IGNORED

England v CODs Republic

wendyredredrobin

14 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t think 3 at the back suit England but also don’t think southgate trusts his defence. 433- 4231 suits us with the amount of attacking options we have imo 

I don't really like the 3 at the back either. Surely you play players in positions they thrive in. A 433 seems to suit our personnel far better.

I think Roy Keane hit the nail on the head when he said "some of the squad is playing in the Championship, whilst the England squad is playing at the highest level (in whatever country they are based in)."

The Championship is a great league, but let's be honest, if you're regularly playing at that level then you're one of two things:

1. Not good enough for the top/International level

Or

2. Good enough but at an age where you're either slowing, or no longer going to get picked for the international team (Rooney is the first name that comes to mind).

If the players aren't coming through, then there isn't a lot you can do about it. With the exception of players with a family link to the Irish that aren't good enough for their main international team (England for example), your hands are pretty much tied with what you can select.

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Their  coach is trying to get them used to a more possession based game. 

They looked ok to be fair but aren’t the same level as some of England’s individuals.

They lack a cutting edge which is almost always the problem for the minor nations. 

This is the problem. Managers trying to get players to play a certain way, when they are not as good at doing it as the opponents. 

Big Jack got Ireland playing a direct style, which not only suited their players, but also upset their opponents. 

Ireland’s manager would be well advised to play a brand of football which better suits his players abilities. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I like Ward-Prowse. I'm a bit surprised he's still at Southampton. I could see him doing well for a team who are a bit better than them but not quite a traditional 'top 4' club - someone like Everton or Leicester. 

He's the sort of player I could see Liverpool looking at if Milner leaves although JWP probably would want first team football. Very intelligent player, excellent range of passing and good set pieces too.

https://youtu.be/R8qH7JlgSd0?t=63

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is the problem. Managers trying to get players to play a certain way, when they are not as good at doing it as the opponents. 

Big Jack got Ireland playing a direct style, which not only suited their players, but also upset their opponents. 

Ireland’s manager would be well advised to play a brand of football which better suits his players abilities. 

Read my mind.  Was thinking the same last night.  Jack dropped Liam Brady because he didn’t fit with the method.

Look how deep their Passing network is, and how many passes were between the defenders.

2110E812-C65A-4CCE-AC46-7A2C37F76B65.thumb.jpeg.0537b53a4a628311b945fbb1281029c2.jpeg
and here’s O’Dowda’s pass map in 62 mins played (Wyscout includes injury time at end of both halves).

F2B1F74E-A9B2-453A-85D4-7307D2AF4C40.thumb.jpeg.2762af4c8e0f171bf8939a606080f806.jpeg
Must’ve been terribly frustrating.

4 hours ago, Riaz said:

And?? O’Dowda is clearly an Irish name.

Spot on.

His Dad is Irish, all his family history is, too. He is clearly eligible to play for them.

No comparison at all with the “my long dead grandparent apparently was Irish” (or in Tony Cascarino’s case was apparently fictitious all along) or players with distant relatives actually born in Northern Ireland who committed to the Republic that was such a huge feature of the Jack Charlton era.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Read my mind.  Was thinking the same last night.  Jack dropped Liam Brady because he didn’t fit with the method.

Look how deep their Passing network is, and how many passes were between the defenders.

2110E812-C65A-4CCE-AC46-7A2C37F76B65.thumb.jpeg.0537b53a4a628311b945fbb1281029c2.jpeg
and here’s O’Dowda’s pass map in 62 mins played (Wyscout includes injury time at end of both halves).

F2B1F74E-A9B2-453A-85D4-7307D2AF4C40.thumb.jpeg.2762af4c8e0f171bf8939a606080f806.jpeg
Must’ve been terribly frustrating.

Wow. O’Dowda’s pass map!!! 
Not a single forward pass. 
For someone whom I guess is in the team to carry the ball, break lines, take the team forward, that’s mental!! 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wow. O’Dowda’s pass map!!! 
Not a single forward pass. 
For someone whom I guess is in the team to carry the ball, break lines, take the team forward, that’s mental!! 

Zero dribbles according to Wyscout.

For context here is Horgan.

CE594592-78F6-472F-8E11-F441289D77B9.jpeg.c68516c12e9e8f5b2baa9002578344b1.jpeg

and Browne:

B5A1D0D2-0D64-467A-B67A-CAEC1E780530.jpeg.7c91d0efda4806e66d603e8363a81615.jpeg

Archived