Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Attendance from October/Fans Return (Merged)

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/shows/totally-football-league-show-efl-podcast/

This podcast has a really interesting first 15 minutes. The presenters interview the CEO of Shrewsbury Town, Brian Caldwell. Shrewsbury are one of the clubs piloting the return of 1,000 fans this weekend. Shrewsbury currently have about 2,700 ST holders and the interview covers the processes behind this pilot.

In summary:

Caldwell says that in terms of preparation the club received an email from from the EFL on Tuesday at 11.30am. It sounds like this was an email to all EFL clubs, and it was basically asking if any clubs would be up for being part of the pilot. Responses had to be in by 2pm the same day! Before responding Shrewsbury needed the ok of their SAG, plus the police, ambulance, insurers etc. Mad timeline all around really.

Anyway, Shrewsbury were able to respond positively as they have a 24 acre site, so have plenty of spare space in which to distance fans.

The EFL gave the go ahead to Shrewsbury on Wednesday at 1pm. So they have had Wednesday pm, today, tomorrow, and Saturday morning to prepare for their 3pm Saturday game (against the absolute slugs of football Northampton Town). Naturally it's been mental.

Shrewsbury had prepared 1,000 tickets on Wednesday morning, assuming they'd get the go ahead. Given the timeline they weren't able to do any sort of sophisticated or phased selection system, so it just went first come first served amongst ST holders, going live for purchase at 2pm yesterday. Any ST holder not getting a ticket has been given free streaming access on iFollow. Caldwell said ideally - and if they're part of future pilots - then he's thinking of prioritising ST holders depending on how early they renewed last season.

On Saturday fans will be distanced in their seats, but allowed to sit in small groups, eg people from the same address. Just one stand will be open, no concourse facilities are open, and there's a full one way system for toilets. Lots of stickers, signs and barriers are being put up. There will be catering, but all will be outside, out the back of the stand - again they can do this because of their spacious site.

On 16/09/2020 at 13:23, phantom said:

Up to 1,000 fans will be allowed to attend 10 different English Football League games this weekend as part of the government's crowd pilots.

The news comes as discussions between the EFL and the government about a return for more supporters from 1 October continue.

No fans have attended an EFL fixture since March because of the coronavirus.

Three Championship games, four League One matches and three in League Two have been chosen for this weekend.

The following games, all taking place on Saturday, have been chosen (all kick-off times 15:00 BST unless stated):

Championship

• Luton Town v Derby County
  • Middlesbrough v AFC Bournemouth
  • Norwich City v Preston North End

League One

• Blackpool v Swindon Town
  • Charlton Athletic v Doncaster Rovers
  • Hull City v Crewe Alexandra
  • Shrewsbury Town v Northampton Town

League Two

• Carlisle United v Southend United (13:00 BST)
  • Forest Green Rovers v Bradford City
  • Morecambe v Cambridge United

Don’t Forest Green have a very small ground (5,000 capacity?). That’s a very large percentage and a huge advantage with home support.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

https://www.thetotallyfootballshow.com/shows/totally-football-league-show-efl-podcast/

This podcast has a really interesting first 15 minutes. The presenters interview the CEO of Shrewsbury Town, Brian Caldwell. Shrewsbury are one of the clubs piloting the return of 1,000 fans this weekend. Shrewsbury currently have about 2,700 ST holders and the interview covers the processes behind this pilot.

In summary:

Caldwell says that in terms of preparation the club received an email from from the EFL on Tuesday at 11.30am. It sounds like this was an email to all EFL clubs, and it was basically asking if any clubs would be up for being part of the pilot. Responses had to be in by 2pm the same day! Before responding Shrewsbury needed the ok of their SAG, plus the police, ambulance, insurers etc. Mad timeline all around really.

Anyway, Shrewsbury were able to respond positively as they have a 24 acre site, so have plenty of spare space in which to distance fans.

The EFL gave the go ahead to Shrewsbury on Wednesday at 1pm. So they have had Wednesday pm, today, tomorrow, and Saturday morning to prepare for their 3pm Saturday game (against the absolute slugs of football Northampton Town). Naturally it's been mental.

Shrewsbury had prepared 1,000 tickets on Wednesday morning, assuming they'd get the go ahead. Given the timeline they weren't able to do any sort of sophisticated or phased selection system, so it just went first come first served amongst ST holders, going live for purchase at 2pm yesterday. Any ST holder not getting a ticket has been given free streaming access on iFollow. Caldwell said ideally - and if they're part of future pilots - then he's thinking of prioritising ST holders depending on how early they renewed last season.

On Saturday fans will be distanced in their seats, but allowed to sit in small groups, eg people from the same address. Just one stand will be open, no concourse facilities are open, and there's a full one way system for toilets. Lots of stickers, signs and barriers are being put up. There will be catering, but all will be outside, out the back of the stand - again they can do this because of their spacious site.

Shrewsbury’s new ground was the first away ground I took Joe.  As you describe, it is well set up for a test event.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

I suspect this is going to be wishful thinking as cases start to climb again. I see France have hit 10,500 in one day and they are probably 2-3 weeks ahead of us. October is going to be messy.

