Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IF Holden gets the job, how long will they give him to get " the project" right? Are we in for another 4 years of dross football? Will they give him half a season? 4 years? Tbh I think I am going to die before City get back to the top flight ( my family usually die before 65 and I am now 57). This club really is a big boys club, just with more money than the guy who just plays FIFA in his bedroom, there just seems to be a concerted lack of ambition to push Bristol City on to the next level, they alsoseem to be just waiting for the EFL to rubber stamp a wages cap so that they have another excuse to hide behind. I'll be dead soon so I won't have to worry about it anymore, best of luck to the rest of you!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
5 minutes ago, Magicdaps said:

I've not read the entire 31 pages of this thread but could the club be leaking this story in order to gauge fans opinion.  If so then the response is pretty overwhelmingly negative, not in terms of DH as a person as I think he's pretty universally liked or perhaps more accurately he's not universally disliked which are obviously different things.  What is clear is that he's clearly lacking any real support.  Against this backdrop would the club appoint him as they surely can't totally dismiss such a lack of support.  I appreciate they aren't basing any decision solely on OTIB but surely they must be aware of this fact, at least to some degree 🤷

I hope that this is the case, I don’t know how we could go from looking at Gerrard one minute and making him one of the highest paid managers in the league to appointing Holden as the stadium company has made redundancies?

I just hope that Gregor has it all wrong and we do appoint someone with some track record to get us looking forward to the new season!

• Like 1

If he does get the job - and I hope he doesn't, then I suspect its because of a result of Covid-19. As we appear to be a club mindful of FFP and committed to improving our younger players. I can only assume that MA and SL and co are looking at keeping the club afloat long term while others may go into administration. Its a business after all, and so many companies will fail in the next 6-12 months on the back of this virus.

We have some great quality younger players who just need some air time to improve and gain confidence. We may go backwards initially but it could be a forward thinking move if this virus becomes part of our lives for years to come.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry, no.  7-0 at half time. 8th goal was scored in the 65th minute.

I have to say fair play to you two carrying on with this and ignoring the Holden apocalypse that is going on in the background.

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Which implies that they haven't really got a clue who is best manager for the club and need our blessing......that is pathetic if true.

I would tend to agree.  Just trying to find some logic to put my mind at rest!  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

If he does get the job - and I hope he doesn't, then I suspect its because of a result of Covid-19. As we appear to be a club mindful of FFP and committed to improving our younger players. I can only assume that MA and SL and co are looking at keeping the club afloat long term while others may go into administration. Its a business after all, and so many companies will fail in the next 6-12 months on the back of this virus.  

Don’t talk sense. Far easier to call the owner and CEO *****. And the club shop. And the cleaners. Dance around the camp fire whilst burning your (plastic) season ticket calling everyone in the clubs *****

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Apart from contradicting TalkSport and Sky and a host of other sites who said Hughton was a done deal and about to be announced 12 days ago.

I don't know if McGregor has this one pegged right, but he clearly has some contacts at the club.

Spot on. Gregor hasn’t provided much information until now, more just refuting other reports, but he’s been right about it all so far. 

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I don't know if McGregor has this one pegged right, but he clearly has some contacts at the club.

His contact will be the club's press office. So either they are spinning him a line in order to lower fan expectations before announcing someone like Cook, or it is true and they are doing it in order to prepare people for an unpopular announcement.

49 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

It’s all come from that absolute pleb of a journalist who has got absolutely nothing right over the last 4 weeks 

Nothing right?

He’s called Hughton, Cook and Gerrard correctly. Nationals said it was a done deal with Hughton but Gregor said it wasn’t - who was right?

Let’s have some examples of where he’s got it wrong please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

We have some great quality younger players who just need some air time to improve and gain confidence. We may go backwards initially but it could be a forward thinking move if this virus becomes part of our lives for years to come.

If that is the case, you can understand a bit as to where they are coming from, but then why wait 5 weeks to make the announcement?

Has it really changed that much in a week whilst Lansdown was pursuing Gerrard and trying to make him one of the highest paid managers in the league? 

I don’t know how we go from that situation to this?

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Nothing right?

He’s called Hughton, Cook and Gerrard correctly. Nationals said it was a done deal with Hughton but Gregor said it wasn’t - who was right?

Let’s have some examples of where he’s got it wrong please.

