IGNORED

Mick McCarthy 1st Half Masterclass (first 40 mins)

Davefevs

Less of a master class, more an experienced pro at this level setting his side out with a clear plan and style to beat the opposition which his team clearly bought in to. As Rowett (?) said earlier in the season I’m sure Mick would agree it was a simple game plan but as often is the case, very effective against us. 

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Cardiff have played this style for a few years now. There is nothing new here, long balls to a wing, pull the opposition across the pitch, switch play and cross whilst all the players are running back towards goal.

I guess the point is for all of OTIBers out there who look at formations as the answer, Cardiff have been a 4231 team for a number of seasons, but today they were 5212/5221 (Ojo flexible), yet the style was the same.

They matched up our 3 forwards with 3 CBs, and then had the extra man in the rest of the pitch.  They didn’t eff about with it at the back.

2 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

Less of a master class, more an experienced pro at this level setting his side out with a clear plan and style to beat the opposition which his team clearly bought in to. As Rowett (?) said earlier in the season I’m sure Mick would agree it was a simple game plan but as often is the case, very effective against us. 

Go back to Gary Rowetts comments 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I can just about see City's plan, but executing against the wrong opposition.

I thought this about 3 minutes in. I haven't seen them under MM, but you didn't have to watch much to pick up on their tactics. Yet we kept falling for it and giving away free kicks, that said the Ref was complicit in that, fell for everything.

Can't help feeling it ws a failing on Holden's part not pre warning them, or if he did reminding them during the game. 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

That's his first win after quite a few games, other teams don't seem to have problems playing them

Most teams cheat and play 2 full backs.

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

Nice one Dave. Where would the game be today without the technology eh? 

It ain’t rocket science.  If I can spot the problems why can’t they?  It’s more complex than just saying “no shit Sherlock, they’re playing long ball” - because we can’t do that either.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought this about 3 minutes in. I haven't seen them under MM, but you didn't have to watch much to pick up on their tactics. Yet we kept falling for it and giving away free kicks, that said the Ref was complicit in that, fell for everything.

Can't help feeling it ws a failing on Holden's part not pre warning them, or if he did reminding them during the game. 

Most teams cheat and play 2 full backs.

With all the breaks in play, it took me 20 minutes to work out our system.  But you’re right, they are happy for a non-flowing game, because they can launch it.

Ref was awful....not an excuse though.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s more complex than just saying “no shit Sherlock, they’re playing long ball” - because we can’t do that either.

And yet we tried over and over to hit Fam when he was marked by a couple of monsters. If ever there was a game to play to his feet ( and I'd say that was every game) it was today.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

What about giving Cardiff the ball from our throw in and they score?

We cannot keep the ball from our throw ins. Do we ever practice this aspect of our game?

Cardiff’s thrown ins were the most basic it’s possible to get. Yet they caused us havoc! 

2 hours ago, sludge said:

Cardiff’s thrown ins were the most basic it’s possible to get. Yet they caused us havoc! 

Bill Shankley once said:

Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.

So why do we make it so difficult.

7 hours ago, Greedo said:

Weird how Cardiff appointed themselves a proper football manager and are winning football matches and didn’t just set the criteria for their manager search at “good human”. 

Yeah but hang on a mo; Ashton also said Dean was an 'outstanding football coach' . ?.

In all carey fairness to Dean I am also convinced he is an outstanding coach but not at this level. Sorry Deano. Oh, hang on, do you think that is what Ashton was referring to. He must have got caught up in his own spin there.

8 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

Bill Shankley once said:

Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.

Not very good at winning the ball back from the opposition for starters. 
Lots of poor decision making when we do have the ball as well. Not too mention lack of movement. 

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

Bill Shankley once said:

It's also rather complicated by the opposition and tactical schemes to stifle, to track are quite different to his day.

That aside, someone but I don't remember who said: "Football is a simple game, complicated by the opposition". Quite easy to set up to stifle I suspect as we saw today in 2nd half especially.

We saw it arguably in reverse at Cardiff in November...we scored after a minute and try as they might, they couldn't break us down.

On a general note, with respect to simplicity of plans or otherwise. When you have 7 or 8 outfield players in and around the box with tactical discipline, holding onto something- pretty hard to pick through!

10 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Not sure it was rocket science, pick on the player that is out of position playing LB who has no pace

Spot on, as Mick said after the game  "I watched their game at Brentford in midweek and knew they were struggling for a left-sided defender". 

We all knew that too, there MUST have been a left back out there Ashton could have bought in on loan or whatever. Unless Holden & Simpson assured Ashton they didn't need one.

No ways a masterclass. That sort of description only applies to  Pep win where Man C win easily with 85% possession or where a Lee J team beats Man U. 

Never to a route-1 tactic. Even Warnock could do that and he's not a good manager. Of yesterday's odd results perhaps Bees win may have been that but Warnock's team are getting so many critics in Teeside, who knows. 

We were just not at the game yesterday and this happens 6 times or so every season, even when a proven good coach is in charge, Witness Lee J and even Cotts in our Double Season. 

And, of course Ashton wasn't playing (though some jokers on here clearly don't know that) , he just brings in players we are pleased with. Only the players can take responsibility for not performing yesterday 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Spot on, as Mick said after the game  "I watched their game at Brentford in midweek and knew they were struggling for a left-sided defender". 

I posted that yesterday. It ain’t rocket science to see where City's weakness is. Any opposition manger would have noted that.

It’ll be exactly the same at Bramall Lane midweek. 

9 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Bill Shankley once said:

That’s like saying that all you need to do in golf is get your ball in the hole in fewest possible strokes............:cool2:

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

We all knew that too, there MUST have been a left back out there Ashton could have bought in on loan or whatever. Unless Holden & Simpson assured Ashton they didn't need one.

Should have offered a short term  contract to Daniel Sturridge.

Archived