Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Imagine playing for non league Woking, being picked out, shoved in a league one/championship team and being that good!

And then doing relatively little afterwards.

Remarkable how the time, team, place, everything all just seemed to come right when he was at City.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

And then doing relatively little afterwards.

Remarkable how the time, team, place, everything all just seemed to come right when he was at City.

I just have visions of him diving high in the air, full stretch, only to catch the ball when others would have parried.  Remarkable. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Yeah, their paths crossed for one season I think. COYR 

I’d love him back here... strikes me his positivity would be just what’s needed now! 
 

Also, funny how things turn out. He was shunned for not signing a contract.... fast forward and we are now relying on half a squad whose contracts are running out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I just have visions of him diving high in the air, full stretch, only to catch the ball when others would have parried.  Remarkable. 

He had the quickest feet of any keeper I think I've ever seen. Sounds like an odd trait for a keeper, but it meant that he was always perfectly placed to launch himself into one of those leaps with the minutest of time to prepare.

My over-riding memory of him is coming round from concussion at Yeovil (I think) and almost laying one on our trainer for daring to suggest that he might have to come off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I just have visions of him diving high in the air, full stretch, only to catch the ball when others would have parried.  Remarkable. 

Great keeper - brilliantly agile , as you rightly say , and inspirational too

Think the inspirational , and character traits , of some players are undervalued a lot

Like Bentley , a match / points winner 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very very rare that a GK can inspire a side. For whatever reason, he just hit his dream form, and belief. It was sad when he could not replicate that elsewhere, maybe he needed that sense of belief. One player that always made me smile, and some of his saves were unreal. For his time, place, and magical atmosphere, one of those players you were delighted to have seen at City. Whilst i know keepers have to play football now, I still like it when you say "how did he ever stop that" . With Basso it happened, in that famous season ,all the time. Wonderful memories. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I will get some pelters for this but i thought He was very overrated 🙈🙈

 

Thank god for that. I was just about to make a similar comment!

He was adequate as a keeper, half his spectacular saves were relatively simple ones exaggerated for a camera lense and distribution was no better than average.

Did he not also throw his toys out of his favela trying to get a transfer when no offer had been received?

Yeah, get that he made the odd favourable comment and signed autographs with some religious guff on it, but the way some seem to remember him, you'd think he was the greatest keeper we'd ever had.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, now you’ve started something - our greatest keeper ever? My favourite was Mike “Gibbo” Gibson, and always the 1-2-3-4 steps and jump up to touch the bar at the start of every game, marvellous. Also wonder goal scorer Ray Cashley who knocks  on my door every couple of months representing W-S-M football club fund-raising, great banter when I ask him what it was like, haha!

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thank god for that. I was just about to make a similar comment!

He was adequate as a keeper, half his spectacular saves were relatively simple ones exaggerated for a camera lense and distribution was no better than average.

Did he not also throw his toys out of his favela trying to get a transfer when no offer had been received?

Yeah, get that he made the odd favourable comment and signed autographs with some religious guff on it, but the way some seem to remember him, you'd think he was the greatest keeper we'd ever had.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Savino said:

Jeez, now you’ve started something - our greatest keeper ever? My favourite was Mike “Gibbo” Gibson, and always the 1-2-3-4 steps and jump up to touch the bar at the start of every game, marvellous. Also wonder goal scorer Ray Cashley who knocks  on my door every couple of months representing W-S-M football club fund-raising, great banter when I ask him what it was like, haha!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Amazed he never played in the Premier League!

The bloke was calamity jane. Utter donkey.. But made great camera saves.. Hense why he failed after city

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I wasn't sure it was legit, couldn't believe he's only got 1500 followers.

One of my favourite ever City players, just for the positivity he brought and the bond with the crowd

Great positivity awful goalkeeper

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...