Jump to content

If the kids are United....


Davefevs
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

...I’ve never known OTIB so aligned!!

A nice pleasant read tonight. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

7 days ago OTIB was also aligned..... aligned in anger and fear! 

 

That appointment has rejuvenated the club as a whole (yes I know it’s just 2 (1) game with NP at the helm, but my god what a change as you say Dave. 
 

Football is a funny old game as they say, but 7 days ago if you had said we would take 6 points, score 6 goals, suddenly look more cohesive and show some dedication and passion you’d of been laughed off here. 
 

Suddenly the whole of OTIB is looking UP- I’m just going to enjoy the end of the season

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone once said a week is a long time in politics but it’s also a long time on this forum. I know it’s renowned for massive mood swings but even by the usual standards, the fillip of Nige being a serious candidate, then actually being appointed, followed by two 3-1 away wins, the change is immense. The players seem to have so much more confidence as well. Add in the sunny spring weather and suddenly everything just seems a bit better with life!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Very happy that we now have a proper ‘manager’ , I have great faith in Nige, let’s hope the club don’t screw this up.

As we all know, he is his own man and takes no crap from ANYONE- slightly concerned about how that may play out.

Well putting half the academy in the squad is certainly going to endear him to SL, so that's a good start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Very happy that we now have a proper ‘manager’ , I have great faith in Nige, let’s hope the club don’t screw this up.

As we all know, he is his own man and takes no crap from ANYONE- slightly concerned about how that may play out.

The board potentially screwing this up is the elephant in the room, IMO. The appointment feels like the perfect fit. The fans are happy, the players look happy, the momentum has changed and long may it continue. All we can do is enjoy the ride. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Little concerned that he may end up managing in the prem next season with or without us. Let’s hope we offer him enough to stick around

Whatever happen for the rest of the season I really hope that the required pound notes will be found to keep NP and the players he wants to keep and bring in, here this summer, and that this is not just an ultimate ST seller.

Hopefully he will get 2/3year contract and this club and its fans will be filled with hope and unity, niggling worry that a manager of NP quality gets such a sort term while others with little to no exp get years.

NO EXCUSES STEVE give him what he wants and this club will make huge strides forward, please dont put us back on the hopeless roundabout. :pray:

Edited by glos old boy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Well putting half the academy in the squad is certainly going to endear him to SL, so that's a good start.

I feel next season a lot of those will need loans away. I'm sure there's benefits to being part of the squad, but the likes of Pearson, Bell,Conway and probably Towler need regular game time I think. Towler I doubt will get that here once we have more options.

We have seen with others how beneficial loans away have been. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I feel next season a lot of those will need loans away. I'm sure there's benefits to being part of the squad, but the likes of Pearson, Bell,Conway and probably Towler need regular game time I think. Towler I doubt will get that here once we have more options.

We have seen with others how beneficial loans away have been. 

Maybe, but as far as we know, there were some more experienced players available for the bench, but he chose not to pick them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Port Said Red said:

Maybe, but as far as we know, there were some more experienced players available for the bench, but he chose not to pick them.

Maybe. That would really surprise me. To be fair Tins thinks Scott is close to being a first team player, so might be he will be in amongst the squad regularly.

Would be great if Pearson is backing them that much. More than happy for many of them to be loaned out though rather than back up and rarely getting minutes in our first team next season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Maybe. That would really surprise me. To be fair Tins thinks Scott is close to being a first team player, so might be he will be in amongst the squad regularly.

Would be great if Pearson is backing them that much. More than happy for many of them to be loaned out though rather than back up and rarely getting minutes in our first team next season.

 

Exactly this IMO we have finally managed to not just include but play a few young-uns to the point they have completed the transition into first team squad players regardless of who we sign in the summer. If we can use the rest of the season to have a good look at the next closest few, we may then have our future planning brought forward and commit to  transitioning x,y,z into first team players next year but learning the rest are ready or in need of a loan.  Could possibly save us from signing squad fillers in the summer aswell. 
 

Any ideas on what size squad CiderNige seems to prefer out of interest?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, united forum but still a liberal sprinkling of inaccuracies. Biggest examples are - 

1. Posters yesterday saying at last a manager who plays Wells centrally. Then fans like myself who actually watched/listened to the game, pointed out Wells was left of midfield for an hour of the game on Pearson's instructions.

