IGNORED

Fixing Statistics

ExiledAjax

Article in the Guardian on how stats and xG are being used to identify suspicious events and betting patterns. Honestly at this point I'd be delighted if it came out that our form is just because we're match-fixing.

"In another case, a team suspected of fixing the match had no touches in the opposition box, suggesting a lack of intent and triggering an alert."

Who could this mystery team possibly be?

"A third match under review involves a late goal from a near-post corner following a large number of suspicious bets on the number of goals in the game. Although on the surface nothing appeared wrong with the players’ actions, investigators used tracking data to show the defending team’s set-up and movements were completely different for the final corner."

Like a Holden post match interview.

Full article:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/13/expected-goals-being-used-in-football-war-against-match-fixing-data

6 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We do mark them for set pieces, it's just that we don't move or challenge for the ball when they do (or if we do then we certainly don't challenge for the second ball).

You mean the opposition are allowed to move at set pieces?! Has anybody told our "young coach learning the job " and our "top England coaches" this?

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Waiting for a player to just cower and admit they're shit ?

Of course xG isn’t the be-all and end-all. But if a team has a ton of shots from good positions but fails to score it might be a sign something is amiss.

What do those terms ton of shots and good positions mean? Asking for a friend who is a good human you understand.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I assume we have reviewed what he does - Ashton tells us we review everything all the time - and concluded that he is doing fine then!

I genuinely don’t think that our centre halves are great aerially China

Mawson was prob the strongest 

Kalas is a warrior type , throws his body in the way and springs well , but he’s quite often done in the air or gets sucked under the ball 

Vyner and Moore couldn’t be described as dominant and both again have been caught out by movement

My thoughts would be you can work on the defending movement but none of those three will ever be dominant against opposition centre halves or forwards 

One solution could be to play as high a line as possible , depending on the angle and ask Bentley to dominate that larger space

Needs some work either way 

Archived