Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Seneca the Younger

Who is our German equivelant?

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Werder Bremen have won some Bundesliga titles so that's a questionable equivalent @Bar BS3

Fortuna have won a number of Cups.

Koln have played in Europe. Probably won trophies too?

Should pick a fairly big city club who haven't won a major trophy, for a start..

I didn't claim they were our equivalent. I explained why, if any, I kept an eye on their results. 

Bremen however, as a city, does have similarities to Bristol. 

I think anyone looking for a close match to a team in the top tier of German football is probably being optimistic, for now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 16/05/2020 at 20:20, RED4LIFE said:

I would say Fortuna Dusseldorf is a similar club to City. 

Both cities populations are similar, they play in red and white and have won very little throughout their history.

Dusseldorf is a very nice city too.

It also has the longest bar in the world - actually, that's not strictly true, but the bars in the old town are sort of inter-connected and the locals claim it is all one big bar. They also have their own local beer, Altbier, which is more like a traditional English beer, rather than the ubiquitous 'lager' type beers found throughout Germany.

• Like 1

TSV 1860 Munchen all day.

Huge city, but they've done very little.

Failing that, what about Fortuna Koln, rather than FC?

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hannover seems a good shout though, just checked their honours- very little, big city club, but not much.

I think this would flatter us somewhat, considering the number of seasons Hannover have to their name in the top division of der Bundesliga.

I think we are looking for the name of a German club where most on here go: never heard of them before ....

On 16/05/2020 at 11:44, magunn said:

How about Hannover 96. Currently in German 2nd Division not won anything for best part of 70 years. Similar population to Bristol

Bristols twin town I believe.

On 16/05/2020 at 11:36, cidercity1987 said:

I'd struggle to imagine there are any clubs like us from a big city and done nothing ever.

Essen is a bigger city than Bristol with a truly shit football side.

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It also has the longest bar in the world - actually, that's not strictly true, but the bars in the old town are sort of inter-connected and the locals claim it is all one big bar. They also have their own local beer, Altbier, which is more like a traditional English beer, rather than the ubiquitous 'lager' type beers found throughout Germany.

Had a couple of cracking nights out in a fair few of those that make up that big bar in the Old Town. 

On 17/05/2020 at 16:44, Bar BS3 said:

I didn't claim they were our equivalent. I explained why, if any, I kept an eye on their results. 

Bremen however, as a city, does have similarities to Bristol. 

I think anyone looking for a close match to a team in the top tier of German football is probably being optimistic, for now. 

Agree Bristol and Bremen are very similar, same destruction in WWII, same historic industries, inland port, shitty postwar rebuilds amongst beautiful old buildings, river running through the city. I felt really at home when I lived there

• Like 1

On 16/05/2020 at 11:02, Seneca the Younger said:

With the German league back today, I need a proper german team. Big city that's never achieved anything, friendly people with an ever present sense of dread yet an incredibly laid back attitude, progressive club with the right morals, etc. 

What club is this in Germany?

Twin city is Hanover  went to Bayern Munich for my 60th but im told Dortmond has a city following have watched Man city in champions league versus Monchengladbach  couple of years back.

On 16/05/2020 at 22:27, sglosbcfc said:

In the late 80s I never missed an away game with City. I remember a City fan who always wore a white German bomber jacket with the German flag across the chest. He seemed to attend every game and always had that coat on. I wonder if he still goes down the gate? I'd guess he'd be late 50s now.

Think the lad your talking about is pete they call hm blitz drinks in the  Trooper and yes he still goes.

• Like 1

That is great, too many of the old regulars now have a season ticket in the stand in the sky. Although as I said I would imagine he is only in his 50s as i would guess he was 20s when i used to see him every away game in the late 80s.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Think the lad your talking about is pete they call hm blitz drinks in the  Trooper and yes he still goes.

Always smile at the nickname.