IGNORED

WW2 Discussions

sticks 1969

On 06/05/2020 at 21:47, Lew-T said:

You’d think the Americans had done it all on the their own going by war movies. 

If it wasn’t for pearl harbour, who knows what would have happened. 

And Hitler declaring war on america very soon after as part of the tripartite pact....though still surprising his generals as technically with Japan being the aggressor Germany were not obliged by the terms of the agreement..

Proof if needed that Hitler was indeed nuts!!

On 06/05/2020 at 21:41, Frenchay Red said:

Need to check the numbers there. Soviet deaths at least 10 X the UK & US.

In the order of 25 million, if not more.

Battle of Stalingrad alone accounted for more Soviet deaths than all the UK& US deaths in WW2.

75% to 80% of WW2 was fought on the eastern front.

I recommend Russia's War by the renown expert Richard Overy, to dispel the "we won the war" nonsense.

Certainly for part of the war Russia employed 'barrier troops',,just to keep things neat & tidy...

No concept of reducing attrition upon their men whatsoever - they had the numbers and literally threw bodies at it...terrible.

The brilliant series 'World at War', narrated by Sir Laurence Olivier, always a source for information. Never ceases to amaze me how key pivotal events (like Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, Stalingrad etc) had the overall outcome on a knife edge and the end result could've been very very different. The Russian losses are almost unfathomable and unbelievable, such is their scale.

I don’t know if anybody else listens to the Hardcore History podcast, but there’s an excellent mini-series on the German v USSR side of the war. It’s unbelievable just how many people died in the East.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-ghosts-ostfront-series/

Unfortunately I don’t think that one is free anymore, but you might be able to “acquire” it if you look around. 

On 10/05/2020 at 07:12, BanburyRed said:

The brilliant series 'World at War', narrated by Sir Laurence Olivier, always a source for information. Never ceases to amaze me how key pivotal events (like Battle of Britain, Pearl Harbor, Stalingrad etc) had the overall outcome on a knife edge and the end result could've been very very different. The Russian losses are almost unfathomable and unbelievable, such is their scale.

Russian cemetery overlooking Bratislava....was there about 15 years ago,,,stunning spot.

The battle for Bratislava was April 1945 and Russian dead in this cemetery number about 7,000....speaks volumes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Archived