Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Saunders87 said:

Out of nowhere. 
 

Great signing by the club, hopefully a Korey 2.0, and one that remains fit! 
 

Mark Ashton says our first signing of the summer, hopefully this means we ain’t finished yet. 

Well if someone uses the phrase first signing then you would naturally assume it wasn't the last.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I think you have to separate the true CMs and DMs from the attacking central mids that can also play out wide or as a no 10.

If we're to persist with a 3-5-2 then we absolutely need to have Williams, Massengo, Morrell, Nagy and Walsh as our 5 CM/DMs throughout the campaign. So easy for one of those to pick up an injury early doors and then we're down to 4 straight away.

Palmer, Szmodics, Pato & Weimann are competing for those roles further up the field so shouldn't relate to the 5 I just mentioned. Szmodics & Weimann and Pato can all play as a 10. Fully expect Morton and Bakinson to go out on loan, and maybe even Szmodics. 

That’s why I break up my depth chart as follows:

2DAF7A04-9488-465C-885A-8D050A22B33D.thumb.jpeg.4c98a9a04b1a6e002e46ceed23078138.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Never heard of him and don't recall anyone ever saying "wish we'd sign Williams"

Not suggesting he's a bad signing, just don't know anything about the lad.

I wouldn't read into the comments about fighting off competition from lots of other clubs.... They've said that with every signing we've ever made

Welcome to another great human. Hope he works out and enjoys his time at AG

Wow!!!

High up on a lot of poster’s list of players they felt we should get.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Welcome Williams - Midfielder arrives in BS3:

Bristol City can confirm the signing of Joe Williams from Wigan Athletic on a four-year contract.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/welcome-williams-midfielder-arrives-in-bs3/

Ok a good player. I’m a bit worried signing a player from Wigan. Really is this looking to the future or yet another stop gap.

i think more probable a bit of hype from the directors giving DH some b%%#s with the media

this is not promotion sort of signing to me.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, City oz said:

Ok a good player. I’m a bit worried signing a player from Wigan. Really is this looking to the future or yet another stop gap.

i think more probable a bit of hype from the directors giving DH some b%%#s with the media

this is not promotion sort of signing to me.

Even in a crap team there is always one player that stands out and could play at a higher level, Joe Williams was that player at Wigan.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pillred said:

Around £2 million is what some are saying.

We are going backwards. Buying a player for this amount of money confirms we are not serious contenders for promotion next season. We need big signings and I’m a bit pissed off that the club thinks we are mushrooms. Well that’s for us old farts on OTIB any way.

  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pillred said:

Even in a crap team there is always one player that stands out and could play at a higher level, Joe Williams was that player at Wigan.

Probably a good player then a great asset for a championship team up and down in a mid table position with no direction 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, City oz said:

We are going backwards. Buying a player for this amount of money confirms we are not serious contenders for promotion next season. We need big signings and I’m a bit pissed off that the club thinks we are mushrooms. Well that’s for us old farts on OTIB any way.

Off the top of my head I couldn't tell you how many players over the years we have got for a steal and sold at a vast profit but it's quite a few. I wouldn't pay much attention to how much we paid for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yep..........tackling should be outlawed, it plays no part in the modern game? 😂

I'm sorry, I should qualify that statement. If he is a "tough tackling" midfield player, then we should be prepared for him picking up bookings for things that most of us wouldn't have even considered a foul even 10 years ago. I have heard Pep G say that tackling should only be a last resort, a player who can read the game or take up positions to stop a player rather than tackling is preferable in the modern game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, City oz said:

We are going backwards. Buying a player for this amount of money confirms we are not serious contenders for promotion next season. We need big signings and I’m a bit pissed off that the club thinks we are mushrooms. 

What "big signings" do you want?

I personally think signing Joe Williams is a very good signing. We have been far to lightweight in Midfield for far too long. He quite a big bloke too which we need. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, City oz said:

Ok a good player. I’m a bit worried signing a player from Wigan. Really is this looking to the future or yet another stop gap.

i think more probable a bit of hype from the directors giving DH some b%%#s with the media

this is not promotion sort of signing to me.

