Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

4 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

There are other forums for this type of conversation.

Back to the football.....?

Don't be so utterly ridiculous. This is OTIB !!!

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

And when Ashley Williams forearms someone in the face? What do you want to see and hear?

For me it's certainly not rumours signing him back!

Fair point....that’s a bit different though....yes, expect criticism.  It’s the LJ stuff re Magnússon, Moore, even Wells.  I disagreed with what he said about O’Dowda (injury / contract) also.  LJ was too free in deflecting away from him.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair point....that’s a bit different though....yes, expect criticism.  It’s the LJ stuff re Magnússon, Moore, even Wells.  I disagreed with what he said about O’Dowda (injury / contract) also.  LJ was too free in deflecting away from him.

LJs handling of Moore and Magnússon was despicable imo - one mistake and scapegoated, dropped, and after another one or two mistakes, out of the club. All the while putting up with under par performances riddled with mistakes from others. That was just plain wrong and intimated to me that his man management was lacking in certain areas. 

You don't chuck players, and very decent ones at that, under the bus.

I sincerely hope that DH took note of that and won't go down the same path.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Magnússon was a quality player for me, Something along with his injury ruined his confindence,I remember a tweet when he was left back in Bristol on his birthday and city had an away game from there he wasn't the same player. Doing well in Russia and recently into his life a new born.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Street red said:

Magnússon was a quality player for me, Something along with his injury ruined his confindence,I remember a tweet when he was left back in Bristol on his birthday and city had an away game from there he wasn't the same player. Doing well in Russia and recently into his life a new born.

He was a decent player for us and also a decent bloke and good professional as well, same as Moore. He didn't deserve the treatment he got from LJ which some might say amounted to bullying. You look at how Moore and Magnússon was treated and then look at, for example, his reliance on under performing players such as O'Dowda getting regular games, and his defence of Bentley after a string of mistakes, and its difficult to comprehend his attitude towards Magnússon and Moore. Glad to hear Maggs is doing well in Russia.

I supported LJ while he was here but he had his failings and man management appeared to be a failing.

I cannot see DH being that sort - reminds me of a sergeant major type, straight, hard, but fair, where players know where they are with him and I can see them liking him for it and wanting to put a shift in for him. I hope he is successful.

• Like 6
  • Robin 1
2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

As you say, this pure speculation on your part, and therefore has no basis whatsoever in fact.  

I’m just filling in the gaps from bits I’ve seen for myself and other things I’ve been told by people who know a lot more than I do. None of us know exactly what really goes on so what I’ve surmised there is what I believe to be the case from what I’ve seen and heard. If you choose to believe otherwise that’s for you to decide. 

19 hours ago, red panda said:

We were a club yo-yoing between the bottom half of the Championship (if we were lucky) and League 1.  We are now credible play-off contenders, with the infrastructure to match, and hopefully still improving.  I don't call that failure.  If you're not a critic of SL, I'd hate to see someone who is.

Credible play off contenders?? When was this. 

Steve's interviews are getting better each time and he seems to have a clearer idea of what he wants to do and how he wants to do it than ever before. It tickles me that he still seems to get rattled by what a minority of fans say about him. As for the interviewer: seems like a good bloke but I still miss Adam Baker.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

So was Socrates after he drank the hemlock!

Is that what made him a blinding midfielder for Brazil?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think that’s you’re problem.  You admit that you prejudge what he says (‘my initial reaction is that he’s full of bullshit’) so you’re simply not listening to what he is saying.  Luckily for the club, it doesn’t matter too much if some fans are simply not listening and therefore don’t get it.  The important thing is that the club are trying to do the right thing.  

It maybe my problem, but it's becoming a wider problem as many many feel the same, I have listened to what he has said, and we have been here and heard it all before. 

Unfortunately his actions have built up that pre judgement. 

4 hours ago, collier said:

However the point actually made was about the performance of the academy. Having 1 academy graduate who played in the 18's on trial and after signing on the bench is not an indicator of a highly performing academy. Lrrr does that help you understand the point Cowshed was trying to make here??

