IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

italian dave

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm absolutely sure he will. I rate both but would not be surprised if Kelly goes on to have a more successful career than Webster. Being naturally left sided is also a bit of an advantage.

If I had to bet who would get more England caps I would say Kelly. 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Me too. Unusually for England, our weakest position seems to be centre back. Historically that's quite often our strongest. John Stones is playing well this year but aside from him there's plenty of opportunity for English centre halves if they put together some good form. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Me too. Unusually for England, our weakest position seems to be centre back. Historically that's quite often our strongest. John Stones is playing well this year but aside from him there's plenty of opportunity for English centre halves if they put together some good form. 

Keane at Everton is having a strong season. If politics and clubs didn’t come into play, Stones and Keane would be my starting pair for the Euros

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I mean I'd take that bet purely on Kelly being 4 years younger, left footed and able to play CB and LB without taking their performance levels too closely into account. I don't think Webster will play for England, he's the same age as John Stones and I think they'd go to a younger talent like Ben White before Webster unless Webster got a move to a big club. 

4 minutes ago, Will Rollason said:

I look at Lloyd and see a great athlete that plays football. I think we did well out of that deal tbh.

I think everyone did well. Bournemouth got England under 21s best defender for what will look like pennies in the future and we made good money on an academy player.

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I mean I'd take that bet purely on Kelly being 4 years younger, left footed and able to play CB and LB without taking their performance levels too closely into account. I don't think Webster will play for England, he's the same age as John Stones and I think they'd go to a younger talent like Ben White before Webster unless Webster got a move to a big club. 

If Brighton had a good striker they’d be top half and players like White and Webster would be talked about as England players.  Brighton have conceded as many goals as Man United and West Ham and from what I have seen, those two have been a big part of that. Dunk as well of course 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If Brighton had a good striker they’d be top half and players like White and Webster would be talked about as England players.  Brighton have conceded as many goals as Man United and West Ham and from what I have seen, those two have been a big part of that. Dunk as well of course 

I just don't see Southgate picking a Webster when Dier and Walker are part of his first choice back 3

Just now, Lrrr said:

I just don't see Southgate picking a Webster when Dier and Walker are part of his first choice back 3

Dier is awful so if Southgate keeps picking him then we have no hope. Dier wouldn’t get in the Brighton team in my opinion. 

We look back on the ‘golden generation’ as being mismanaged under Sven and in 5 years we will look back on Southgate mismanaging today’s crop I reckon. 

24 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That's true and really pathetic. 

Sign for Arsenal and he'll be straight in. What a joke.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The reason why Dasilva was played over Kelly is because Kelly is not a natural left back. It has always been the intention of the academy (and presumably Bournemouth) to mould him into a CB. He was identified at a young age as having the outstanding physical attributes for a top modern defender (think Tyrone Mings) but needed to grow into his man strength. 

Obviously until he's strong and imposing enough to play CB they will try him as a fullback - fairly common with young defenders to do this - but at the time Dasilva was a more experienced and effective LB/LWB for what we needed at that time.

Exactly. Last night was actually the first time I have seen Kelly playing as a CB, even though City always said he was a CB really. That said, wasn’t there a Joe Bryan quote along the lines of “I had to leave Bristol City as it was only a matter of time ‘’till I lost my place to Lloyd Kelly anyway” - or did I dream that?

49 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Time will tell. He is only 22 so I can see him going on to play for a good Premier League team and Bournemouth selling him for a lot more than they paid for him 

I think if they don't go up this season then he'll be off to a top 10PL club.  

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Ref was abysmal....couldn’t wait to give them decisions.  Does my head in how easily bought they are.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if it is subconscious, "parachute refs" are an actual thing - particularly last night when the ref is a Prem Ref and the team is an ex-Prem team. At least he waved away the player in the second half who ran into the box and promptly threw himself to the ground.

Enjoyed your solo contribution on FBC (on the train to work this morning), bit more measured than what followed ;)

10 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Exactly. Last night was actually the first time I have seen Kelly playing as a CB, even though City always said he was a CB really. That said, wasn’t there a Joe Bryan quote along the lines of “I had to leave Bristol City as it was only a matter of time ‘’till I lost my place to Lloyd Kelly anyway” - or did I dream that?

Kelly was left back last night

Bournemouth fans thought he was poor and city fans thought he was great.  Funny old game! 

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

He is the example of three things that we all witnessed if you watched his progress on the pitch at BS3;

1) THe academy proves it's worth time and time again and is one of the many great achievements by SL

2) He came through and was developed hugely by Lee Johnson who did this with several players

3) Mark Ashton again extracted good money from a EPL club for a 'potentially good player

I liked Kelly but he had numerous nightmares for us too as any very young player stepping up into the Champiosnhip will do. Interesting now to see how  the next group of youngsters come through and either make it at City or get sold on to enable the manager to mix the blend of youth and experience he wants.

