IGNORED

Paul Cook

BCFC1512

3 minutes ago, RedC said:

They signed 3 players for over a million in Keifer Moore (2) Jamal Lowe (initial 1) and Antonee Robinson (initial 1). However they also lost a large number to reduce the wage bill.....this includes Nick Powell to Stoke, Windass to Sheff Wed, Mcmanaman to Luton, Vaughan to Bradford and Lopes to Hull.

So they spent nearly 8million. I'm not saying its alot just not the pittance claimed. And those players you named, bar Powell they would of glad to be shot off so hardly a fire sale.

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I had 2-2 draw in my head and having just looked it up we drew 2-2 in both April and October of 2019. So I suspect the April. 

I read the post match quotes... guess who said “we dust ourselves down and go again.” ???

I remember a 1-0 away defeat that was on Sky and Wigan pressed us into mistake after mistake. Presume he was in charge?!

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Can you imagine if Bobby Reid and Jon Stead still played for us?

“Reidy, Steady, Cook!”

Come on Fordy, are you going to graffiti Cook Pass Babtridge on the side of his car or shall I?

41 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Wow. Two completely unrealistic targets and one pretty unrealistic. 

Based on what logic?

All three have managed at this level and got teams promoted from this level; which I thought was the entry criteria for the appointment and the reason LJ was sacked.

All three are completely realistic if that’s the rationale.

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’m happy to trust people’s judgement on here, a huge majority seem to be in favour of him. Personally I’ll admit I know almost nothing about him, never been on my radar. But, I am concerned that his main plus point does seem to be that he has ‘done Wonders with Wigan’. 

3 promotions on his CV. Those promotions have been in different leagues but he has been a success everywhere he’s managed. 

Here he is after Wigan’s relegation last week...

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2020/july/Paul-Cook-I-m-so-proud-of-the-football-club-/

32 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’m happy to trust people’s judgement on here, a huge majority seem to be in favour of him. Personally I’ll admit I know almost nothing about him, never been on my radar. But, I am concerned that his main plus point does seem to be that he has ‘done Wonders with Wigan’. 

Yeah completely agree. Not really too excited about Paul Cook... seems to be a ‘fits the structure’ signing for me. 

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

On an earlier thread a few weeks ago I posted an in-depth review of Cook’s recruitment in his previous jobs. It’s an eye opener and he’d certainly be someone who I’d like, given his penchant for signing players whom I’ve always liked. 

It’s an interesting juxtaposition though. Cook & Hughton are like chalk & cheese. 
Cook would fit the mould more than Hughton. Hughton has the Championship cv, Cook the L1/L2 successes. But....Cook’s success has been on a restricted budget and achieved through superb recruitment and man-management. Hughton arguably has achieved his success with bigger budgets. 
They are also wildly different characters who would bring a hugely different ‘image’ for the club. Hughton is the softly spoken, thoughtful and mild-mannered face of a club. Cook is more of a brash, in her face northerner, he’d definitely ‘connect’ more with a wider range of the fanbase and he also appears to be ‘one of the lads’ with the team. 
2 incredibly different ‘faces’ for the club. 

For what it’s worth, given our set-up, I think Cook fits it more and I’d be happy with him (as said, particularly if he has enough influence in transfers because his shortlist is always very similar to mine!). 
The one thing that concerns me about Cook is for his own health! He seems to lose his voice after every game - imagine what he’d have to do here!!! I’d worry for his voice! 

I screenshotted it.  Thought it might come in handy!!

C4437893-6549-4F97-8BA2-7CA3E2C5201C.thumb.png.e9adc28f6fa6e8f83d117c4877b25f6b.png

25 minutes ago, RedC said:

I find it very hard to believe that he spent 8 million on the summer. I will research it because I think that number has been plucked out of thin air!

They did, circa £2m each on 4 players....Lowe, Williams, Robinson and Moore.

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Might be the game Reece James played in midfield for them. And they scored stoppage time equaliser. 

Remember him looking amazing but can't really remember much else about their performance that day.

Reece James was last season, ball bobbled as he hit it.

This season was 2-2, Pereira equalising after 2 Dunkley goals from set plays.  Weimann put us 1-0.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I screenshotted it.  Thought it might come in handy!!