I understand the point but saying he didn't play for the academy is wrong, Antoine couldn't have signed anything other than a pro deal for us as a scholarship (the usual terms of u18's football) has to be 2 years and no less so the options were either offer Antoine a pro deal and he still played u18's football or you wait until the end of the year to sign him on and gamble SGS don't tell anyone else about him and he signs elsewhere as we couldn't keep him on a trial for several months. So the idea of him being awarded a pro contract and that only meaning why he's not an academy graduate isn't exactly true.

4 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Lrr academy ends at 16.

No it doesn't..... 'technically' u23's is still academy football even on pro deals but I can understand people thinking 23's is pushing it, but u18's is academy as they haven't yet signed a pro deal and still covered by EPPP.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

No it doesn't..... 'technically' u23's is still academy football even on pro deals but I can understand people thinking 23's is pushing it, but u18's is academy as they haven't yet signed a pro deal and still covered by EPPP.

Academy football is 9-16. The players are on schoolboy contracts. Antoine Semenyo was not at BCFC during this period.

Post 16 payers players may receive a pro contract or become scholars and go onto education programmes external to the academy. Antoine Semenyo was not a scholar.

U18 is the professional development stage of the EPPP. Antoine Semenyo joined at this point. 

• Like 1
Just now, Cowshed said:

Academy football is 9-16. The players are on schoolboy contracts. Antoine Semenyo was not at BCFC during this period.

Post 16 payers players may receive a pro contract or become scholars and go onto education programmes external to the academy. Antoine Semenyo was not a scholar.

U18 is the professional development stage of the EPPP. Antoine Semenyo joined at this point. 

Their scholarship will be paid for the academy as opposed to the 1st team though, education programmes aren't external (perhaps some are), they're on site taught by people employed by clubs. As said Antoine was not a scholar because a scholarship HAS to be 2 years, he was joining in what would have been the second year of a scholarship and therefore had to sign a pro deal to fit with his age, a scholarship wasn't an option.

3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He was a decent player for us and also a decent bloke and good professional as well, same as Moore. He didn't deserve the treatment he got from LJ which some might say amounted to bullying. You look at how Moore and Magnússon was treated and then look at, for example, his reliance on under performing players such as O'Dowda getting regular games, and his defence of Bentley after a string of mistakes, and its difficult to comprehend his attitude towards Magnússon and Moore. Glad to hear Maggs is doing well in Russia.

I supported LJ while he was here but he had his failings and man management appeared to be a failing.

I cannot see DH being that sort - reminds me of a sergeant major type, straight, hard, but fair, where players know where they are with him and I can see them liking him for it and wanting to put a shift in for him. I hope he is successful.

Thing is if Johnson wants to be successful his man management has to improve especially to a quality calibre of player, Magnússon I agree is a decent bloke going from his Instagram posts hes happy and playing regularly.

I hope Holden does become successful at city but I'm still not happy by the way city have gone with a inexperienced option but my frustration won't be aimed at Holden if it goes wrong.. Let's hope the players enjoy playing for him and produce some good performances and more consistently.

Edited by Street red

Just listened to that interview. Two stand outs for me.

1. "Been there done that, got the t shirt"... Sounded like he was done appointing well known more expensive managers. That seemed to be the implication.

2. He reeled off half a dozen Bristol Rugby players coming through the academy. But in the 30 minutes did not mention one City player.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

2. He reeled off half a dozen Bristol Rugby players coming through the academy. But in the 30 minutes did not mention one City player.

That’s because, as is blindingly obvious to everybody, he’s only interested in the Rugby. When will you lot listen. . . 

• Haha 1
Just now, CyderInACan said:

That’s because, as is blindingly obvious to everybody, he’s only interested in the Rugby. When will you lot listen. . . 

Now now don't get your knickers in a twist. I was merely pointing out two facts and not submitting to the treasonous act of criticism of our owner.

• Haha 1