Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Interesting Facts/Stats


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Weird facts like that blow my mind.

What interesting/weird/unusual football facts do you know?

Not so weird, but I told one to my Dad earlier.

Sean Dyche and Roy Hodgson have just one club in common between their playing and managerial careers combined. Thay was Bristol City.

Hodgson joined City as Assistant Manager 17 years before Dyche joined as a player (becoming manager 15 years before Dyche arrived).

And Dyche last played for us over 20 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Goalkeepers playing to 40 or so Is not so unusual. Matthews is the freak, playing outfield into his 50s. His training methods (much harder than his peers) and attitude to diet (going without meat a few days each week)were 60-70 years ahead of their time.

The one player that I can imagine going on for a lot longer than the norm is Cristiano Ronaldo. You may not like him but there are many similarities to Matthews in terms of single-minded attitude and desire to succeed.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Goalkeepers playing to 40 or so Is not so unusual. Matthews is the freak, playing outfield into his 50s. His training methods (much harder than his peers) and attitude to diet (going without meat a few days each week)were 60-70 years ahead of their time.

The one player that I can imagine going on for a lot longer than the norm is Cristiano Ronaldo. You may not like him but there are many similarities to Matthews in terms of single-minded attitude and desire to succeed.

Yeah he'll go on into his 40's

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nigel Spink, the ex Aston Villa goalkeeper who played in the 1982 European Cup final,  is the only person called Nigel who has played in a European final. His last appearance for Villa was as a substitute and he came on as an outfield player 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Nigel Spink, the ex Aston Villa goalkeeper who played in the 1982 European Cup final,  is the only person called Nigel who has played in a European final.

 

43 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The guy spink replaced was called rimmer...

The fact that Aston Vile went on to win this final was because Bayern hadn't made any plans for Nigel...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not football related but I find it interesting: Blackcurrants were once illegal in the US and their cultivation is still banned in many states. 

Can't get Ribena over there. Most Americans have never tasted a blackcurrant. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Lets hope the usa dont get their hands on another long ashton product.

Cider, imagine that lot getting hold of that!

In colonial America, cider was the drink for the masses much like beer was over here, weaker cider/ beer for the kids

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

In colonial America, cider was the drink for the masses much like beer was over here, weaker cider/ beer for the kids

It's now making a big comeback. Fortunately for me here in Colorado there are some good Cideries putting out some great Ciders

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, City_USA said:

It's now making a big comeback. Fortunately for me here in Colorado there are some good Cideries putting out some great Ciders

Lucky you! up here in Canada it is too, but all the ones I've tasted are just way too sweet for my liking

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Lucky you! up here in Canada it is too, but all the ones I've tasted are just way too sweet for my liking

We are lucky. Granted there are quite a few that are very sweet and some with strange additions like Hibiscus or Lavender to appeal to the American masses (WTF), however most if not all offer an "Off Dry", "Semi Dry" or "Dry" some of which are great. My favorite here is Stem Cider. Try it if you can find it. Another I quite like is Seattle Dry. Granted none of them stand up to Thatchers, however it's great having a decent variety.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Goal keeper Mike Gibson saved a penalty on his debut for City. When he retired, he was replaced by Ray Cashley who..... saved a penalty on his debut.

79/80(?) season, City had a different goalie for three consecutive league matches.

Neither Chelsea, nor Manchester City have ever won a League game at Ashton Gate.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Lucky you! up here in Canada it is too, but all the ones I've tasted are just way too sweet for my liking

Same in Michigan. I'm not even sure it has any alcoholic content. Tastes just like cloudy apple juice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Shamelessly stolen from Twitter, but interesting:

Lee Johnson has used more #BristolCity players (21) in the two games since the Championship restarted last week than Wolves have used ALL SEASON in the Premier League (20).

I think you stole it from a few posts up.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...