Who do you want as next City manager - Poll

Who do you want as next City manager - Poll  

1,413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hughton is certainly interested. 
Lots of people think he wouldn’t come here, but I understand he would. 

Hughton has no reason to turn us down apart from maybe coaching staff .. Depends on Holden and McAllister maybe?

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Totally get what you’re saying chaps. 

I just think we’re at a bit of a crossroads now. SL has put together this club philosophy, something he’d been working on for years as his vision. 
When SOD came aboard, it was with this overall vision in mind. But then he ripped that up with the SC appointment. 
He then went back to the vision with LJ. And he was seen as the pair of hands that would steer us on the path of this vision for many years. 

We’re now at a point where the vision could ‘potentially’ be ripped up again. 

We are at a 3-way junction. 
We can carry straight on and appoint someone who will be a good pair of hands and work within the vision, but perhaps be a younger, unproven man, or someone with lower level success - like a Ryan Lowe, Paul Cook, Gareth Ainsworth. 

Or we can turn right and appoint someone who has done it at this level, a Hughton or Jokanovic. I’d agree that these would be the most likely and sensible appointments. But, this might mean tearing a few strips in the overall vision and structure. 

Or we can turn left, go totally leftfield, with someone who will be a decent enough coach, but will be a real profile-raiser outside of our club. We do still suffer from ‘little Bristol City’ mentality. We no doubt miss out on good players because we’re still seen as a bit of a footballing backwater. A Gerrard-type appointment would potentially be a catalyst to lift the club out of that mentality and perception. Money talks in football, of course, but so does a vision. Having a Gerrard-type may attract a different calibre of player too. 

As said earlier, I’m not saying this is a realistic option, but SL is at an important crossroads now. Carry on with a young coach, take a proven coach but sacrifice the structural integrity, or go for broke with a ‘name’. I’m not just talking any ‘name’, for this option it’d have to be a huge name with worldwide respect - Gerrard would be respected by fans, players and media alike, and would be an interesting statement of intent. 

Great post.  I'm thinking along similar lines.  Just wrote a ridiculously long post comparing the football and rugby sides on another thread.   We need someone able to manage upwards like Pat Lam does for the rugby team...  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Lez said:

Completely disagree. Seem to remember Michael Appleton was odds on when Cotrerill was sacked.....managing in l1 or l2 at the time.

MA came out and said he wasnt sn option due to where we are as a club and where we are looking to go.....we are now wanting promotion, not championship security.....yet linked to a guy who yes got promoted from l2 but little else in his managerial career.

To put it bluntly Lowe is there as an outlier, no chance we will be even seriously considering him.

I disagree. He’s well respected in the game and seen as a talented manager, with 2 promo’s already to his name. 
Of course he puts himself into the conversation. Not saying it’s a serious consideration or even likely, but any club of our standing would at the very least have a conversation about him. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I disagree. He’s well respected in the game and seen as a talented manager, with 2 promo’s already to his name. 
Of course he puts himself into the conversation. Not saying it’s a serious consideration or even likely, but any club of our standing would at the very least have a conversation about him. 

"What about Ryan Lowe?"

"No"

Conversation over. 

Edited by Lez
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. 

The problem is there are a number of very good managers now at this level. Anyone can beat anyone.

We could have Houghton a few years and not make it and not see particularly good football.

I would rather we just go for it. A bit like Norwich did last season. If we don't go up then we don't, but we are seeing attacking, attractive football whilst trying to get there.

Right with you there JD.  

From a personal point of view, it was the standard of our football, rather than position in the table that was the reason I wanted LJ gone.  I’d hate to think we’d settle for someone else with a rep for uninspiring football, in the hope that their promotion record might just give us a better chance of promotion, but still with poor football.

If we can get someone who can deliver some good football, at least we’ve been entertained, even if we don’t go up.

Horses for courses I suppose and often fans want different things, but I really hope we go out for the best appointment we possibly can and don’t just go for a relatively cheap punt, or who delivers dull football.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 40 Years of Hurt said:

I reckon Kenny Jacket would be a good shout if Portsmouth don’t go up through playoffs. He has a good win record and knows League 1 players 

Always liked KJ, seems a really genuine bloke, gives an honest concise interview, would fit our developing young players philosophy, been around a bit.

Many will say an uninspiring choice though but a good shout IMO.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
25 minutes ago, Floatn Over said:

Always liked KJ, seems a really genuine bloke, gives an honest concise interview, would fit our developing young players philosophy, been around a bit.

Passed his sell by date now. 

• Like 1

Yeah or Brentford. Or Fulham promotion season. Or Leeds style under Bielsa.

Or even LJs old philosophy. Don't know what happened to that!

If we are going with youth then we are not going to beat teams in a kind of playing percentages kind of way like LJ seems to have been doing more the longer he has been here.

We can't play the likes of Moore, Dasilva, Morrell, Walsh, Massengo, Szmodics and beat teams by playing this way.

We need that extra body in midfield and we need to out play teams on the deck.

We got players that look class on the ball. It's vital we get in a manager who will play the right way.

I think some have a better balance than others but I agree with overarching point- I think Leeds structurally not bad, don't concede a huge number of chances etc. Jokanovic bit open but great to watch- all excellent though.

I totally agree with the rest of your post. Not fully sold on Szmodics yet but 100%. Have to play the right way, have to look to outplay sides in general.

Yeah or Brentford. Or Fulham promotion season. Or Leeds style under Bielsa.