He has literally spent the last 4 weeks chopping and changing who is favourite. He hasn’t given us anything new . Keep making enough guesses and eventually you’ll get one right! 

And his latest tweet about fans criticising redundancies and then criticising an internal appointment is just laughable 

Apart from being woefully underqualified for the position, lacking any experience in a number one role, and being far too closely associated with a regime that was failing, my main issue with Holden is this: how the hell do you convince better players than we already have to come here with Holden in charge? What sort of message does it send out about our ambition?

He has no reputation in the game to speak of. Say what you like about LJ, but he was generally well known and well regarded within the wider football community as a progressive coach (rightly or wrongly); he has at least some standing in the game.

If you’re serious about promotion you’ve got to show it. No one wants to join a club treading water. I can’t see us going anywhere other than backwards.

• Like 11

If rumours/reports are to be believed and we appoint Holden.

Linked with Gerrard although no one really knows how far that went. Managers like Hughton and McCarthy putting their own name into the mix and yet we could end up with a guy in charge that was nearly as much as responsible for last seasons shit show as Johnson was.

How has that even happened???

Football and Rugby are worlds apart in terms of finances and I know little about Rugby, but from what I am told the Bears manager is the equivalent to Pep and some of the signings are the equivalent to Messi and Ronaldo. If true then it makes the handling of this managerial appointment even more embarrassing.

I’ve been without a season ticket going into the fourth season running and I think over that time I have never been more pleased with my choice than I am now.

I don’t know what the position on refunds for season tickets are but I would imagine there could be a fair few more requests.

Purely speculation at this point but the fact it’s even a possibility at this stage is a joke!

If it comes down to finances then I would also ask what the value in sacking LJ was only to replace him with his right hand man?

Rant over!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

There may be sound financial reasons behind it but why then even bother to interview Hughton, who was always likely to be a costly option?

In the circumstances they are going to have a hell of a job spinning the news if it is Dean. Though Gregor has done a sterling job telling us at regular intervals how great the recruitment process has been nobody is going to believe Dean was the best candidate.

• Like 2

Sacking LJ and appointing DH would be strange (polite version).

He must have bought into LJ’s philosophy as his assistant so what is the point of appointing a disciple of LJ?

Or else his role of assistant was a complete sham, which doesn’t say much about DH’s strength of conviction.

Less than good either way.

5 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Let’s hope he doesn’t know everything.. 

FB06C608-A1E7-47BE-A372-95D7799C261C.png

So he didn’t say news was from inside the club, as suggested elsewhere...so club still not leaking anything.

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

He has literally spent the last 4 weeks chopping and changing who is favourite. He hasn’t given us anything new . Keep making enough guesses and eventually you’ll get one right! 

And his latest tweet about fans criticising redundancies and then criticising an internal appointment is just laughable 

Different people have been favourite at different times because the situation has been evolving.

He said we were pursuing Gerrard and he said he turned us down - correct.

He said we interviewed Hughton - correct, we assume.

He didn’t commit to Hughton when others did - correct

As far as I can tell he hasn’t made any spurious claims so I don’t really know what you’re going on about.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

Coronavirus was around a few weeks ago when Johnson was sacked. Ok - LJ had taken us as far as he could, but he was also a (relatively) safe pair of hands. We'd be in for the standard winning runs, followed by losing runs, with a upper mid-table finish. 

Tbf if the virus was going to stop us signing someone decent, I'd rather keep the cash we paid to buy out the rest of LJs contract, give him another year and then shelled out on someone who can give us a reasonable shot at promotion season after next. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Onthefence said:

If that’s the case then why publicly state he wanted a man to take us to the next level.

Publicly go after Steven Gerrard , interview Chris Hughton and Paul cook. Covid slipped his mind had it ? Also saying on national radio he got rid of LJ Because he failed to get us into the play offs and wanted prem football ASAP . 
If Holden is appointed and the journos don’t ask these question , then they’re a shambles. 

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If it comes down to finances then I would also ask what the value in sacking LJ was only to replace him with his right hand man?

Absolutely. LJ had three years left on a £600k pa contract. If that was paid up in full, that’s £1.8m to get rid of him only to potentially replace him with his less experienced assistant? This appointment would not stand up to any scrutiny.

• Like 3
  • Maesknoll Red changed the title to If we appoint Holden (Merged Threads)
  • TomF changed the title to Dean Holden (Merged)