IGNORED

Basic mistakes

steviestevieneville

I know our players aren’t top level and will make mistakes .

However, both goals last Saturday , Tuesday and today , we’ve shot ourselves in the foot. Certainly last Saturday and Tuesday have cost us three points . If we’re going to get anywhere near a play off place , we have to cut them out. Pato playing a blind ball round the corner on the edge of our box was schoolboy stuff . 

31 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Paterson being so talented on the ball, it really annoys me that he gets some simple passes wrong.

This is where I imagine Walsh will be a big upgrade. And Williams too, who we have seen play so well at this level.

Agree he does. Today though , that ball was arrogant . Playing a blind ball on the edge of our own box was ridiculous . 
Deans obviously very good with his man management and wouldn't call them out in public . I would of lost it in the dressing room today though if I was him . Calling the whole squad out for simple errors . As I said above , we’ll get nowhere if it carries on.

we've given the opposition a leg up in the last 3 games and given ourselves a mountain to climb 

Hopefully these mistakes will become less of an issue when we change the midfield (i.e remove Paterson and Weimann and play a combination of Bakinson, Brunt, Williams or Walsh). Our defenders should have better passing options in to midfield, reducing the need for them to play higher risk balls or try and beat a press by stepping out, and they will be giving the ball to midfielders who are more comfortable in possession. That’s opposed to two inconsistent headless chickens playing their own game. 

7 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I've had a couple so the build up play I've forgotten about but I felt Vyner committed too early and left his man free. Cracking finish mind.

The first mistake was the ball played into patos feet facing our own goal about 5 yards outside our box . He’s then tried to flick it round the corner with the outside of his foot without looking. Bang, goal. I’ve never been his biggest fan because he goes missing and has too many of those moments in his game. I don’t though , just want to dig him out , it would be unfair . It’s the other basic errors that’s crept into our game. 
Taylor Moore was very lucky first half. The ball went down the touch line and he waited for it to go out of play with two Swansea players around him. It stayed in and he lost possession, they nearly scored. ******* deal with the problem . We’re still way too soft in some aspects 

46 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Paterson being so talented on the ball, it really annoys me that he gets some simple passes wrong.

This is where I imagine Walsh will be a big upgrade. And Williams too, who we have seen play so well at this level.

I am looking forward to Walsh being given a run of games - as on his previous performances for us, other than a 45 minute spell (I believe against Stoke), he has flattered to deceive. Appreciate he is a year on having played a full season for Cov that said. I am struggling to share the view he will likely be an upgrade. I’m not a Paterson fan by any means - in fact, I feel he offers very little the majority of time but will then pop up with a winner. As a forward this is fine. As a midfielder, there needs to be more to your game. I just find the confidence in Walsh somewhat blinded by the fact he has torn up trees playing against sides like Rovers. 

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The first mistake was the ball played into patos feet facing our own goal about 5 yards outside our box . He’s then tried to flick it round the corner with the outside of his foot without looking. Bang, goal. I’ve never been his biggest fan because he goes missing and has too many of those moments in his game. I don’t though , just want to dig him out , it would be unfair . It’s the other basic errors that’s crept into our game. 
Taylor Moore was very lucky first half. The ball went down the touch line and he waited for it to go out of play with two Swansea players around him. It stayed in and he lost possession, they nearly scored. ******* deal with the problem . We’re still way too soft in 

I really don't think Paterson is consistent enough to warrant his place but we don't have lots of options.

Moore needs to improve. Him and Vyner are making basic errors that our costing us. However I seem to keep my cool with Moore. I can't remember a player I've wanted to succeed more than him.I seem to say this every season but even more so this season. The leagues bang average and there's a big opportunity.

18 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I really don't think Paterson is consistent enough to warrant his place but we don't have lots of options.

Moore needs to improve. Him and Vyner are making basic errors that our costing us. However I seem to keep my cool with Moore. I can't remember a player I've wanted to succeed more than him.I seem to say this every season but even more so this season. The leagues bang average and there's a big opportunity.

