Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Attendance from October/Fans Return (Merged)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

I'm getting really tired of listening to clubs in lower leagues asking the government to bail them out. It's not right that tax payers money funds football. 

Tax payers money needs to pay for the NHS, medical supplies, and supporting people that have fallen on hard times. Some families have lost everything and its distasteful to hear football clubs coming out with cap in hand

This is a football issue that should be solved by football clubs

The wage bill of the premier is more than £2bn. If all players lose 5% of salary for one year, this equates to £100,000,000. Enough to cover the entire wage bill of league one and two.

So many of the tip flight players owe their living to the lower leagues. Time to lose a measly 5% and support them.

Asking the average Joe in the street earning £20k a year to pay his taxes to keep Fleetwood afloat is immoral

Do the right thing football. Let any money we have left in government go to people that really need it 

Rant over 

 

Hard to disagree with any of that tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

I'm getting really tired of listening to clubs in lower leagues asking the government to bail them out. It's not right that tax payers money funds football. 

Tax payers money needs to pay for the NHS, medical supplies, and supporting people that have fallen on hard times. Some families have lost everything and its distasteful to hear football clubs coming out with cap in hand

This is a football issue that should be solved by football clubs

The wage bill of the premier is more than £2bn. If all players lose 5% of salary for one year, this equates to £100,000,000. Enough to cover the entire wage bill of league one and two.

So many of the tip flight players owe their living to the lower leagues. Time to lose a measly 5% and support them.

Asking the average Joe in the street earning £20k a year to pay his taxes to keep Fleetwood afloat is immoral

Do the right thing football. Let any money we have left in government go to people that really need it 

Rant over 

 

Well, I wrote a long response taking this post to pieces and then some (doubtless well meaning) moderator merged threads - probably whilst aware people were reading it. This my reply is lost in the either now.

Suffice to say I'm right and this post above is wrong.

I could even show my workings and everything.

  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

McAnthony (Posh) is asking for a loan (with interest) from the premier league to help lower league and non league clubs, but said he’s not optimistic 

Peter Risdale was on Talksport this morning, he mentioned that PNE could finacially support the football team for this and next season under current restrictions.

Clearly not all clubs are in the same position

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phantom said:

Peter Risdale was on Talksport this morning, he mentioned that PNE could finacially support the football team for this and next season under current restrictions.

Clearly not all clubs are in the same position

Yeah Preston's minimal outlay on wages will help them with TV money we receive meaning they can stretch it further, championship clubs without parachute payments with a large wage bill could be in trouble. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

So do you support smaller pubs going out of business as long as Wetherspoons can keep going?

Local theatres as long as the next Avengers movie gets made?

Local restaurants as long as Pizza Express is alright?

Family B&Bs as long as Premier Inn are ok?

Do you think all those large corporations don't/haven't benefitted from the smaller ones they bought up / took staff from / forcibly closed and replaced etc. along the way? Surely you should be advocating for them to do the same? It's not a football problem, it's a societal/capitalism problem!

Fairly sure you've missed the point. I was saying exactly that! The big boys need to support the smaller clubs as they feed from them and make our leagues the best in the world

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Peter Risdale was on Talksport this morning, he mentioned that PNE could finacially support the football team for this and next season under current restrictions.

Clearly not all clubs are in the same position

Ridsdale is hardly a go-to spokesperson for financial football advice or clarity.

He has spend longer in administration that Trump's 'under audit' tax returns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

No I’m not. Ive watched nearly ten games this season with crowds, and have come into close contact with no one. I’m in the open air, always at least 2 metres from anyone else, what is the problem ?

I go to work everyday with 60 other people and come closer to my fellow workers than I have at these football matches. I go shopping at a supermarket and come closer to people than I do at football matches. 

Stay sensible is my motto, if you aren’t able to, then that’s your choice. 

 

You'll nae be inside Ashton Gate this season......fact.

Open your eyes & look around you,,it's for real...infection rates up,,,,,hospital admissions rising steadily...

Kid yourself if you prefer.

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phantom said:

Peter Risdale was on Talksport this morning, he mentioned that PNE could finacially support the football team for this and next season under current restrictions.

Clearly not all clubs are in the same position

I don’t think PNE have actually bought anyone during this transfer window. Maybe they are one of very few that actually took what is happening in the world into consideration?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Yeah Preston's minimal outlay on wages will help them with TV money we receive meaning they can stretch it further, championship clubs without parachute payments with a large wage bill could be in trouble. 

For all clubs, it'll ultimately depend on a few factors taken as a whole:

  1. Fixed costs.
  2. Wealth of the owners.
  3. Ability of the owners to access that wealth and quickly.
  4. Willingness of the owners to keep writing the cheques.

Hemmings is worth between £500m-1bn according to searches, as you say low wages- TV money, they'll be fine. Still the Championship even parachute clubs, is a loss making League even in normal times- cash flow is what kills businesses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t think PNE have actually bought anyone during this transfer window. Maybe they are one of very few that actually took what is happening in the world into consideration?

Agreed.

Think the loosening of P&S regulations has played a part in the uptick of spending- won't post about it much on here but some will be gambling on promotion this season no doubt, seeing the PL Sky money as a ticket to Easy Street- maybe salvation is applicable in some cases but a bit of a stretch in others.

Looking at the Premier League, it's interesting to note that Tottenham a number of months ago took out a £175m loan from Bank of England due to impact of Covid...yet are now loaning Bale and signing a left back from Real Madrid!