C4437893-6549-4F97-8BA2-7CA3E2C5201C.thumb.png.e9adc28f6fa6e8f83d117c4877b25f6b.png

They did, circa £2m each on 4 players....Lowe, Williams, Robinson and Moore.

Reece James was last season, ball bobbled as he hit it.

This season was 2-2, Pereira equalising after 2 Dunkley goals from set plays.  Weimann put us 1-0.

The piece you have attached is very informative. It does show a clear eye for a player. I suppose the question is he would now be working with better players and bigger names.....would he be able to make that transition? Some good players mentioned but none in my view that would strengthen us now. 

Is he a lower end champ top end league 1 manager or can he make that transition.....certainly only one way to find out.

29 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I will explain (fwiw I'd prefer Hughton) but Cook has got teams promoted on smaller budgets. It's fair to say Hughton at Newcastle and Brighton had large financial backing.

To say Hughton had large financial backing at Newcastle and Brighton is not true.

Hughton spent £5.6m when taking Newcastle up in 09/10, and £7.8m in Brighton’s promotion-winning season in 16/17. LJ, for comparison in 16/17, spent £11.4m in the same season.  

Back to Cook, he’d have my backing as long as he was able to bring in his own players. With Ashton calling the shots, I doubt he will.

Just now, tin said:

To say Hughton had large financial backing at Newcastle and Brighton is not true.

Hughton spent £5.6m when taking Newcastle up in 09/10, and £7.8m in Brighton’s promotion-winning season in 16/17. LJ, for comparison in 16/17, spent £11.4m in the same season.  

Back to Cook, he’d have my backing as long as he was able to bring in his own players. With Ashton calling the shots, I doubt he will.

What this fails to take into account is the squads inherited. I would assume that both Newcastle and Brighton had some significant names in their sides.

2 minutes ago, RedC said:

The piece you have attached is very informative. It does show a clear eye for a player. I suppose the question is he would now be working with better players and bigger names.....would he be able to make that transition? Some good players mentioned but none in my view that would strengthen us now. 

Is he a lower end champ top end league 1 manager or can he make that transition.....certainly only one way to find out.

I’d say Dowell, and possibly Robinson, would be a good fit for us now. I’d probably also take Dunkley.

Good to see that many of his signings have progressed and gone on to better things. I wonder how long the list of “misses” is, to go next to the “hits”.

3 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I’d say Dowell, and possibly Robinson, would be a good fit for us now. I’d probably also take Dunkley.

Good to see that many of his signings have progressed and gone on to better things. I wonder how long the list of “misses” is, to go next to the 

My understanding is Robinson is being linked with prem clubs. As for Dowell he flopped at Derby and we already have Paterson, Palmer and Szmodics in that role. Dunkley I have never rated as a top championship player but happy to he proved wrong in time.

Certainly not the worst choice, but also not the best. Plus side is we won’t get relegated with him in charge but we also won’t win promotion (which was meant to be the next step).

No use comparing him to Chris Wilder, as that type of manager is a once in a blue moon, think the comparisons seem to appear from them both being Northern? Lets not forget, Wigan fans were calling for him to be sacked last October, but hey ho, lets see what happens. I also don’t see him being a yes man which could cause tension with the board.

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Certainly not the worst choice, but also not the best. Plus side is we won’t get relegated with him in charge but we also won’t win promotion (which was meant to be the next step).

No use comparing him to Chris Wilder, as that type of manager is a once in a blue moon, think the comparisons seem to appear from them both being Northern? Lets not forget, Wigan fans were calling for him to be sacked last October, but hey ho, lets see what happens. I also don’t see him being a yes man which could cause tension with the board.

With respect I dont understand how you can say we wont get promoted....there have been worse sides with less successful managers who have made it to the prem.

47 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

I will explain (fwiw I'd prefer Hughton) but Cook has got teams promoted on smaller budgets. It's fair to say Hughton at Newcastle and Brighton had large financial backing.

Can anyone compare Wigan’s and Pompey’s budget in their division comparatively versus Brighton Norwich and Newcastle’s in theirs?

Where did they stand in terms of spend in their respective divisions?

This would go a long way to answering the above. 

Just now, RedC said:

With respect I dont understand how you can say we wont get promoted....there have been worse sides with less successful managers who have made it to the prem.

Well of course we could get promotion, stranger things have happened, but in my opinion i would expect us to be solid midtable with Cook, like we are now. But maybe showing more fight in games than under LJ.

Archived