Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

City vs Swindon

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Weimann was involved in 45 of last season’s games.

The only one that he missed was following his positive test, he is certain to be a regular, probably not starting quite as many as last season (42!) but a lot.

Hunt will also be in the squad on a regular basis & if Vyner isn’t, (at 24) he needs to move on then, though my hunch based on the fact that he got on the pitch for all 5 of the games that Holden was in charge, is that he will be, too.

Rowe did a superb job whilst Dasilva was injured & is an invaluable squad member.

Vyner is 23 (May).

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With 5 missing through international duty next Saturday & 2 others injured it would be bonkers to have risked Dasilva today.

Agree, ease him back.

• Thanks 2
41 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Would be concerned if Rowe, Vyner, Hunt, Weimann and O'Dowda are regular starters going into this season. 

Hopefully focusing on fitness levels and not this being a starting 11 for next Saturday or Coventry.

Seeing as 4 of the starting XI aren’t available to face Exeter I think we can safely say it won’t be.

• Robin 1
Just now, JonDolman said:

I'm talking about best 11 if everyone is ever fit. Or more realistically when all in one position are fit..I can't see then where Weimann will be starting with Fam and Wells up top and all the midfield options we now have.

I don’t think Holden will be thinking about best eleven....it’s a squad game, especially with form, injuries, suspensions, fatigue, condensed fixture schedule....especially outside of the GK and CB3.  Those 7 will be rotated to a degree.  As for Weimann, if Holden wants to press from the front, he’ll be important.

On Rowe I don't rate him at wing back. But whatever I think, it seems Holden is going with O'Dowda at left wing back cover to Dasilva.
can’t read too much into pre-season selection.  Today Rowe looks like he’s covering LCB.  Had Baker been fit, he may have started LWB.  All speculative at this point.

If Rowe is seen as left centre back in a 3 then I'm not sure if he will be needed if rumours are true that we are looking to bring in another left sided centre back. It would then be new LCB or Baker. With Kalas, Moore and Vyner there too.

Rowe's best position is supposed to be midfield, but obviously very little chance of him being needed there either.

I either see him as emergency back up that probably won't play. Or moved on.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'm talking about best 11 if everyone is ever fit. Or more realistically when all in one position are fit..I can't see then where Weimann will be starting with Fam and Wells up top and all the midfield options we now have.

On Rowe I don't rate him at wing back. But whatever I think, it seems Holden is going with O'Dowda at left wing back cover to Dasilva.

If Rowe is seen as left centre back in a 3 then I'm not sure if he will be needed if rumours are true that we are looking to bring in another left sided centre back. It would then be new LCB or Baker. With Kalas, Moore and Vyner there too.

Rowe's best position is supposed to be midfield, but obviously very little chance of him being needed there either.

We’ll see.

Weimann has a superb availability record, is valued as an experienced player on the pitch & versatile.

Would I be at all surprised to see him as a regular starter this season? Nope.

Rowe is a perfect sub, experienced, versatile & uncomplaining, I would get rid of half a dozen that we still have in front of him & fully expect him to see his contract out.

As for O’Dowda bring in front of Rowe for LWB, Baker needs to be fit & we need to know exactly what today’s formation is before you can say that.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We’ll see.

Weimann has a superb availability record, is valued as an experienced player on the pitch & versatile.

Would I be at all surprised to see him as a regular starter this season? Nope.

Rowe is a perfect sub, experienced, versatile & uncomplaining, I would get rid of half a dozen that we still have in front of him & fully expect him to see his contract out.

As for O’Dowda bring in front of Rowe for LWB, Baker needs to be fit & we need to know exactly what today’s formation is before you can say that.

Yep true only guessing, that's all we can do until we see what actually happens. But if O'Dowda is back up wing back then Rowe is 3rd choice wing back and not sure where else he fits in, especially if we do bring in another centre back to go with the other 4 we currently have.

3 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Tasty fixture. 
I rate Wellens and I can see Swindon doing well this seasons - dark horses for promotion. 
I might put a cheeky tenner on them (for promotion, not this game!!)

I assume it’s not televised or streaming anywhere???

A couple of weeks ago you could have got 20/1 on promotion no idea about now 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Some people think all he does is run around a lot.

Other people think his composure, decision-making and execution in attacking areas are lacking. 

Edit...Sods bloody law...

Edited by mozo
  • Haha 2
32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Rowe will be a utility player. It's useful to have, and our squad with it's relative inexperience, could probably do with a couple of more senior players. Rowe can fill in (and do a decent job) at CB, LB, LWB, CM, LM if needed. I don't think anyone else in the squad has that versatility.

I think you are viewing it in a far too linear way as an 'on paper' best 11. Very rare that our 'on paper' best 11 will be fit, especially over the whole season. That's without considering international call ups, suspensions and squad rotation through fatigue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1
Just now, mozo said:

I admire your positive agenda!

I've said before the brief time Rowe played centre back in one game he looked far more comfortable than at left back or wing back. So interesting to see if he is actually more comfortable there. He has no pace and for me is better suited centrally as he is strong and good in the air.

As for O'Dowda left wing back, also been saying for a long time that I think he could be a useful option there if Dasilva is out.

Not being positive for any other reason. It's what I've suggested trying in the past.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I've said before the brief time Rowe played centre back in one game he looked far more comfortable than at left back or wing back. So interesting to see if he is actually more comfortable there. He has no pace and for me is better suited centrally as he is strong and good in the air.

As for O'Dowda left wing back, also been saying for a long time that I think he could be a useful option there if Dasilva is out.

Not being positive for any other reason. It's what I've suggested trying in the past.

What's your reasoning for your confidence in O'Dowda at wingback? He has the athleticism to play it and attacking attributes, but what have you seen that makes you think he has the complete package?

When Bryan has played there, he obviously has the defensive attributes too. I'm not convinced O'Dowda does. Bryan is also far better offensively in my opinion. O'Dowda is also massively inconsistent and thinks he's better than he is imo. 

I'd happily get rid of him this summer if possible and have Rowe/Pring as Dasilva's understudies. 

• Like 2