That money should be ringfenced, but who knows if it turned out that way in practice?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Ridsdale is hardly a go-to spokesperson for financial football advice or clarity.

He has spend longer in administration that Trump's 'under audit' tax returns.

Yet ironically the club he is involved with, is one of the few actually adapting to the surroundings

Try saying the same to those clubs in the Premier league spending miliions still on players

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

You'll nae be inside Ashton Gate this season......fact.

Open your eyes & look around you,,it's for real...infection rates up,,,,,hospital admissions rising steadily...

Kid yourself if you prefer.

Where have I mentioned Ashton Gate, I’m more than happy watching the games I’m watching now, and will continue too.

Level 3 and below has the all clear to carry on as it is🕺🏻.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

You'll nae be inside Ashton Gate this season......fact.

Open your eyes & look around you,,it's for real...infection rates up,,,,,hospital admissions rising steadily...

Kid yourself if you prefer.

It's not A FACT at all, it's your opinion and nothing more @Robert the bruce

On the basis that medical experts were queuing up and falling over themselves to point out the figures provided earlier in the week were both incorrect and that their own numbers didn't add up. 

Here's some FACTS for you, The EFL are already in talks with parliament to get a mapping laid out on fans returning this season. These discussions will be held in the coming weeks to get fans back in for test events again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be surprised if we have fans at Sport this side of Christmas but who knows.

I'll rephrase that- I'd be surprised if we have fans at Professional Sport this side of Christmas- @Portland Bill said something about Step 3 and below. Infections are only likely to rise in the short and maybe medium term in some respects because though it's not a seasonal disease, I'd say it can spread moreso in Autumn and Winter as lots more coughs, sneezes etc- more coughs and sneezes=more droplets. More droplets=more chance of spread asymptomaticallty or otherwise.

Besides how can you say "Work from home where you can, pubs and Hospitality shut at 10pm but OTOH sports venues can reopen at a time where spread is potentially more likely- but gatherings at houses or in more than 6, that's not on the cards!"

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/1469059.stm

And to think we love a fish-related pun on here - the Beeb were at it nearly 20 years ago! 

Ha ha. How wonderfully ironic that they got relegated the next year 😂😂

Get to Champs League semi. Buy fish for good luck. Get relegated and spend the next 2 decades out of the top flight 

Edited by Harry
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Worth a read.  

 

I feel sorry for the clubs and the lengths they have had to go to to prepare implementation of standards which are intended to keep fans safe only for this Government to scuper their plans.

Unfortunately, while the efforts Colchester have gone to are commendable, they aren't able to account for the actions of the fans who do attend. While most fans probably will adhere and are careful, there will always be some that just don't care and and don't stick the Colchesters measures putting others at risk. 

I don't think pushing ahead with plans to allow fans back in is the right thing to do given the increase in rates right now.

The questions then become how are some clubs saved from total collapse or should they be?

It's a mess made even worse by the Governments inconsistent decisions causing so much confusion.  Give it another 2 or 3 weeks though and we'll be in even strong lockdown rules when the Government see these latest (pitiful) measures won't slow this second wave - largely because so many people have given up being careful already. By that point the question of whether some fans should be allowed back in will be a much easier one to answer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Have you ever known a UK government high tech implementation go well? I am really struggling.
 

As likely as the Johnson “Moonshot”, although if it really involved strapping him to a rocket, I would willingly throw in a few quid for it!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

I feel sorry for the clubs and the lengths they have had to go to to prepare implementation of standards which are intended to keep fans safe only for this Government to scuper their plans.

Unfortunately, while the efforts Colchester have gone to are commendable, they aren't able to account for the actions of the fans who do attend. While most fans probably will adhere and are careful, there will always be some that just don't care and and don't stick the Colchesters measures putting others at risk. 

I don't think pushing ahead with plans to allow fans back in is the right thing to do given the increase in rates right now.

The questions then become how are some clubs saved from total collapse or should they be?

It's a mess made even worse by the Governments inconsistent decisions causing so much confusion.  Give it another 2 or 3 weeks though and we'll be in even strong lockdown rules when the Government see these latest (pitiful) measures won't slow this second wave - largely because so many people have given up being careful already. By that point the question of whether some fans should be allowed back in will be a much easier one to answer.

 

Agreed when certain segments of the population can’t social distance or wear a mask indoors, the chances of compliance for re-opening to larger numbers of spectators is pretty much nil while prevalence levels are this high.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Have you ever known a UK government high tech implementation go well? I am really struggling.
 

As likely as the Johnson “Moonshot”, although if it really involved strapping him to a rocket, I would willingly throw in a few quid for it!

Agree! Tbh when I first saw it, Moonshot was a term that came to mind.

I'm not aTelegraph subscriber but would be interested in what the measures are.

50 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Agreed when certain segments of the population can’t social distance or wear a mask indoors, the chances of compliance for re-opening to larger numbers of spectators is pretty much nil while prevalence levels are this high.

I don't see how numbers as the weather gets colder- I know it's not a seasonal disease but I believe it can spread more readily in Autumn and Winter- come down between now and April sufficiently to allow fans back.

I'll be a bit more optimistic and say no fans at live sport at eg Ashton Gate before early January.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been texting a friend up in Nottingham  he went to a music event hosted by Radio one. 

He said it was busy  but felt safe. People had to wear face covering. 

I'm confused how events are still happening. 

I noticed earlier Maya Jama was sharing details of how to go to TV recordings of a show shes recording over the next two evenings 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...