IGNORED

Am I alone..?

PFree

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Yep all comes down to the dire football imo since Cotts.

We had some good football under LJ in the championship when we har Reid etc here, unfortunately since we had to sell all our best players it’s gone downhill as we have had no plan in place of replacement.

Everything that’s wrong on the pitch currently is down to the recruiting i reckon.

We had our chance and unfortunately have blown it , new stadium  league cup run, and playing a style of football which pundits were saying would be a credit to the PL.

3 years later the football is awful the excitement has gone and success seems to be viewed as fluking the final play off spot, not as a team to succeed in the PL

This season in league terms is over no promotion / no relegation lets take the opportunity to develop  a more high energy style not the endless square passes and acquire players who fit the remit. ditch the current tactics blood the youngsters and assemble a squad capable of playing entertaining attacking football .

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Yep all comes down to the dire football imo since Cotts.

the "dire football" comes down to the dire managers which comes down to the dire choices of managers/suits chosen by the owner. The buck stops with the owner/engine driver not the sh1te on the wheels.

Its not just the football its the whole exp of going to the game and the crack before and after the match, used to really love following my club home and away, win, lose or draw didnt seem to matter; now its something else, part of a bigger "plan". :doh:

10 hours ago, PFree said:

To position this, I’ve been a ST holder for towards three decades, that said purchasing one for the last couple of seasons has been out of loyalty to my team and club, rather than me looking forward to the football and going to the Gate.

I enjoyed our time under SC but I have to say that since then, perhaps with the exception of the two Manchester games in the FA Cup, I haven’t enjoyed anything about the club. I’m not sure why but I feel no part of it anymore.

It’s a sad thing to say but the only positive for me this season is that I haven’t spent a penny following City, I’ve only watched when we are on Sky or when Robins TV has been free.

I sincerely hope that DH succeeds as he seems a really genuine, passionate football man but, I have to say that to the best of my knowledge, no Assistant has ever really progressed a club further following a Managers dismissal - queue all the correction emails ?.

Finally, and I understand the current financial constraints, I haven’t really seen any drive from the club for many years, when was the last time we signed a player that to you represented a wow feeling?!

I’m not being negative, it’s realism I’m afraid, and I sincerely hope we turn it around one day soon. The South West offers a massive commercial opportunity as there is no competition down here at all, one that if sustained could see us become a stable Premiership side, it really is possible as much smaller clubs have achieved it, but, do we really want it?

Is it only Bristol City you feel this way about? Or are there other interests, pursuits, areas of life where you feel similarly disconnected and distanced from?

Finally, and I understand the current financial constraints, I haven’t really seen any drive from the club for many years, when was the last time we signed a player that to you represented a wow feeling?!

Clearly this is very subjective but, for me, Dasilva, Kalas, Palmer and Massengo were all ‘wow’ signings. Dasilva and Kalas especially who, after successful loan spells, I honestly didn’t think we had a hope in landing permanently.

Wells was also an impressive signing. The Championship top scorer at the time, I believe, at a time when we needed a striker. Hard to argue with that.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment generally, though. I’ll never not be a fan, i’ll always care, I’d still be going whenever I could, if I could etc etc but, at a time when it feels as though the club is going through the motions, and even if that’s fully justified in trying the ride the Covid wave, it’s hard not to reflect that feeling.

You cannot preach promotion, spend three months (?) searching for the man to lead you there, and then appoint the assistant of the bloke you’ve just fired who is apparently the breath of fresh air the club needed. You just can’t. That’s nothing personal on Holden, I hope he succeeds of course, that should go without saying,  but the club made their bed and now we’re all laying in it.

9 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

No, you are far from alone, I agree with everything in the post, the only difference is that I have held a ST for approaching five decades.

In a couple of other threads I have stated we need to have even more patience as the whole Bristol Sport project is not complete yet.  When all of the development work is complete and that includes the training ground and the stars are in total alignment, my view is that then the football element simply has to step up.

Watching Brentford though tonight has made me doubt my faith, will we really be playing like they did in the not too distant future.

I think it needs to be more than this.... This past year has taught everyone what the important things in life are. Unfortunately for many football is no longer a priority especially when the club seems so distanced from the fans. 

Lansdown will just be hoping that as soon as people can return then we will be selling out week in week out. However money will be tight for many now. Also, because of lockdown and furlough many people will have found other things that they enjoy doing at home in their spare time that doesn't cost upwards of £50 a day, 23 days of the year. 

Maybe it's this year making people miss things from the past, however I'm with a previous poster. I miss the old stadium, the old badge, the old players... I feel very little attachment to the club at the moment. Yes to become a big club we probably need to do these things, looking back tho I think without knowing it at the time I was always happy where we were as a club. 

4 hours ago, Malago said:

Why blame the monkey instead of the organ grinder?

