Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Bristol City v John Terry's Aston Villa - Carabao Cup R3 - Match Day

12 hours ago, Monkeh said:

We were poor, very poor in patches, against a villa reserve side who's players would walk into our first team,

We need another cb on loan, get rid of some of the squad as well,

1 defeat isn't bad, its how we react thats the most important thing and this will enable us to see the difference between holden and johnson

It made me realise how much we have improved on last season - the Villa performance was just like an LJ side

• Like 1
1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Heard Traore’s was a fantastic strike. Is it just me who thinks it was a miss hit cross?

However, their third goal was a thing of beauty to be fair to them. Fantastic passing counter attack!

Miss hit cross, even the RB commentator thought so. You're not the only one!

36 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

WHY, did DH play a second string of players against a Premier league team? 9 CHANGES, WHY, 

Because it's the Carabao Cup.

You need to keep the broader squad interested in fighting for place in the league side. Rotation for the early rounds of the cup also allows for us to be fresh for Sunday against Sheffield Wednesday.

I'd take a Loss vs Villa and a Win vs Sheff Weds over a Win vs Villa and a Draw/Loss against Villa. The strategy is obvious, and I don't particularly care that we are out of the League Cup if I'm honest.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Because it's the Carabao Cup.

You need to keep the broader squad interested in fighting for place in the league side. Rotation for the early rounds of the cup also allows for us to be fresh for Sunday against Sheffield Wednesday.

I'd take a Loss vs Villa and a Win vs Sheff Weds over a Win vs Villa and a Draw/Loss against Villa. The strategy is obvious, and I don't particularly care that we are out of the League Cup if I'm honest.

Just playing devil's advocate... what if we lose to Wednesday and Stoke/Villa get a really winnable quarter-final draw? Will it still be the right decision?

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Just playing devil's advocate... what if we lose to Wednesday and Stoke/Villa get a really winnable quarter-final draw? Will it still be the right decision?

The only way to evaluate that would be to look at the league standings at the end of the year, the injury/fitness levels through the season, the emergence of fringe squad/young players. I think this game should go down as right approach, wrong result. Not sure Dean could be blamed for that.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, mozo said:

The converse though is Mawson starts last night, gets crocked inside 10 minutes (like Kalas did) & we are fielding last night’s back 3 in a league game on Sunday.

We have a shortage at the back with Dasilva, Baker & Kalas out (incidentally none of these 3 played enough games last season, either). But to pair Famara & Antoine up top & give Palmer, Nagy, Brunt & HNM opportunities certainly made sense to me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

The converse though is Mawson starts last night, gets crocked inside 10 minutes (like Kalas did) & we are fielding last night’s back 3 in a league game on Sunday.

We have a shortage at the back with Dasilva, Baker & Kalas out (incidentally none of these 3 played enough games last season, either). 

Presumably we'd have to go 4 at the back or hit the short term signings market or both of we lose another central defender?

24 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

Presumably we'd have to go 4 at the back or hit the short term signings market or both of we lose another central defender?

I'd like to think we're looking for another central defender on a long term basis. Perhaps younger. Probably wishful thinking, at this point I'd even consider Ashley Williams as backup....