I was interested to hear Nigel say he was pleased with Lansbury's brief appearance last night, i havent seen much to be positive about so far and feel he is always close to a yellow or red card

That’s one way of looking at it, or you could simply say that Lloyd Kelly is a natural talent who was going to develop under anyone’s tutelage and be sold for a sizeable fee. We were lucky to have him when we did, although I think it would’ve been better for his development to have stayed with us for another year. 

If anyone deserves most of the credit, it’s whoever linked us up with Bristol Inner City Academy as they’ve given us Kelly, Reid and others. They’re arguably developing the most talent in Bristol. 

1 minute ago, Olé said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if it is subconscious, "parachute refs" are an actual thing - particularly last night when the ref is a Prem Ref and the team is an ex-Prem team. At least he waved away the player in the second half who ran into the box and promptly threw himself to the ground.

Enjoyed your solo contribution on FBC (on the train to work this morning), bit more measured than what followed ;)

Referee in the Stoke/Swansea game last night for Naughton's dive

50c1l6.jpg

3 minutes ago, tin said:

That’s one way of looking at it, or you could simply say that Lloyd Kelly is a natural talent who was going to develop under anyone’s tutelage and be sold for a sizeable fee. We were lucky to have him when we did, although I think it would’ve been better for his development to have stayed with us for another year. 

If anyone deserves most of the credit, it’s whoever linked us up with Bristol Inner City Academy as they’ve given us Kelly, Reid and others. They’re arguably developing the most talent in Bristol. 

SGS gave us Semenyo as well

My son is at BIC.  It’s a superb academy.  There is definitely an unofficial link between them and City.  Mutually beneficial for both parties. 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Definitely seems  that way, ref wise. Ex PL seem to get rub of the green somewhat. Consider:

1) Rowe head injury at Norwich, albeit Norwich fans were crowing about it being a diversion on their forum.

2) Handball goal same game.

3) Palmer penalty conceded. Very good eyesight from that angle.

4) Naughton penalty at Stoke.

5) Wycombe non penalty at Watford.

6) Brentford non penalty at Norwich.

7) Hunt head injury last night.

Not saying these were all wrong but some clearly were and some were debatable.

With the exception of Stoke v Swansea, all wrong or doubtful decisions fell the way of recent PL vs non recent PL. It's incredible.

6 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

For me he was one of standout players of the night. I saw that Woodgate described him as being a Rolls Royce, and I would not disagree.

Of all the players we sold he was the one that annoyed me the most, and certainly worth trying to hold onto for another couple of years. I think the £12M we got for him will look like chicken feed when compared to what Bournemouth might get for him on his next move.

But don't we have a sell on clause?

6 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Is a fit Dasilva better tho?

Nope.

injury problems are clear for everyone to see, but his size will mean his ceiling is limited. I wouldnt be against finding a more reliable option at lb in due course, maybe towler could do it as he gets more experience, hes a similar build to kelly.

4 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

SGS gave us Semenyo as well

My son is at BIC.  It’s a superb academy.  There is definitely an unofficial link between them and City.  Mutually beneficial for both parties. 

Is there a connection too with bristol central football club? One of the best youth teams in the city

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Many prospects don’t fulfil their potential. Kelly has been coached well, whether you like it or not. He has even said so himself in the past 

Of course he's been well coached. And with his natural ability, he makes a very good footballer. I was just admonishing the poster who seems to believe that LJ was solely responsible for Kelly's development. And I believe that, especially in his last season here, he had very few starts, which I consider slowed his development and size of transfer fee that we could have got if he'd gone somewhere like Liverpool. They were the club, I understand, who wanted Kelly when he was still in our Academy.

So two differing opinions about Lloyd Kelly development. You take your pick.

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Of course he's been well coached. And with his natural ability, he makes a very good footballer. I was just admonishing the poster who seems to believe that LJ was solely responsible for Kelly's development. And I believe that, especially in his last season here, he had very few starts, which I consider slowed his development and size of transfer fee that we could have got if he'd gone somewhere like Liverpool. They were the club, I understand, who wanted Kelly when he was still in our Academy.

Can’t see anyone who has said LJ was solely responsible 

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Looking it up Lloyd seemed to definitely start 25 games, was subbed on in 7 and its questionable on two games as he looks like he played a half, can't tell if started or came on, 8 starts the previous season to 25 is a good jump for any player. As said Lloyd didn't play 2nd fiddle to Jay they shared game time equally, honestly what fee were you expecting  us to get for him? 

14 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Awesome story, so grounded n level headed when you think what care does to a lot of kids, huge inspiration to others

Inspirational stuff.

Being good at football is one thing, but the 10 GCSEs really stood out for me.

I think foster parents are probably the most unsung heroes of this country, along with care workers. 

I wish Lloyd all the success in the world, what he has already achieved with the help of his foster parents is truly humbling.

Archived