IGNORED

November will show us if We are contenders for promotion.

Major Isewater

5 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Is anybody else struggling to care as much as they normally would? This isn't an attack on the club at all, but with fans banned and having to watch/follow remotely I just feel... detached.

Without fans, what is sport? Dunno, just all feels a bit pointless. Caught myself just chatting away to friends in the pub on Saturday during the final 10 minutes of the game. In usual times I'd be intensely gripped. Odd.

The main thing is there is still OTIB!

I'm not sure what we will learn from the next two games, if we got good results it would be a bonus. If we lost both, we could look at the missing players and wonder. I really don't think we will know what sort of team we have until we get at least 3 of the 4 back. Add Mawson, Williams and Walsh to what we have and I think we are potentially playoff material. 

Table after 7 games last season. Leeds top, WBA sat in 6th. The eventual play off teams are littered throughout the division and of the four teams in 2nd - 6th place only Swansea (barely) eventually made the play-offs.

There we are on 14pts having won 4, drawn 2 and lost 1 - exactly the same record we have right now. Our goals scored was slightly better, but goals conceded was slightly worse so this season our overall GD is 1 better. Looking at some of my own data that I collect we look to be slipping towards a pretty similar average performance as we had last season. More possession and more passes, but the same creative output. Now, I'm not going to commit to anything until we've got ten games in the bank but right now, if pushed, I'd probably forecast us eventually ending up in that group of 4 or 5 teams squabbling over 6th place.

43 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Lloyd Kelly masterclass incoming on Wednesday.

37 minutes ago, pillred said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he is not sent off, from what I have seen of him since he left us he looks a little reckless and naïve still. 

Looked like he was trying to get suspended so he didn’t have to face us ?

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We have some very tough matches in November and if we can get three or four decent results then we will be looking good for a top six finish IMHO.

December, on the other hand throws up some ‘ weaker ‘ teams .

The City of old would have a respectable November and bodge up the ‘easier’ December matches.

It will be interesting just so we can either enjoy our football without the expectation of a promotion push or get serious for a shot at the big time. 

November of which year?

I am seriously not trying to criticise, just trying to be realistic.   I would be surprised if we got more than a point from the next 2 games, and sincerely hope i am wrong.  We have now settled into the archetypally average championship side, which is where we probably belong.  it was great to have the euphoria of the first 4 games, but all it really did was get some points in the bag to cushion us from future travails, and some publicity?   We are lacking any player, apart from possibly Patterson, who gives us something a little different (on occasions), and without Williams and Walsh ( Oh boy! are we expecting a lot from these two) in midfield, we look vunerable.  I think we should have held on to Morrell until January, as a precaution, in case he was needed, and it does seem strange that Nagy can manage three internationals in a week, but cannot get on our bench?  However DH sees him in training, which I do not.                            Mawson will be a big loss, if he proves to be out for a period of time, but if he wasn't injury prone we would never have got him on loan?   I really do hope that DH can mould a consistent inventive side who play good football, he has only had a very short period of time to make his mark, so it's early days.  But I, like quite few others are beginning to see some warning signs over the past couple of games, which is concerning.  The next few games will tell us a lot, especially against the two recent Premiership sides coming up.  And once again, I really hope that my pessimism is way off the mark.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This was my pre-season prediction:

I had 3 of the 4 you list, and the one I was missing (Watford) I had as 5th.

Reading are the early season curve ball, plus Luton too.  But early days.

Yeah not much disagreement from me. Sheffield Wednesday might be another surprise. They look solid and I think they might comfortably avoid relegation. 

54 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Table after 7 games last season. Leeds top, WBA sat in 6th. The eventual play off teams are littered throughout the division and of the four teams in 2nd - 6th place only Swansea (barely) eventually made the play-offs.

There we are on 14pts having won 4, drawn 2 and lost 1 - exactly the same record we have right now. Our goals scored was slightly better, but goals conceded was slightly worse so this season our overall GD is 1 better. Looking at some of my own data that I collect we look to be slipping towards a pretty similar average performance as we had last season. More possession and more passes, but the same creative output. Now, I'm not going to commit to anything until we've got ten games in the bank but right now, if pushed, I'd probably forecast us eventually ending up in that group of 4 or 5 teams squabbling over 6th place.

I keep meeting to compare our results so far with the equivalent fixture last season. It's called the Jeff analysis or something isn't it...?

I think you might be right Major.

Although, if you look at our incomings only five of them (am I right), three are now injured. - Brunt is there for experience, Martin has been brilliant, Mawson may not play again this season, Williams is injured, Sessegnon is injured. 

To me it looks very much like the midfield cards on the table haven't changed too much. You can argue what you like, but in my opinion the spine of our team is not where Dean would like it to be. We're short a quality midfielder due to the injuries, (even given the emergence of Bakinson), we're short a ball playing centre half, and we don't play to the strengths of our proven goal scorer Nakhi Wells.

In my view @Shtanley ,we're a bit of a Curry of a team, not a Risotto or Paella. Meaning that you can almost throw anything in a Curry, but you can't in a Risotto or a Paella.

Archived