IGNORED

Interesting comments from DH post Brum I/V

DT The Optimist

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

That is correct.

It was a ridiculous comment to make by the CEO.

I think he blurted it out because he felt under pressure over the appointment. His rapid thought process may have been something like:

"If I say top 6 I may have to sack him or at least admit I was wrong so I will say no target. Not even improving on last season. Phew, that was close".

He likes his scripted in-house interviews but doesn't like being asked independent questions he hasn't written himself. As his subsequent interview with Twentyman showed.

5 hours ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

We’ve had a creative issue for a number of years. Paterson has been here circa 5/6. Bar a good spell during our cup run season and the first few games of this he’s non existent. If we are content with a 12th-16th position then he’s adequate. To push on, in my opinion, he’s not. 

But what made him so effective in the “cup run season”?

I would suggest it was having players who could respond to his passing - him and Bobby had a brilliant understanding that year - we never replaced Bobby attributes. Weimann, for example, the most obvious replacement, just never clicked or tried to press as a unit and still play and receive short / forward passes.

18 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

It’s on YouTube Bristol City Channel, no doubt will appear on OS.

To quote him ‘...we have to keep going until we get some of our players back in January. Then push on’

Well.. whose he refereeing to ?  Can only be Walsh & Williams ?  The return of Baker ? 

He seemed to agree about what we all saw  today, the lack of quality and  the final ball and passes.  while some on OTIB say Walsh is unproven at this level and you cannot be sure what he brings to the table, I would say a massive improvement on what we have at present.  Two footed, carrier of the ball and shown to us before he can pass the ball and his form when at Coventry...  

Williams..Top rated player at Wigan...   

I remember hearing similar comments from Johnson at various times. 

But then players either didn't return as swiftly as expected, or they didn't regain their best form on their return.

It's not something Holden should hang his hat on.

12 hours ago, RedRock said:

What worries me is that our attacking ‘unit’ is full strength and they look powder-puff. Lacking in cohesion, pattern of play, fluency, consistency ...it all, just once again, seems to be totally random.

Accept that the loss of Andi, has some impact but if we’re saying he was the glue that stuck our forward play together then we’re not going anywhere fast. Pato likewise. When either of those two were fit/on form we still didn’t look like an efficient attacking unit. 

While  I’ve backed Fam in the past, his development seems yet again to have stalled. For me time to get rid.

Fundamentally though we need the/an attacking coach to sit down and work out just what our attacking plan is and then go out and get players that fit the model!

Bakinson not started a game since Bournemouth....8 games!

Not saying he’s the missing link, but along with Weimann it’s 2/3rds of the midfield that got used to playing together.

23 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That assumes we don't pick up anymore injuries between now and January which is extremely unlikely. 

Either Holden is being naive, or making excuses. 

At least his excuses dont include publicly slating individual players which is an improvement on the last incumbent.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yet...

Maybe, but from what I've seen so far Dean doesn't seem to be that sort of person. Behind closed doors maybe, but not in public.

Obviously time will tell on that front.

Also, he does have a point about players coming back and (hopefully) improving us in January, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of managers in the Championship who can say the same considering how many players are dropping like flies this season.

Imo, Mawson will definitely improve us, but there's no evidence yet the likes of Williams, Walsh, Baker or Sessegnon will make a big enough difference to push us towards the top of the table although having the extra numbers should help with resting players and help preventing burnout.

16 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I'd have rather he owned up to making a massive tactical cock-up at HT by going 4-2-4. COD was causing problems finding space for some runs at them centrally, pushed out wide left he became a virtual spectator. After 10-15 mins it was obvious that tactical switch was not working, but Holden just persevered with it anyway. 

Also don't get why he seems to have frozen out Massengo, preferring to game time to the well past it Brunt. 

Nail on head, which I mentioned in the match day thread at the time. Our tactics second half totally negated our most creative player  The change also gave Brum more space out wide allowing their full backs to push on. First half Wells and Semenyo kept their full backs pegged back. Our pressing from the front three was good first half but this ceased with the tactic change allowing them to overrun us at times.

Despite the League position there are more and more fans starting to question the lack of football being played. Much like Lee Johnson was heavily criticised in the slightest because of the father son relationship so fans are starting to see the similarities betwee a DH side and an LJ side.

If he keeps winning we all win but start losing and those questions and comparisons will inevitably be made.

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

Johnson used to talk about imposing our style of football on the opposition, getting on the front foot early to avoid them doing the opposite.  He often achieved that until December 2017.  Increasingly from January 2018 this ceased to be the case until it became very rare indeed during 2019-20.  This is the main thing that changed to create typically horrible football to watch, especially at home where this is more important.  That’s why we ended up getting quite a few backs against the wall away wins, which can often be enjoyable for those who travel away through a siege mentality.  But the home performances became increasingly dominated by whatever the opposition threw at us, with them having more and more possession of the ball and our play becoming scrappier and edgier as a result.

Breath-of-fresh-air Holden promised us again that we would start every game on the front foot and impose ourselves positively on the game.  There have been very few occasions on which that has been true and we’ve been embarrassed by teams with attacking intent.  Games against less well equipped teams quickly become stodgy as we make little impact, resulting in us getting 6 out of our 8 wins this season heavily against the balance of play.  Away performances are identical to Johnson’s time, where we often got results we didn’t deserve with last ditch defending for a great part of the game.

Against Birmingham we had a fantastic chance to reverse the trend.  In the first half they were the first team we’ve seen this season whose passing was more pathetic than ours and who gave the ball away easily under little pressure even more than we do.  Perfect circumstances for us to get on the front foot, as promised, and terrify them with swift passing and movement, to exploit their lack of confidence.  

We didn’t.  We sat back.  They weren’t capable of doing much first half nonetheless, but at half time I said “they can’t be as poor second half”.  And they weren’t, putting together a number of decent moves and attempts on goal which meant that 0-4 wouldn’t have been out of synch with the balance of play.  

Current performances bear all the hallmarks of Johnson’s last 2.5 seasons.  And it is just too depressing and desperate to watch time after time.  At the end of the match, I said “Thank god I wasn’t at the stadium to have to suffer that & the horrible journey home”.

Open-and-honest Holden needs to tell us whether he is going to seek to meet his promise of positive, on the front-foot football, so that we can decide when the offer of physical attendance finally emerges how much suffering we might expect should we choose to attend.

Which ones out of interest:

• Coventry
  • Stoke
  • Sheffield Wed
  • Forest
  • Huddersfield
  • Cardiff
  • Derby
  • QPR

And what is your basis?  Happy if it’s just your opinion.  Which do you think we weren’t heavily outplayed, and do you think we were worthy winners in those two?

What about the draws:

• Barnsley
  • Swansea
  • Watford

I’m assuming you think all the defeats were fair?

• Boro
  • Bournemouth 
  • Norwich
  • Reading
  • Brum

Don’t worry, I don’t think we should have quite as many points going just by performances, nor am I gonna throw stats / xG, etc at it....I’m just interested which 6 wins you thought we were heavily outplayed in.  I’m not looking to change your mind either.

Archived