Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sheffield Wednesday (h) - 13:00 Sunday - What can we expect?


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe.

Just seemed to me that there was too much space front to back in the first half.

2-0 so who cares :)

We all care if, and I repeat if, it means that we go behind by so doing it. Because then we are chasing the game instead of controlling it as we did. We allowed Wednesday too much room in the first half.

Many years ago, when I lived in Shrewsbury, I went to see Shrews play Arsenal in the League Cup. The Gunners back four were Dixon, Bould, Adams and Winterbottom.

They started the match holding a line about 10/15 yards outside their penalty area. So early on Shrewsbury had some activity up to the edge of the box. After 10 minutes, Adams moved them ten yards forward and a couple more times the same movement. By half time they were very close to the halfway line.

End of any attacks by Shrews. The second half was played entirely in the home teams half. It made me realize what a superb tactician Tony Adams was. It was he who made it easy for Arsenal to win because the Second Division side were stifled out of the game.

Too much empty space between the back four and midfield will mean there is room for opponents to have too much possession near our goal. Just the same as if we leave our front two too high from our midfield means they don't have any support to be a danger near goal.

It's early days but we are seeing a seed change in how we are trying to play. Very interesting.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe.

Just seemed to me that there was too much space front to back in the first half.

2-0 so who cares :)

You set me a challenge.

1st half - average position passes made

F9C02784-A626-4CAF-9A7D-00DE3DDF796D.thumb.jpeg.5daeac0bf63a8fbb21bb5277726ddcaa.jpeg

2nd half - average position passes made

648761F4-6642-45C1-A93C-572D6D6C67CB.thumb.jpeg.d2eebbf031faef9af9c2cc00dba4ccb0.jpeg

so Defensive line little change, but....

....this is based on where they passed from not where they defended from - so a futile exercise by me, other than building some functionality to do first half and second half pass maps! 😜

What it really shows is how we got Wells, Martin and Pato on the ball in much higher positions, regardless of defensive line.  So it perhaps was a useful exercise for me after all.  😂

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You set me a challenge.

1st half - average position passes made

F9C02784-A626-4CAF-9A7D-00DE3DDF796D.thumb.jpeg.5daeac0bf63a8fbb21bb5277726ddcaa.jpeg

2nd half - average position passes made

648761F4-6642-45C1-A93C-572D6D6C67CB.thumb.jpeg.d2eebbf031faef9af9c2cc00dba4ccb0.jpeg

so Defensive line little change, but....

....this is based on where they passed from not where they defended from - so a futile exercise by me, other than building some functionality to do first half and second half pass maps! 😜

What it really shows is how we got Wells, Martin and Pato on the ball in much higher positions, regardless of defensive line.  So it perhaps was a useful exercise for me after all.  😂

 

Not having all the tech stuff to hand, I can only go on what I saw.

And I saw a compressed midfield in the second half further up the pitch keeping them penned back.

2-0 so I don't give a shit really :yes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Not having all the tech stuff to hand, I can only go on what I saw.

And I saw a compressed midfield in the second half further up the pitch keeping them penned back.

2-0 so I don't give a shit really :yes:

No, I was agreeing with you....the pictures (because they are based on where passes are made) don’t reflect lots of things that actually happen that we see.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

What I'm liking is 2 clean sheets and only 1 conceded. We look strong defensively (apart from the Villa game) whereas we let in way too many last season. Early days but a good sign. 

Conceding less shots/chances always helps- we often conceded a LOT last season, even when the going was relatively good and the results notably so.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

What I'm liking is 2 clean sheets and only 1 conceded. We look strong defensively (apart from the Villa game) whereas we let in way too many last season. Early days but a good sign. 

As improved as our defence is I still think that’s down to fixing our midfield issues, not so easy to walk through anymore! 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sturny said:

As improved as our defence is I still think that’s down to fixing our midfield issues, not so easy to walk through anymore! 

Yep, just lots of cogs working together, as a team.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, just lots of cogs working together, as a team.  

Indeed, if you said Bakinson, Weimann and Paterson playing as a 3 in midfield was an improvement on this forum 6 months ago you would've been laughed at! Who would've thought. 

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Indeed, if you said Bakinson, Weimann and Paterson playing as a 3 in midfield was an improvement on this forum 6 months ago you would've been laughed at! 

Very few of us knew anything about TB back then. It was only once we saw him play that it became clear that he’s a very decent midfielder 

Edited by Robbored
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Indeed, if you said Bakinson, Weimann and Paterson playing as a 3 in midfield was an improvement on this forum 6 months ago you would've been laughed at! Who would've thought. 

Yep, it’s why I don’t get too animated when I see the team announced.  You gotta see what happens on the pitch.

The last time I did was versus Newcastle (a) with Alby up top and Vyner at RB....and yet we drew 2-2, played really well for a good part of the game too.  I learned my lesson.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Conceding less shots/chances always helps- we often conceded a LOT last season, even when the going was relatively good and the results notably so.

I'm not sure how accurate this site is, but we appear to be second top in conceding shots on target and 6th for having our shots on target.

http://www.footcharts.co.uk/index.cfm?task=basics_shotsontarget

I think @Davefevs has similar stats which may be more accurate, but it doesn't look too bad albeit with a small sample size.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...