IGNORED

How do you budget without knowing your revenue streams ?

Major Isewater

This is an almighty problem, how do clubs budget for the next season ?

No one knows when the stadium will be open or how much television money is going to be available 

Do you offer your next potential head coach a package and hope that all returns to normal or do you budget for an empty ground and reduced TV receipts ? 

Could this be why the Post have stated that an appointment will not be made early. 

I believe that we are well placed to come through this difficult period but changes will need to be made . 

Strange and slightly worrying times . 

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Work out the costs the club will incur this coming season if fans can't return for any of it and the club's position to FFP and how much you can lose this season to fall within £39m or whatever the EFL are revising with regards to FFP, once you've worked that out you can start to plan transfers. You can't assume any Robins TV income as presumably they'll have to offer refunds on season tickets again.

It's times like this that I'm glad we have SL as an owner but that only goes some way to patching over the cracks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some loosening of the FFP rules but let's hope that this doesn't lead to irresponsible gambles.

I'd say that the non PL leagues need to come together and take-on the PL about the money they take and get some fairer distribution of the cash, if only on a temporary basis.

Football players have a part to play in this as well i.e. they can't carry on in the same way while their house is burning down around them. I'm not for salary caps, but when needs be, I'm for a temporary implementation.

I'd like to get agents banned but never going to happen. They have a part to play in this as well but not sure what.

Personally, I can't see us being allowed back to Ashton Gate till next January at the earliest so they'd better get some plans in place damn soon.

6 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

It's times like this that I'm glad we have SL as an owner but that only goes some way to patching over the cracks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some loosening of the FFP rules but let's hope that this doesn't lead to irresponsible gambles.

I'd say that the non PL leagues need to come together and take-on the PL about the money they take and get some fairer distribution of the cash, if only on a temporary basis.

Football players have a part to play in this as well i.e. they can't carry on in the same way while their house is burning down around them. I'm not for salary caps, but when needs be, I'm for a temporary implementation.

I'd like to get agents banned but never going to happen. They have a part to play in this as well but not sure what.

Personally, I can't see us being allowed back to Ashton Gate till next January at the earliest so they'd better get some plans in place damn soon.

Premier league will never agree, think Parry will have to fight hard to even get parachute payments more evenly distributed almost 3/4's of EFL money from the Premier League goes to clubs with parachute payments. 

Personal opinion I think last set of accounts should be looked at and owners should be allowed to put in the amount equal to the clubs income to make up for the loss rather than just the £8m they can at present, obviously will differ club to club on owner willingness and how much you can put in.

44 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

No one knows when the stadium will be open or how much television money is going to be available 

Do you offer your next potential head coach a package and hope that all returns to normal or do you budget for an empty ground and reduced TV receipts ? 

Could this be why the Post have stated that an appointment will not be made early. 

I believe that we are well placed to come through this difficult period but changes will need to be made . 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Work out the costs the club will incur this coming season if fans can't return for any of it and the club's position to FFP and how much you can lose this season to fall within £39m or whatever the EFL are revising with regards to FFP, once you've worked that out you can start to plan transfers. You can't assume any Robins TV income as presumably they'll have to offer refunds on season tickets again.

You budget for behind closed doors, and you evaluate regularly.  If that happens to coincide with January Window (or whenever the windows are going to be), you position yourself to take advantage.

@Major Isewateri replied to you earlier with a rough guess of our finances.  Can’t remember which thread that was in.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I can see the leagues and governing bodies deferring FFP to allow owners to prop up their clubs for the forseeable. This will mean some take the piss but should reduce the number of clubs in trouble.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic, in Mid June 2020, UEFA released a plan to relax Financial Fair Flay (FFP) Regulations, saying in a press release that it (the plan) planned to, “aim at addressing the actual problem which is revenue shortfall due to COVID-19 and not financial mismanagement." UEFA Planned to give clubs more time to prove that they met the requirements of Financial Fair Play (FFP) Regulations instead of 2020 to 2021. 

Guardian article saying the same. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/18/uefa-agree-to-suspend-financial-fair-play-rules-due-to-pandemic

2020 is basically a write off and FFP will be 2019-2021. Clubs can go over €30m as long as it shows that the fall in revenue was the reason for the breach. 

In terms of the original topic it's hard to budget given the only guaranteed money coming in will be the TV deal and merchandise (which fluctuates) but as has been said you plan for no gate revenue. 

It'll be interesting because I think a few clubs will need to sell players to balance the books but there won't be much of a market because clubs (minus Premier league clubs) will have money to spend. 

1 hour ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Taken from Wikipedia:

Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic, in Mid June 2020, UEFA released a plan to relax Financial Fair Flay (FFP) Regulations, saying in a press release that it (the plan) planned to, “aim at addressing the actual problem which is revenue shortfall due to COVID-19 and not financial mismanagement." UEFA Planned to give clubs more time to prove that they met the requirements of Financial Fair Play (FFP) Regulations instead of 2020 to 2021. 

Guardian article saying the same. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/18/uefa-agree-to-suspend-financial-fair-play-rules-due-to-pandemic

2020 is basically a write off and FFP will be 2019-2021. Clubs can go over €30m as long as it shows that the fall in revenue was the reason for the breach. 

In terms of the original topic it's hard to budget given the only guaranteed money coming in will be the TV deal and merchandise (which fluctuates) but as has been said you plan for no gate revenue. 

It'll be interesting because I think a few clubs will need to sell players to balance the books but there won't be much of a market because clubs (minus Premier league clubs) will have money to spend. 

EFL / PL yet to announce their guidance.  Our rules are already more relaxed than UEFA, e.g. bigger limits, so we’ll have to wait and see.

Archived