2. Some posters asking why Nigel was appointed when Johnson left. Despite the fact he was very ill with covid at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, City1984 said:

Exactly this IMO we have finally managed to not just include but play a few young-uns to the point they have completed the transition into first team squad players regardless of who we sign in the summer. If we can use the rest of the season to have a good look at the next closest few, we may then have our future planning brought forward and commit to  transitioning x,y,z into first team players next year but learning the rest are ready or in need of a loan.  Could possibly save us from signing squad fillers in the summer aswell. 
 

Any ideas on what size squad CiderNige seems to prefer out of interest?

Interestingly on the club website Bell and Pearson appear as first team players, rather than on the u23’s squad list 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I for one will enjoy every moment Nige is here.  Hope that will be for the long term, but I have little confidence that after quarter of a century of SL, having finally appointed a proper manager, he won’t somehow manage to screw it up.  Really do hope he’s finally seen the light - better late than never, as they say.

We don’t want any more second, third rate, Head Coaches and find ourselves back in Brenda territory, ‘oh no, not another!’

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

...I’ve never known OTIB so aligned!!

A nice pleasant read tonight. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It didn't take much either - an experienced manager with good pedigree. And a few goals. (all early days admittedly).

This is an excellent forum, and I think we're an excellent fanbase. Believe we now have an excellent manager - IF the stars are aligning as they sometimes do should be an exciting & enjoyable ride. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NewquayRed said:

Little concerned that he may end up managing in the prem next season with or without us. Let’s hope we offer him enough to stick around

Does he want to at this stage in his life? If he went to a lower Prem side what would he get before he`s sacked by some nutty foreign owner for losing to Man City & Liverpool? 

If he buys in to our project and can see the opportunity to build something like he did at Leicester and become a legend down here into the bargain that might be more appealing than the goldfish bowl of the Premier League.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I wonder if Mr Lansdown will ever appoint someone so universally unwanted by the fans again (Holden, LJ)

He must be witnessing this now thinking how much easier is this when all the fans are on side?

I'd say LJ got a mixed reception, and Holden was baffling in the circumstances. But most fans were behind them (at least initially) when they were appointed. You're making them sound like Tony Pulis or Ian Hollaway.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's blooming' marvellous.    This is the first time that SL has appointed a tried and tested manager (interesting that's the word he uses in the interviews rather than Head Coach, I thought)  The buzz that it's created is a joy.      

You can see the players relish having him on board.    The formation tweak at half time changed the game.    He exudes experience, know how and confidence.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'd say LJ got a mixed reception, and Holden was baffling in the circumstances. But most fans were behind them (at least initially) when they were appointed. You're making them sound like Tony Pulis or Ian Hollaway.

There’s a difference though, Holden and LJ were always fighting against it, the fans were expecting little & as soon as a few losses come call for their heads. 

Pearson you’re likely to see the opposite, he’s been there done it, it will be the players if a few results go tits up. Pearson will be backed for longer. Hope he sticks around.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a change to have a manger that is not making it up and learning on the job. Very early days, but to finally see the players working for each other is a big step forward. Suddenly we are not making excuses and talking about injuries, we are talking about who we have available and how they can work together. As soon as we have 52 points the owner needs to make his mind up, because NP will need to build his squad, and recruitment for that is the big one. When SC was able to do it, we saw the results. NP has been firefighting in his last jobs and we will see the best from him when he has a squad that is able to work to his plan. There are no guarantees of course, but it is a relief to the fanbase we are not having to listen to jibberish and nonsense. The last 4 years have been tough. In terms of man management it is very clear the key players are fired up. They clearly believe in NP.

The other elephant in the BCFC room is recruitment of course, and that needs addressing sooner rather than later , as the summer is key with the issue of costs and so many players out of contract. Great opportunity if you recruit well and to a plan. He may well work with Simpson and Downing, who knows, but you would expect him to bring in Walsh at least. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Maybe, but as far as we know, there were some more experienced players available for the bench, but he chose not to pick them.

Out of interest, who do you think might not have been selected?  Lansbury and Pato were out of contention due to injuries....I can’t think of who else could’ve come in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...