Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

The most depressing thing


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Don’t see him being here next season if season ends like today. We will have moved further away with good investment.  

Unfortunately I think the situation we are in will give him more excuses. I would have fired him after today's game. No win in 7 for a team 'going' for the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A wise man once said the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again. In Lansdown’s case, standing by Johnson. Stick with the same clown, expect the same performances/results.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hodge said:

Wow the standard of 'depressing' (of all words to use) is having a manager whose turned us into a top 10 team? Yeah you're right I'd much rather have manager who plays a bit more expansively and we're fighting relegation instead 🙄

Does it really make difference being a top 10 side if you’re always fall short of finishing top 6.

You can’t have watched that today & thought oh well we gave it go, didn’t win but at least we’re still in the top 10.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The most depressing thing is how one shite game can affect so many on here.  

We're just coming out of a global pandemic with more than 40k dead.  

You're leading a very lucky life if losing to Blackburn is like God pissing on your cornflakes!!

We might have all been looking forward to it, but it's a game of football FFS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Thank god after 25 years I have not renewed next year 

3 months off and I was genuinely re-considering over the last few days 

Thanks for today LJ ...you’ve saved me £450 

Well done totally agree

Why would anybody pay £450 fo a LJ season ticket

He is clueless

 

 

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

The most depressing thing is how one shite game can affect so many on here.  

We're just coming out of a global pandemic with more than 40k dead.  

You're leading a very lucky life if losing to Blackburn is like God pissing on your cornflakes!!

We might have all been looking forward to it, but it's a game of football FFS.

It did not affect Blackburn with their WEAKENED team!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Does it really make difference being a top 10 side if you’re always fall short of finishing top 6.

You can’t have watched that today & thought oh well we gave it go, didn’t win but at least we’re still in the top 10.

No I'm far from happy at how we played, but 'depressed' at the idea of another season of Johnson in charge? If he made it a full season next year it would be because league standing and/or performances merited it. Johnson himself said there were no excuses for today so I expect to see better next week, but I won't base the prospect of next season based on 1 game where we haven't played for 3 months after 3/4 weeks back training and a max 225 mins of game time to prepare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When you’re at fault for two goals, gave the ball away from another pass out, and therefore create a lack of confidence, then yes you do.  A friendly is a better barometer than training isn’t it?  He’s carried that into today hasn’t he....therefore a bloody good barometer.

I’m not beating our player, I’m saying he’s costing us goals, both pre-covid, Friendlies and now vital league games.  Do we just let him continue, and erode confidence in those playing in front of him?  I’d rather make a bold call and go Maenpaa, which is what LJ did pre-covid when Bentley has a knock and had recovered.

I really rate Maenpaa, I agree with you there ... he’s a solid keeper. Perhaps he deserves to be back in as the number 1 ... I didn’t even know we’d played Saints in a friendly, I’d pretty much given up on this season ... was there tv, or social media, coverage of that game then?

I’m sipping Malbec here and grinning at the reactions on here - not knocking anyone’s opinion at all ... every view is valid. One game back, one defeat and it’s all doom and gloom again ... I’m just biding my time before I wax lyrical about Neil Warnock ...😇😆😳🍷

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedSkin said:

The most depressing thing is how one shite game can affect so many on here.  

We're just coming out of a global pandemic with more than 40k dead.  

You're leading a very lucky life if losing to Blackburn is like God pissing on your cornflakes!!

We might have all been looking forward to it, but it's a game of football FFS.

I believe we’re all more than capable of separating our feelings between the various world events going on right now - for many football this is a welcome distraction.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He’s said, again, he will need to reassess and pick a team he can trust. That also worries me. Must be the 4th/5th time this season

And there you go. Que another mass change in personal and probably formation for the next game.

Has anybody on here managed to name his line up in any game this season?

Is it possible for anyone to predict the line up for any of the remaining games? Impossible I would have thought.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

LJ has built 3 good teams since being with us imo.

17/18 narrow 442

Absolutely loved that team. But it did fall apart very badly after christmas.

