Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)


If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

This is a false economy by the club. What they save on the staff appointments they will lose on season ticket sales merchandise etc.

People will vote with their feet and their wallets.

How the club can walk blindly into this appointment without the backing of 95% of fans is beyond me.

Surely if not Hughton then Cook or Neil - To go with unproven Holden and a group of largely untried young players at this level could just work, but my instinct tells me it's more likely to threaten our very presence in The Championship.

Wake up Ashton and The Lansdownes before it's too late - please!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So he didn’t say news was from inside the club, as suggested elsewhere...so club still not leaking anything.

Quote from his latest piece on Bristol Live:

Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board.

First time I can recall him using that phrase.

Edited by chinapig
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

Different people have been favourite at different times because the situation has been evolving.

He said we were pursuing Gerrard and he said he turned us down - correct.

He said we interviewed Hughton - correct, we assume.

He didn’t commit to Hughton when others did - correct

As far as I can tell he hasn’t made any spurious claims so I don’t really know what you’re going on about.

When did we confirm we were after Gerrard? And as for Hughton being interviewed....every news station reported that. 
 

I personally don’t think it will be Holden. I still believe it will Cook .
 

Whoever it is, I’m sure at some point he has tweeted “we understand that....” about him 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apart from being woefully underqualified for the position, lacking any experience in a number one role, and being far too closely associated with a regime that was failing, my main issue with Holden is this: how the hell do you convince better players than we already have to come here with Holden in charge? What sort of message does it send out about our ambition?

He has no reputation in the game to speak of. Say what you like about LJ, but he was generally well known and well regarded within the wider football community as a progressive coach (rightly or wrongly); he has at least some standing in the game.

If you’re serious about promotion you’ve got to show it. No one wants to join a club treading water. I can’t see us going anywhere other than backwards.

To be fair to Holden he is also seen as a promising progressive coach and been rumoured to have been wanted by some other clubs in the past.

Not that I think he is the right appointment for City now, but in saying that who knows who is the right appointment. 

All I do know is that taking this long to pick anybody is completely ridiculous. I have a horrible fear myself that we are now holding out to try and get the Brentford boss should they fail to win tonight. Which like Gerrard is going for someone who probably isn’t the slightest bit interested in coming here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Suffolk Red said:

This is a false economy by the club. What they save on the staff appointments they will lose on season ticket sales merchandise etc.

People will vote with their feet and their wallets.

How the club can walk blindly into this appointment without the backing of 95% of fans is beyond me.

Surely if not Hughton then Cook or Neil - To go with unproven Holden and a group of largely untried young players at this level could just work, but my instinct tells me it's more likely to threaten our very presence in The Championship.

Wake up Ashton and The Lansdownes before it's too late - please!

The thing is they wont lose out on season ticket sales as they have sold 12k and even if they appointed CH for example I cant see it having much of a bearing on ST sales in the current climate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Let’s hope he doesn’t know everything.. 

FB06C608-A1E7-47BE-A372-95D7799C261C.png

I could be clutching at straws with this, and I’m usually am. But I’m reading this as he was not told anything other than sorting out back room staff. That could be the manager is agreed and they are negotiating with the back room staff on who he /she (not to upset the ladies) keeps. That could be the new manager has to keep Holden and Jamie MAC etc 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When Covid hit this country I would wake up every morning and think this cant be true and I've had a bad dream...I'm going to wake up tomorrow and think this cant be true, I've had a bad dream...and it wont be about covid..it will about this bloody football club I've devoted over 45 years to 🥺🥺

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apart from being woefully underqualified for the position, lacking any experience in a number one role, and being far too closely associated with a regime that was failing, my main issue with Holden is this: how the hell do you convince better players than we already have to come here with Holden in charge? What sort of message does it send out about our ambition?

He has no reputation in the game to speak of. Say what you like about LJ, but he was generally well known and well regarded within the wider football community as a progressive coach (rightly or wrongly); he has at least some standing in the game.

If you’re serious about promotion you’ve got to show it. No one wants to join a club treading water. I can’t see us going anywhere other than backwards.

Do you reckon we could quietly invite LJ to come back, but on Dean Holden's salary? Just forget the past four weeks, hopefully no one would really notice. As you were. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, City Rocker said:

Do you reckon we could quietly invite LJ to come back, but on Dean Holden's salary? Just forget the past four weeks, hopefully no one would really notice. As you were. 

Without a shadow of a doubt I would rather LJ was still here than Holden, not least of all because the whole fiasco has been damaging and makes the club looker considerably weaker than if we’d just stood by LJ.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is likely to have been the plan all along, because if you think about it the LJ was weird timing, so maybe they had Holden in mind and wanted to give him a handful of matches as a "no pressure" trial to see how her fared and he passed the test during those matches and they have been under no pressure to announce it yet as the setup is all in place already

Edited by AshtonG666
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

So you couldn’t say what your view would be if Holden was appointed?

Nope.

Said it loads of times already - lost in amongst the histrionics and totally hysterical shite so no point.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I could be clutching at straws with this, and I’m usually am. But I’m reading this as he was not told anything other than sorting out back room staff. That could be the manager is agreed and they are negotiating with the back room staff on who he /she (not to upset the ladies) keeps. That could be the new manager has to keep Holden and Jamie MAC etc 

Maybe. Or perhaps Holden’s the new man, Macca stays on, and they’re trying to fill a void on the coaching staff with Ashley Williams? 

Edited by tin
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Quote from his latest piece on Bristol Live:

Though a late switch for another candidate was not entirely ruled out by club sources on Tuesday, Holden is expected to clinch the position over the next days unless there is a sudden change of heart by the City board.

First time I can recall him using that phrase.

Ta.  Yes, looking more likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Maesknoll Red changed the title to If we appoint Holden (Merged Threads)
  • TomF changed the title to Dean Holden (Merged)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...