IGNORED

Is there any excuse or reason to not have any shots in that first half?

Shtanley

6 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Zero shots on goal in that first half, what on earth is that all about? What is the reason?

I have a theory, 
I honestly think that after the Kalas injury, Holden started to go into games trying to stay in it for 45 minutes . It did work for some games , Blackburn and QPR we nicked games. Then add the Paterson injury and it looks like we are trying not to lose in the first half and see what happens 2nd. 

Our football since then has gone backwards and we looked scared to hold the ball, we have no control in midfield and don't keep the ball in the final third. Add that up and you're not going to get shots off, let alone score. 
That team is under performing, yes we have about a full team out but they should be better than 5 of the last 6 halves of football have been.

The excuse - we're fatigued, completely ignoring the increased energy in the second half. Injuries, completely ignoring that the players out injured aren't actually that much better than the players we have in now (with one exception - Mawson). 

The reason - we're a team that should be around 18th with the quality we have.

Every season we seem to think there is an injured player that's going to come back and save us and then when they come back we remember they were good but not as good as we thought. 

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

The excuse - we're fatigued, completely ignoring the increased energy in the second half. Injuries, completely ignoring that the players out injured aren't actually that much better than the players we have in now (with one exception - Mawson). 

The reason - we're a team that should be around 18th with the quality we have.

Every season we seem to think there is an injured player that's going to come back and save us and then when they come back we remember they were good but not as good as we thought. 

Pretty much this. Baker, Afobe, Fielding, even Korey Smith are just some examples.

HAHA...

My best years of supporting BCFC have ALWAYS been in tier 3 (no pun intended there actually), when we're pushing for promotion and essentially almost invincible. The glory years of Turner and Tayler, Gavin, Walsh....

I go to Ashton Gate to be entertained.  I lived in South Africa for 15 years, and arrived back on THAT day, remember, when we beat the mighty United.

I went to AG a couple of times since then. Bloody awful. The sooner we realise we're in the entertainment game the better. We're petrified of losing, and then lose anyway. We're terrified of upsetting our master; Mr Lansdown. And then do it anyway. So I'm with you @Shtanley, let's play the under 12s (my nephew just signed), have some fun and win some games and lose some games. Rather than having no fun and winning some games and losing some games.

All of this rubbish about getting to the premier league. It's just that; rubbish. We'd get dicked 14-0 by Liverpool - do we want that week in week out.

PS: Love the podcast, you guys are my eyes on the games and you are wickedly funny. 

12 hours ago, Pezo said:

The excuse - we're fatigued, completely ignoring the increased energy in the second half. 

This is an interesting point, and one that Greg McGreg or Geoff T20 might explore further with Deano, you would hope.

Mental tiredness and adverse psychological states can manifest itself physically, in lethargic displays, and players and teams "just not turning up," being "on the beach," or the manager "losing the dressing room."

If the players are not convinced, by the manager/hc generally, or his approach or plans for games, or they have some doubt about his approach or plans, this can be detrimental to their physical output. The mind influences the body, for good and ill. 

At 8pm on Friday, we had at least a point to cling to/lose, and so played with caution and tension, and somewhat inhibited; after half-time we had nothing to lose and could play with less inhibition. We could "go for it" in a "0-2 or 1:1, wtf" frame of mind.

A manager or head coach's primary asset (assuming they are a mere mortal and not Johann Cruyff or Pep or Klopp) is not so much to transfer his own brilliance and genius and unique ideas into the players and lift them to hitherto unseen levels they didn't know they had so that they perform like world-beaters (which is what LJ thinks he is on earth to do), it is much more about removing the things that might inhibit what are already talented and competitive athletes from doing what they are good at. 

A manager or head coach can do a fine job by simply not getting in the way of his own players any more than necessary. Something an experienced old-hand will be secure enough to know and accept, and be content with.

On 20/12/2020 at 12:35, Shtanley said:

Dave and Pete join me to discus the poor performance against Preston.

Zero shots on goal in that first half, what on earth is that all about? What is the reason?

Who have we been disappointed with recently?

Was it a penalty?

Are we going to try and get tickets for Wycombe?

Listen here

Isn't having no shots on target a bit wide of the mark?

Archived