Ajayi got relegated with Rotherham, West Brom signed him, he played nearly every game last season and is now a Premier League player. 

Vaulks also got relegated with Rotherham, signed for Cardiff, didn't play too much until Harris came in, but they ended up in the play offs. 

Freeman came to us from Stevenage who got relegated to League 2 that year. 

Writing off players because of the club they come from is silly. 

AC Milan nearly signed a Wigan player in January, are we really too good to be signing players from them?

 

 

  • Like 12
  • Flames 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, City oz said:

Ok a good player. I’m a bit worried signing a player from Wigan. Really is this looking to the future or yet another stop gap.

i think more probable a bit of hype from the directors giving DH some b%%#s with the media

this is not promotion sort of signing to me.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

7 minutes ago, City oz said:

We are going backwards. Buying a player for this amount of money confirms we are not serious contenders for promotion next season. We need big signings and I’m a bit pissed off that the club thinks we are mushrooms. Well that’s for us old farts on OTIB any way.

Relegation release clause as we are led to believe from media, coupled with Wigan administration.  This is a bargain in theory.

The fact that we have spent before we’ve sold is a positive sign.  We are in the front foot, we aren’t waiting for dominoes to fall, we aren’t waiting for spiders webs to be spun, or waiting our turn in the pecking order for a Premier League loanee.

Have a couple of VBs on the veranda, search for him on YouTube and let it change your mind. 😂😂😂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

So who is being sold to cover that outlay on Williams? Been mentioned we had no money to spend and needed to sell before we buy so there must be a sale or two in the pipeline...

Its a given a few will go - im sure we can fund 2M from the bank account until money comes in

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, City oz said:

We are going backwards. Buying a player for this amount of money confirms we are not serious contenders for promotion next season. We need big signings and I’m a bit pissed off that the club thinks we are mushrooms. Well that’s for us old farts on OTIB any way.

Getting bargains in a fire sale is good business. Chasing “names” at OTT prices isn’t.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Off the top of my head I couldn't tell you how many players over the years we have got for a steal and sold at a vast profit but it's quite a few. I wouldn't pay much attention to how much we paid for him.

Agree with your philosophy but we need star players and not players that may come good. Is it not promotion we all want or DH being comfortable in this league for a few years 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Relegation release clause as we are led to believe from media, coupled with Wigan administration.  This is a bargain in theory.

The fact that we have spent before we’ve sold is a positive sign.  We are in the front foot, we aren’t waiting for dominoes to fall, we aren’t waiting for spiders webs to be spun, or waiting our turn in the pecking order for a Premier League loanee.

Have a couple of VBs on the veranda, search for him on YouTube and let it change your mind. 😂😂😂

I suspect he's already had more than a couple...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Getting bargains in a fire sale is good business. Chasing “names” at OTT prices isn’t.

Ok i agree a bargain. Especially if we end up staying in the championship. It looks like our expectations have been lowered and most of you have been brain washed by SL 

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Last week on here we didn't have a midfield.

Now we have signed one and we have too many.

Made me laugh that too.

Joe Williams is Korey’s replacement. Looks to have more to his game than KS too.

I think we have the balance just about right in there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, City oz said:

Ok i agree a bargain. Especially if we end up staying in the championship. It looks like our expectations have been lowered and most of you have been brain washed by SL 

Nobody - except perhaps you - expected us to be spending multi millions on “star players” with EPL experience. We’ve got, for £2M, a 23 year old who was an ever present for the club who finished a place of two below us in the table, and he’s exactly the sort of strong midfielder we need.

Thats why (virtually) every fan is happy.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

Made me laugh that too.

Joe Williams is Korey’s replacement. Looks to have more to his game than KS too.

I think we have the balance just about right in there.

Now it’s keeping them happy! All would expect to start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Nobody - except perhaps you - expected us to be spending multi millions on “star players” with EPL experience. We’ve got, for £2M, a 23 year old who was an ever present for the club who finished a place of two below us in the table, and he’s exactly the sort of strong midfielder we need.

Thats why (virtually) every fan is happy.

Bang on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...