IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

34 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

Can someone explain why some are doing cartwheels over a manger with promotions from Lg 1 & 2 over a proven manager with promotions from our division to the Prem??

Clearly a good manager, but clearly and literally a level down in terms of quality from CH at present?

Why are you comparing him to a manager we seemingly cannot get?  Might as well compare him to Klopp 

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

For what it’s worth, given our set-up, I think Cook fits it more and I’d be happy with him

Looks like he fits your “trajectory” hypothesis too? Working his way up the leagues and club size with relative success at each. 

Clearly a very capable manager but I feel we need to make a statement with our next managerial appointment. 

We have an issue with bristol being seen as a footballing backwater and I'm convinced we lose out on good players to more well known clubs due to this.

I feel we need to lead from the top in this regard.

Cook no matter how solid an appointment will be seen as a cheap option in many peoples eyes, not just here in bristol, but in the footbaing community also. 

Just now, JonDolman said:

Whenever I have seen Wigan they have looked very dirty, physical and not good to watch with a fair number of big players. Dangerous on set pieces etc.

But apparently he plays good football so I must be wrong!

I think he's usually played a 4231 or 4141 kind of system. 

Oh god, I remember watching them at AG and then playing brilliant football with neat little triangles. They ran rings round us. That’s the first time I made note of his name. 

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I like Cook, If we do get him in Kiefer Moore for Famara if he's going and get Joe Williams in for Korey would be an upgrade and would partner Walsh well from their Everton youth days.

Blimey, what has the world come to when we’re coveting Kiefer Moore!  I remember seeing him play for Forest Green Rovers a few years ago and he couldn’t have hit a cow’s rear end with the proverbial banjo.  I accept that he’s had something of a miraculous transformation, but is he really what we need?

I’m happy to trust people’s judgement on here, a huge majority seem to be in favour of him. Personally I’ll admit I know almost nothing about him, never been on my radar. But, I am concerned that his main plus point does seem to be that he has ‘done Wonders with Wigan’. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Oh god, I remember watching them at AG and then playing brilliant football with neat little triangles. They ran rings round us. That’s the first time I made note of his name. 

I remember his Chesterfield days where they played excellent football.

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Same in the away match, they looked a great footballing team who just lacked the quality to make it count.

Meh. Since november he has done a cracking job, but just sticks in my mind reading a thread on their forum completely berating him around that time. Shit boring football. And apparently they spent 8 million in the summer. Obviously not on the level as some but not the pittance some make out.

Unfortunately just the type of appointment we will make. Can't imagine itll have too many people making a mad dash to renew. I've lost so much enthusiasm in the last couple of weeks due to the thought of this sort appointment. Solid maybe, but not going to get set pulces racing.

47 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

Can someone explain why some are doing cartwheels over a manger with promotions from Lg 1 & 2 over a proven manager with promotions from our division to the Prem??

Clearly a good manager, but clearly and literally a level down in terms of quality from CH at present?

I will explain (fwiw I'd prefer Hughton) but Cook has got teams promoted on smaller budgets. It's fair to say Hughton at Newcastle and Brighton had large financial backing.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Blimey, what has the world come to when we’re coveting Kiefer Moore!  I remember seeing him play for Forest Green Rovers a few years ago and he couldn’t have hit a cow’s rear end with the proverbial banjo.  I accept that he’s had something of a miraculous transformation, but is he really what we need?

He scored 21 goals in League One and 10 goals in 5 less appearances than Fam in this league...So he's hit a few of those rear end's.

2 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Meh. Since november he has done a cracking job, but just sticks in my mind reading a thread on their forum completely berating him around that time. Shit boring football. And apparently they spent 8 million in the summer. Obviously not on the level as some but not the pittance some make out.

Unfortunately just the type of appointment we will make. Can't imagine itll have too many people making a mad dash to renew. I've lost so much enthusiasm in the last couple of weeks due to the thought of this sort appointment. Solid maybe, but not going to get set pulces racing.

I find it very hard to believe that he spent 8 million on the summer. I will research it because I think that number has been plucked out of thin air!

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

This is it. They didn’t win a game in nov or dec, their fans wanted him out and if you look at their squad, it was always a mid table team. He is clearly a good guy as his handling of the admin situation showed, but he did not have a stand out season that would make me think he is the guy for us.

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Clearly a very capable manager but I feel we need to make a statement with our next managerial appointment. 

We have an issue with bristol being seen as a footballing backwater and I'm convinced we lose out on good players to more well known clubs due to this.

I feel we need to lead from the top in this regard.

Cook no matter how solid an appointment will be seen as a cheap option in many peoples eyes, not just here in bristol, but in the footbaing community also. 

I agree. We will want to be able to mix with the bigger kids now and will need someone to represent us and the ‘brand’ and be respected in the footballing world. I’m not saying for a moment Paul Cook isn’t that person, like I said above I really don’t know. But I would want someone who can hit the ground running, not still learning about the Championship and beyond.

Big ask I know, and an expensive one. But as we have said many times, learn from the rugby club.

15 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I like Cook, If we do get him in Kiefer Moore for Famara if he's going and get Joe Williams in for Korey would be an upgrade and would partner Walsh well from their Everton youth days.

Had been talks of Moore to QPR but they've gone a bit quiet, Cook having a word asking if Moore wanted to join him at City? :fear:

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Might be the game Reece James played in midfield for them. And they scored stoppage time equaliser. 

Remember him looking amazing but can't really remember much else about their performance that day.

I had 2-2 draw in my head and having just looked it up we drew 2-2 in both April and October of 2019. So I suspect the April. 

I read the post match quotes... guess who said “we dust ourselves down and go again.” ???

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Might be the game Reece James played in midfield for them. And they scored stoppage time equaliser. 

Remember him looking amazing but can't really remember much else about their performance that day.

Edit, Reece James scored a 25 yarder versus Max O’Leary. 

9 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

They signed 3 players for over a million in Keifer Moore (2) Jamal Lowe (initial 1) and Antonee Robinson (initial 1). However they also lost a large number to reduce the wage bill.....this includes Nick Powell to Stoke, Windass to Sheff Wed, Mcmanaman to Luton, Vaughan to Bradford and Lopes to Hull.

Archived