And yet rightly or wrongly France are letting considerable numbers into stadiums. Given that our government's (deeply flawed) response to covid 19 is extremely data driven, it will all depend on whether the data shows that cases are being transmitted at sporting events. My money is on very few cases being transmitted in this setting with all the social distancing and hygiene measures in place, plus the fact that it is largely all outside

3 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

With some grounds unable to do test events due to local lockdowns. 
Would it be fair if some clubs got the ok to let in fans permanent when others couldn’t.  Some clubs would be making money and some not, survival could depend on it.

Clubs are applying as test events.

It's these clubs having these test events that in turn will lead to more people being allowed in others

In addition I've only read that clubs letting supporters in are actually making a loss, so no financial gain, just a case of helping other clubs in the longer term

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Clubs are applying as test events.

It's these clubs having these test events that in turn will lead to more people being allowed in others

In addition I've only read that clubs letting supporters in are actually making a loss, so no financial gain, just a case of helping other clubs in the longer term

I know that, I did say permanent if given ok. 

With teams struggling to make ends meet would they be happy if clubs could get fans in if they couldn’t due to no fault of there own except they are in a lockdown area.

34 minutes ago, jrabrewer said:

And yet rightly or wrongly France are letting considerable numbers into stadiums. Given that our government's (deeply flawed) response to covid 19 is extremely data driven, it will all depend on whether the data shows that cases are being transmitted at sporting events. My money is on very few cases being transmitted in this setting with all the social distancing and hygiene measures in place, plus the fact that it is largely all outside

well, this government didn't think there was any risk for 1000s of people to attend Cheltenham 🤷‍♂️

Four pilot events been announced for pre-season matches in the National League

September 22nd Dagenham & Redbridge Vs Concord Rangers

September 22nd Yeovil Vs Bath 

September 22nd Dartford Vs Dover

September 26th Notts County Vs York

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

New guidelines come in up North, no longer allowed to attend or semi professional or amateur sporting events. 
This will have a big effect on FA Cup and FA Vase if fans can’t attend. 

Really poor. With lockdown coming for everyone by looks of it, forget live professional football this season I think.

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

September 22nd Dagenham & Redbridge Vs Concord Rangers

September 22nd Yeovil Vs Bath 

September 22nd Dartford Vs Dover

September 26th Notts County Vs York

Yeovil and Bath not in the same division

6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Really poor. With lockdown coming for everyone by looks of it, forget live professional football this season I think.

OK, there is a thread already discussing the virus. 

A second lockdown is a VERY long way from happening

Survival rate still around 99.9%

Just now, bristolcitysweden said:

Yeovil and Bath not in the same division

Just now, Alex_BCFC said:

Guess it should read pre-season matches for teams in the National League.

It does say that

• Like 1
On 18/09/2020 at 11:43, MarcusX said:

well, this government didn't think there was any risk for 1000s of people to attend Cheltenham 🤷‍♂️

Apparently someone called Baroness Dido Harding (wife of Weston MP John Penrose) is on the Board of Stewards at the Jockey Club, which oversees horse racing in this country and would have had to sanction Cheltenham going ahead. I wonder what happened to her? Talk about a “club”!

• Like 1

Although rates of infection are relatively low in the South West, there is no guarantee that will continue. We were lucky with the first wave that with the exception of Gloucestershire that was probably affected by Cheltenham going ahead, the prevalence of the infection was really low (the lowest in the country) when we went into lockdown in March. That means there is a greater “at risk” population here as well.

Given what is happening in the rest of the country, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some form of national lockdown again in October, not as severe as before, but including suspending these test events. Ideally everyone in the ground including club staff, spectators and everyone on the pitch should be swabbed on arrival at the ground, but I am not clear that has happened anywhere.

• Thanks 1

It's worth noting if it needs repeating that towns/cities under localised restrictive measures are not eligible for such a time as the infections are at such a rate. Obvious.

If I have a small concern about Bristol and sport, it is that the return of students- think quite a few have been here for the duration but return in large numbers will see things flare up and localised restrictive measures will scupper such a return! Already concern that in Oxford it has happened or is happening. Student return causing a spike bit I mean, and obviously that means zero Test events if it reaches such a point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

After this weekend results, could it be said that not having fans in the ground has contributed to teams playing more freely. If you look at the results today and yesterday, the number of goals scored seems a lot higher than usual. There are only a tiny handful of no score draws and in most games there have been 2 or more goals.

Edited by Midlands Robin
4 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Michael Gove just announced at 08:30am on tuesday morning

Can't say I am surprised, personally can't see any fans returning until March onwards when we are through next couple of months crappy weather and normal flu season 

• Like 1

I would not be surprised if they changed the Euro 2020 format and narrow down the amount of countries hosting games . Still a long way off yet and a lot can change . Regarding city will just be our luck to have a great season and not be able to go ,also fear for a lot of the smaller clubs 

Edited by sticks 1969
2 minutes ago, Super said:

Did anyone really think this would happen. I dont think fans will be back this season.

No i didn't think it would happen,

I dont expect fans will be back in any sort of number before a vaccine has been developed and even then I dont think it will be back to normal for a number of years 

• Like 1

I thought that for the first time, this Government might actually be sensible, and realise that restricted attendances at League One and below will be perfectly safe and manageable, and keep the clubs afloat. Championship may be a bit more difficult, but should be achievable, albeit with a low percentage.

I just find it odd that I can’t watch Bath City safely in a socially distanced manner, in a crowd of <1,000, but could drink from 7am to 10pm in a Wetherspoons.