Because people are scared to point the finger at the organ grinder..................I can sort of see why given the investment he makes but for me once someone states in public that it's effectively "his club" then that's it "his club, his responsibility alone for performance".

Ashton is clearly a major part of the problem but blaming him alone is a massive cop out by many to avoid criticising the Owner, simple as that.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Because people are scared to point the finger at the organ grinder..................I can sort of see why given the investment he makes but for me once someone states in public that it's effectively "his club" then that's it "his club, his responsibility alone for performance".

Ashton is clearly a major part of the problem but blaming him alone is a massive cop out by many to avoid criticising the Owner, simple as that.

Couldn’t agree more 

Is this the reality of a premiership chasing side? disconnection and corporatism? Don’t get me wrong I want to see city play at the highest level we possibly can and be the best side we possibly can, and the stadium is fantastic. But that doesn’t mean I don’t sometimes miss the days we were smaller, more communal, before the revamp and before Ashton, the old East End, playing shite teams in the ar$e end of nowhere, a million miles from Sky cameras. 

It’s tough to reconcile what I want City to be and what I think football should be 

Is it crazy to sort of not mind if we tumbled down the leagues with some hypothetical assurance that we’d bounce back again, like a holiday away from modern football, and to shake off some of it’s annoyances along the way?

45 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

We had our chance and unfortunately have blown it , new stadium  league cup run, and playing a style of football which pundits were saying would be a credit to the PL.

3 years later the football is awful the excitement has gone and success seems to be viewed as fluking the final play off spot, not as a team to succeed in the PL

This season in league terms is over no promotion / no relegation lets take the opportunity to develop  a more high energy style not the endless square passes and acquire players who fit the remit. ditch the current tactics blood the youngsters and assemble a squad capable of playing entertaining attacking football .

Indeed. Much like the 2007/08 season, a football club like ours gets these opportunities over the course of their history and it will come back to bite you on the ass if you don’t take them. We had the momentum at this level in 07/08 and dithered about and didn’t capitalise on it and we did the same again in 17/18 - as a football club we don’t learn from our mistakes unfortunately.

To position this, I’ve been a ST holder for towards three decades, that said purchasing one for the last couple of seasons has been out of loyalty to my team and club, rather than me looking forward to the football and going to the Gate.

I enjoyed our time under SC but I have to say that since then, perhaps with the exception of the two Manchester games in the FA Cup, I haven’t enjoyed anything about the club. I’m not sure why but I feel no part of it anymore.

It’s a sad thing to say but the only positive for me this season is that I haven’t spent a penny following City, I’ve only watched when we are on Sky or when Robins TV has been free.

I sincerely hope that DH succeeds as he seems a really genuine, passionate football man but, I have to say that to the best of my knowledge, no Assistant has ever really progressed a club further following a Managers dismissal - queue all the correction emails ?.

I’m not being negative, it’s realism I’m afraid, and I sincerely hope we turn it around one day soon. The South West offers a massive commercial opportunity as there is no competition down here at all, one that if sustained could see us become a stable Premiership side, it really is possible as much smaller clubs have achieved it, but, do we really want it?

Not been in years. Love the club but hate those running it. Not got a club feel anymore. Customers everywhere, few fans

Good post.

I did, however think "WOW!" when we signed Brunt - but for all the wrong reasons.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I haven’t been ‘wowed’ since the days of Danny Wilson. Great attacking football with the likes of likes of Tinnion and Murray.

It was dire under both Johnson’s and even under under SC it wasn’t as exciting as under DW.

I put it down to my age.

Cotterill played on the front foot though, that's the difference from many other Managers of recent times and to attain 99 points and amass around a ton of goals in a season is not to be knocked.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I haven’t been ‘wowed’ since the days of Danny Wilson. Great attacking football with the likes of likes of Tinnion and Murray.

It was dire under both Johnson’s and even under under SC it wasn’t as exciting as under DW.

I put it down to my age.

You really are clueless

‘ Dire under SC ‘

Football understanding of a 5 yr old ?

Are you laughed at and ridiculed at your bowls club too ?

A troll at your age - incredible

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I put it down to my age.

I’d say the promotion season under SC was as exciting as anything Wilson’s teams produced to be fair!

Take the football performance out of the equation for the moment.....difficult I know. For me we have become far too bland and corporate. The club would argue 'Professional' I guess. However it is soulless, no communication and no feel for the fans. For example; where is the human face of the club? Difficult to speak directly to any club employee.....when you phone the club it is all automated. The days of someone like Beryl are long gone. The interface between club and fans is non existent. We have Juvenile club Twitter accounts etc. SL has no background in business in being customer facing, a horrible term I know, but it shows across the whole organisation.  Look how convoluted buying a ticket can be, look at the state of the shop, both in terms of products and layout. Its poor. Sorry for the rant.