Or even LJs old philosophy. Don't know what happened to that!

If we are going with youth then we are not going to beat teams in a kind of playing percentages kind of way like LJ seems to have been doing more the longer he has been here.

We can't play the likes of Moore, Dasilva, Morrell, Walsh, Massengo, Szmodics and beat teams by playing this way.

We need that extra body in midfield and we need to out play teams on the deck.

We got players that look class on the ball. It's vital we get in a manager who will play the right way.

I think some have a better balance than others but I agree with overarching point- I think Leeds structurally not bad, don't concede a huge number of chances etc. Jokanovic bit open but great to watch- all excellent though.

I totally agree with the rest of your post. Not fully sold on Szmodics yet but 100%. Have to play the right way, have to look to outplay sides in general.

2 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Lez said:

Passed his sell by date now. 

So I guess you’re saying

image.png.154e58414252b43f431fc1802efb719b.png

• Haha 2
39 minutes ago, ForeverRed said:

Is Mauricio Pochettino available?

We should aim high!

Yes but we couldn’t afford him. And that would be more of a coup than Bielsa to Leeds.

Jokanović for me. He has achieved promotion to the Premier League both directly and through the playoffs, plus his teams have been good to watch, unlike Hughton whose teams win effectively rather than excite. That said a team that knew how to defend and score themselves would be a major step forward right now!

8 hours ago, marcofisher said:

He would probably see himself as the long-term successor to Klopp, like Lampard at Chelsea. If he stays at Rangers he is less at risk of looking average in the Championship. 

Can't see him going to any big club soon if he keeps coming second in a two-horse race

Whoever gets this job is going to get the same poisoned chalice that Derek McInnes got. 

Bloated squad that needs trimming with no money to spend. SL really did back the wrong horse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Whoever gets this job is going to get the same poisoned chalice that Derek McInnes got. 

Bloated squad that needs trimming with no money to spend. SL really did back the wrong horse. 

We really are in a mess I fear.

While having a bloated squad, trying to fit any pieces together to make a team is near impossible.

Ultimately this was LJs downfall. No matter how many times he threw the pieces up in the air, they never fell into place to make a team. 

Whatever formation 442, 352 etc, it just doesn’t work and exposes major weaknesses.

We’ve got to do some major trading over the Summer and build a team, not just collect players as if we’re in a toy shop and randomly grab what we fancy off the shelves. 

Frankly, the only player I wouldn’t be willing to trade would be Maenpaa - and he’s likely the first to be gone.

That’s a pretty damming indictment of where we are at present! 

• Like 2

There must be other relatively unknown German coaches who have worked under Klopp out there, just waiting for their chance. It worked for Huddersfield and Norwich.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, RedRock said:

We really are in a mess I fear.

While having a bloated squad, trying to fit any pieces together to make a team is near impossible.

Ultimately this was LJs downfall. No matter how many times he threw the pieces up in the air, they never fell into place to make a team. 

Whatever formation 442, 352 etc, it just doesn’t work and exposes major weaknesses.

We’ve got to do some major trading over the Summer and build a team, not just collect players as if we’re in a toy shop and randomly grab what we fancy off the shelves. 

Frankly, the only player I wouldn’t be willing to trade would be Maenpaa - and he’s likely the first to be gone.

That’s a pretty damming indictment of where we are at present! 

Cheer up Red......I have a feeling that unlike Lee, a new proper manager will get the best out of those players and you will see huge improvement with many of them......it may feel like a new squad! 

• Like 1

It has to be Hughton for me. He’s the manager that can do what LJ did best in making us an established championship team, so there would be no worry of us doing an Ipswich but more importantly can do what LJ couldn’t, and have us fighting for promotion and in my opinion, top 2. 
Jokanovic is a very close 2nd. I really hope we don’t go for an up and coming manager or someone who has done well in the lower leagues. It very rarely ever works for championship teams, we finally need to go big in the managerial department. Get someone in who has done it in this league before. 

There are quite a few managers without jobs at the moment. 

Arsene Wenger - all but retired but is a manager of world class quality.

Marco Silva - Once Everton ?

Sam Allardyce - like him or hate him he would definitely do the job.

Chris Houghton - I think is most talked about and everyone’s favourite 

Leonardo Jardim - ex Monaco.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

True but this time we have valuable players that could be traded . 

All the new man has to decide is which style of play he wants to utilise and then sell off the clubs in the bag that he no longer needs. 

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

I forgot Joe Royle as well. He is well experienced and still has a couple of years left in him 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

There is more quality in the squad now than back then. The challenge facing the new regime will be to trim the squad numbers and find a shape that suits them. I expect we will need to cash in on some players to fix some of the remaining holes (RB, GK, CM) but it isn’t an impossible task. 

29 minutes ago, City oz said:

Why not add Rafa Benitez into the list

No chance we will appoint a manager of this profile

7 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

Ryan Lowe the new favourite 

There are those who say they just want to be entertained, so this sounds promising.

”He is attack-minded, and Bury in 2018-19 were one of the Football League's highest-scoring teams; their style, described as "gung-ho",[3] soon brought success as the club finished second in League Two and earned promotion back to League One.[34] Lowe explained in an interview with The Guardian that he wanted to instil a "winning philosophy" and that, by outscoring their opponents, Bury would have a greater chance of achieving that goal. The on-field strategy is effectively a 3-1-4-2 formation”

Whether it will work at Championship level who knows.