If you look at Moore today and think - out of our 3 CBs who is the one being asked to play out of position - for the greater cause it’s Moore.  He did fine today, also up against their best player Ayew most of the time.

I said pre-game, Kalas as the middle CB is our “safety blanket” and it was important he played there to cover both CBs, that meant Moore had to play on his wrong side.  Moore will learn there as he gets more time.

Vyner has come back from Barnsley with two strong performances.  Showing he learns from his mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you look at Moore today and think - out of our 3 CBs who is the one being asked to play out of position - for the greater cause it’s Moore.  He did fine today, also up against their best player Ayew most of the time.

I said pre-game, Kalas as the middle CB is our “safety blanket” and it was important he played there to cover both CBs, that meant Moore had to play on his wrong side.  Moore will learn there as he gets more time.

Vyner has come back from Barnsley with two strong performances.  Showing he learns from his mistakes.

I'd say Vyner was partly to blame for our goal although need to watch it back. The same can be said about Moore in general but they both commit too early. Hopefully down to Experience.

22 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I'd say Vyner was partly to blame for our goal although need to watch it back. The same can be said about Moore in general but they both commit too early. Hopefully down to Experience.

Virtually every goal can attribute blame somewhere along its route.  If Robert’s gets a shot off you get blamed for not closing down.

38 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

It's a difficult one, something definitely went wrong (which you could argue it always does, as @Davefevs was saying.)

Here's our defence as their player receives the ball:

image.png.fe9c0bd25e0c59308de9d6965b0d425f.png

And here they are as the through ball is played:

image.png.a975a6dd500fb0999abbb5a8a0dc2e5b.png

For me, it should be Kalas closing him down, and Vyner staying on his man. At least, I don't think we should have so many players being taken completely out the game with a fairly simple ball like that.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, especially when we’ve done the hard work of getting the ball forward with a good set-up.

Some of our players have an obsession with passing to players who are already closely marked too, we make it hard for ourselves to open teams up. I think it boils down to Weimann and Pato not being natural midfielders if i'm honest.

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Some of our players have an obsession with passing to players who are already closely marked too, we make it hard for ourselves to open teams up. I think it boils down to Weimann and Pato not being natural midfielders if i'm honest.

Quite possibly.  They’ve done a good job overall, given us goals from midfield, but I’m not adverse to seeing a different blend....especially against the better teams.

18 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Williams and Walsh I feel will be a massive improvement 

So where are they? 

We struggle when pressed. We like to pass it about, but when harassed we panic and that is when we make mistakes.

We need to mix it up against different teams with different tactics.

Both Walsh and Williams still to come in and stake a claim. This might give us more options.

If we don’t win the midfield battles we won’t be able to dictate the game. It was a problem last season and at the moment it is the same this season. We are playing players out of their natural positions who are not ball winners.

22 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

I agree with Vyner.  It was definitely a rush of blood to the head type moment.  He simply didn't need to commit like that.

Your experience comment is interesting though.  The commentator made a good point yesterday.  The 2 Swansea CBs are apparently 20 yrs old.  That is inexperienced, especially for CBs.

Vyner and Moore are 23 yrs old.  That is not inexperienced.  It's actually quite a few years of football under their belts.  And if it isn't, why not? 

2 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I agree with Vyner.  It was definitely a rush of blood to the head type moment.  He simply didn't need to commit like that.

Your experience comment is interesting though.  The commentator made a good point yesterday.  The 2 Swansea CBs are apparently 20 yrs old.  That is inexperienced, especially for CBs.

Vyner and Moore are 23 yrs old.  That is not inexperienced.  It's actually quite a few years of football under their belts.  And if it isn't, why not? 

Maybe inexperienced at this level? Trying to hard to make an impression? I'm not sure. I worry about Vyner. He hasn't impressed while out on loan at Rotherham  and Aberdeen but now is good enough for us? 

Archived