6 minutes ago, Greedo said:

Is this the reality of a premiership chasing side? disconnection and corporatism? Don’t get me wrong I want to see city play at the highest level we possibly can and be the best side we possibly can, and the stadium is fantastic. But that doesn’t mean I don’t sometimes miss the days we were smaller, more communal, before the revamp and before Ashton, the old East End, playing shite teams in the ar$e end of nowhere, a million miles from Sky cameras. 

It’s tough to reconcile what I want City to be and what I think football should be 

Would be interesting to hear what fans of Brighton, Burnley, Watford, Bournemouth etc think.

I am really envious of Leicester. The owner there was and still seems to be very much part of the matchday experience with the fans. By comparison we look a bit faceless and bland. If it's crap to watch, it's crap to watch, nobody is going to do anything about it. At the next big interview with Lansdown or Ashton I'd like to see them grilled on the standard football and why it's still so poor.   

1 minute ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Would be interesting to hear what fans of Brighton, Burnley, Watford, Bournemouth etc think.

I am really envious of Leicester. The owner there was and still seems to be very much part of the matchday experience with the fans. By comparison we look a bit faceless and bland. If it's crap to watch, it's crap to watch, nobody is going to do anything about it. At the next big interview with Lansdown or Ashton I'd like to see them grilled on the standard football and why it's still so poor.   

Only Twentyman would ask those questions tbf. if he's allowed to.

I think I’m the one who’s alone.  I’ve been watching City for more than 50 years, and have hardly missed a home match for 35 years, but I continue to be excited before every game and hopeful of a good performance and three points. Of course some games have been less enjoyable than others, and some seasons have been less enjoyable than others, but City is part of my life and always will be, and I can’t wait for each match however we’re playing.  My frequent defence of the club has often resulted in the usual ‘happy clapper’ accusations or the witty “Hello Dean”, but the fact is that I love this club, and every season offers something different.  Promotion would be great but it’s not the be all and end all, and as long as we’re not plummeting down the league I’m happy to watch and be hopeful that things will pick up.  Ultimately it is only a game, and as long as I feel that the club - whoever it is - are doing their very best to progress (and I do believe they are, even though we may not have achieved success) that’s good enough for me.

11 hours ago, sadlybrokered said:

It’s more than that to a lot of people though. It was the feeling during the game for the east end lot making a load of noise and having some banter with the away fans and the lads you know. Now we’re pushed out of the way with stewards all around us like we are the bruise of the club, trying to hide us away in the corner.

It was the feel of getting to the pub, walking to the ground having a laugh, hearing those crappy tinny speakers around the outside of the ground and then enjoying a game of football. In these times I couldn’t have cared too much if we lost as long as we grafted and put in the effort. Now it seems very much the opposite, we scrape wins here and there but it is dreadful to watch and the fun of football has been sucked away.

I can now see how FC United of Manchester was formed...

Well said and welcome to the forum, I have a feeling your views and opinions will be interesting reading, there will of course be those on here that disagree with you I try not to take that too personally though it's hard not to sometimes, it's maddeningly frustrating watching and supporting city, but who of us would have it any other way? 

Will always love BCFC, but I am really struggling to think if I would renew my season ticket at the moment after having it for 37 years and going many more years than that. It has nothing to do with off field, I really like the new stadium and the match day experience is good, I dread to think where we would be without SL so no problem how he runs the club.

The biggest factor, is the quality of football on offer and entertainment is dire and can't help but feel that LJ did move the club on but needed an injection to take it forward, but we ended up with part of the existing failing parts, so no new ideas.

I know many will say SL employs the manager so buck stops with him, and that is true, but back when they are interviewing if others did not really say what the club needed to hear and DH pitches his presentation which is aligned with the clubs direction and talks about how he can improve where LJ could not, then given it was a cheaper option with less disruption, I can see why it happened. Could also be an element of MA wanting someone he can control and not undermine him.

But after half a season even with the injuries it would seem DH has no real style or shape of play despite saying we would go for attractive attacking football, some of the substitutions are always too late and bizarre which suggests a lack of tactical nous.

So things need to change, either in luck, players returning or I suspect manger to get BCFC back to me desperate to get back down in the stands, because at the moment the only reason I want to get to the gate is to get a vaccine.

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I put it down to my age.

I agree Robbo. Seems such a long time ago that we were "walking in a Wilson wonderland"

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I put it down to my age.

Most enjoyable time for me watching city. As a supporters club member at the time and young lad it was great watching players like Stowell, Peacock, amankwaah etc coming in for drinks and chatting to the fans. 

39 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Cotterill played on the front foot though, that's the difference from many other Managers of recent times and to attain 99 points and amass around a ton of goals in a season is not to be knocked.

I’m not knocking SC at all. He did a decent job at AG but his style was nowhere near as attractive as that under DW.

Archived