18/19 4141

15 game unbeaten run. And I think we won most of those games. Was not great to watch, but we were fantastic over that christmas period. It kind of fell apart after again though!

19/20 352

Okay did not last long at all! It stopped working after we lost Afobe. However brief it was, I thought that was something that could have got us far this season.

We went back to a 4141 with Fam up top and won 4 in a row this season at one stage. So that was a good little spell too. Defensively very solid. We moved away from that after we signed Wells.

Just thought I would post this as a reminder that LJ can get it right!

But now he says himself there are no excuses.

He quickly needs to work out what to do, because I could not see what the plan was today. 

It should be easier with better players, surely! How can we look solid and create chances to win a game?

It surely can't be that difficult a job for any good head coach when you have the players, can it?

Edited by JonDolman
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

It’s ok though, he’s putting the ‘team he can trust’ out next weekend. 

So that’s Weimann & Watkins back into the lineup. 

We could have used The pair of those today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The most depressing thing is that LJ persists in believing a team with more than 1, possibly 2, consistently inconsistent lightweights can sustain a challenge for a play-off place. 

If the penny has not dropped by now, it never will.

His stubbornness - the same type of bloody-mindless that afflicted Cotts in his latter days -  in believing he can build a team around ‘mini-me’s’ will ultimately be his downfall. 

Cotts left a small squad of quality players for LJ to inherit.

 I fear the bloated squad that LJ will leave will need a lot more work to get the right balance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hodge said:

No I'm far from happy at how we played, but 'depressed' at the idea of another season of Johnson in charge? If he made it a full season next year it would be because league standing and/or performances merited it. Johnson himself said there were no excuses for today so I expect to see better next week, but I won't base the prospect of next season based on 1 game where we haven't played for 3 months after 3/4 weeks back training and a max 225 mins of game time to prepare.

Fair point - I’m not suggesting that depression is an appropriate term either btw. 

I would like this talented team to set up and take games to the opposition but it’s frustrating watching the management deploy tactics like today.

I’d rather we were more adventurous in our aim for Top 6 rather than settle for one place higher than last season.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

quote LJ " its a missed chance" well yes it is Lee just like the others were when we get anywhere near the top six.

He then goes on to blame the players, you know the ones he brought here and then forms into a well trained unit.

There is only one person to blame for our fall aways, look in the mirrior and you will see him, cut the "we did everything right" crap we didnt and its YOUR fault. You are right though "there are no excuses" 🤔 for you:sub:

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I really rate Maenpaa, I agree with you there ... he’s a solid keeper. Perhaps he deserves to be back in as the number 1 ... I didn’t even know we’d played Saints in a friendly, I’d pretty much given up on this season ... was there tv, or social media, coverage of that game then?

yes, worth watching the highlights.....Bents is in a slump.

I’m sipping Malbec here and grinning at the reactions on here - not knocking anyone’s opinion at all ... every view is valid. One game back, one defeat and it’s all doom and gloom again ... I’m just biding my time before I wax lyrical about Neil Warnock ...😇😆😳🍷

Merlot for me.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

what a waste of my time watching the blacburn game on tv, thank god for the lock down otherwise i would have wasted my money along with others, I thought the cardboard cut outs werer meant to in the stands and not on the pitch wearing black, come on Cheltenham bring some pride back to the west country

Edited by oldland3
corrections
Link to post
Share on other sites

We had, though couldn't necessarily exploit it- perhaps LJ didn't know how to exploit it, some good opportunities today.

Not in terms of what we actually did but in terms of what we were up against. Look at the flanks.

Unexpected bonus. Elliott Bennett at RB. Seen better days and with Gallagher IIRC on the right, a DaSilva-Eliasson left side could've had a great time...couldn't it?

An injury crisis at LB. Cunningham out, some doubt over Bell and Williams and they field Rankin Costello a right sided midfielder with as per Wiki less than 10 games, aged 19 in that position. Combine with a 35 year old Downing- unexpected bonus number 2...

Well, Hunt at RB is gong to have a fair chance here- on this side!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He’s said, again, he will need to reassess and pick a team he can trust. That also worries me. Must be the 4th/5th time this season

Trust to do what though? If it's playing ineffective long balls, being out muscled in midfield and generally looking poor then there are no trust issues with that team today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He’s said, again, he will need to reassess and pick a team he can trust. That also worries me. Must be the 4th/5th time this season

If he’s said that now yet again, with all the choices he has that are his players, all the money he has spent and the amount of time that he has had then that really is depressing. Couldn’t give a hoot about going up or not this season and today shows me we are nowhere near (both our game and the standard in the Fulham / Brentford game which was light years ahead in terms of quality) but to keep hearing the same old tosh being rolled out by him yet again is laughable. How does SL fall for it time and time again? 

Edited by lenred
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

If only that were true. However bad we are, however insane his team selection, he appears totally secure. Thanks to SL. 

I reckon SL gives Lee one more go, next season. That'll be five full seasons. If he hasn't at least delivered one 6th place and a play-off shot in five goes at it, he can say he has given him a very fair chance but has been able to draw the conclusion that Lee is not quite up to it.

If Preston and Brentford make the top six this season, there is no excuse for Lee, after five attempts. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some fans say they dont really care, or they have given up on the season anyway;

They care and this and any defeat hurts, otherwise they wouldnt even be posting on here.

Reality is however we will get back on the LJ roundabout and ride it again and again, never really getting anywhere.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lenred said:

. How does SL fall for it time and time again? 

He closes his eyes, and remembers the summer of 2015, and the shambles and the tears and the tantrums and the incompetence and the sulking and part-filled subs bench and the training ground fights and the hammerings home and away and the spats with fans and the bit where no-one fancied sacking Cotts face to face cos they were a bit, well, you know, wary, and .... he remembers all this, and looks at what he's got now, and he thinks: could be a lot worse. And we're still getting 20 thousand. And we're still 7th to 9th. And, if we can just .....

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He closes his eyes, and remembers the summer of 2015, and the shambles and the tears and the tantrums and the incompetence and the sulking and part-filled subs bench and the training ground fights and the hammerings home and away and the spats with fans and the bit where no-one fancied sacking Cotts face to face cos they were a bit, well, you know, wary, and .... he remembers all this, and looks at what he's got now, and he thinks: could be a lot worse. And we're still getting 20 thousand. And we're still 7th to 9th. And, if we can just .....

out of likes - this is spot on

 

Edited by Red Exile
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

When you’re at fault for two goals, gave the ball away from another pass out, and therefore create a lack of confidence, then yes you do.  A friendly is a better barometer than training isn’t it?  He’s carried that into today hasn’t he....therefore a bloody good barometer.

I’m not beating our player, I’m saying he’s costing us goals, both pre-covid, Friendlies and now vital league games.  Do we just let him continue, and erode confidence in those playing in front of him?  I’d rather make a bold call and go Maenpaa, which is what LJ did pre-covid when Bentley has a knock and had recovered.

I agree with this.

Bentley's confidence had dipped before his injury and a few mistakes were creeping into his game. The mistakes he made in the Southampton game should have told LJ that he's not over it yet. Maenpaa has done nothing wrong and should have started. It was his jersy pre lockdown.

I thought that was what competition was all about. Each pushing the other.

I recall LJ doing something similar before with Richard O'Donnell dropping him for a half fit Frankie who had to come off injured part way through a match. It must have ruined O'Donnell's confidence. Hardly good coaching skills.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

He closes his eyes, and remembers the summer of 2015, and the shambles and the tears and the tantrums and the incompetence and the sulking and part-filled subs bench and the training ground fights and the hammerings home and away and the spats with fans and the bit where no-one fancied sacking Cotts face to face cos they were a bit, well, you know, wary, and .... he remembers all this, and looks at what he's got now, and he thinks: could be a lot worse. And we're still getting 20 thousand. And we're still 7th to 9th. And, if we can just .....

Not getting into a debate about Cotts - it’s been done to death. But if it is a case of settling for ‘easy street’ then it’s a pretty sad indictment on his part. Wouldn’t disagree with your evaluation, it’s the ‘if we can just’ part that just won’t happen though imho. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...