IGNORED

Lloyd Kelly

italian dave

36 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Good to see hime back at Ashton Gate and seemingly staying fit now.

I thought he had a very good game.

Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer, bar the booking thought he was excellent. Still destined for big things if staying fit in my opinion 

6 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer, bar the booking thought he was excellent. Still destined for big things if staying fit in my opinion 

Very good foul tbh, wells breaking towards the box, knew at worst he’d pick up a yellow so sensible choice 

He is the example of three things that we all witnessed if you watched his progress on the pitch at BS3;

1) THe academy proves it's worth time and time again and is one of the many great achievements by SL

2) He came through and was developed hugely by Lee Johnson who did this with several players

3) Mark Ashton again extracted good money from a EPL club for a 'potentially good player

I liked Kelly but he had numerous nightmares for us too as any very young player stepping up into the Champiosnhip will do. Interesting now to see how  the next group of youngsters come through and either make it at City or get sold on to enable the manager to mix the blend of youth and experience he wants.

I was interested to hear Nigel say he was pleased with Lansbury's brief appearance last night, i havent seen much to be positive about so far and feel he is always close to a yellow or red card

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nah, Vyner just got wrong side and stumbled.

But ironically was exactly what happened to Lloyd Kelly when Bakinson broke on the counter down the right and had half a yard on Kelly who got close enough to him to stumble and get awarded the foul on halfway.

It curtailed a promising break for us, whereas the Vyner incident in their build up didn't. Either both are fouls of neither are, and Lloyd did very well out of both! He's added a Premier League level of "managing" situations.

Bournemouth had it in abundance, Cook hurling himself headlong on the touchline by a bemused Wells to win a foul, only to later rant and rave to the ref when he conceded a foul. The Prem gold standard of managing a ref.

For me he was one of standout players of the night. I saw that Woodgate described him as being a Rolls Royce, and I would not disagree.

Of all the players we sold he was the one that annoyed me the most, and certainly worth trying to hold onto for another couple of years. I think the £12M we got for him will look like chicken feed when compared to what Bournemouth might get for him on his next move.

23 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

For me he was one of standout players of the night. I saw that Woodgate described him as being a Rolls Royce, and I would not disagree.

Of all the players we sold he was the one that annoyed me the most, and certainly worth trying to hold onto for another couple of years. I think the £12M we got for him will look like chicken feed when compared to what Bournemouth might get for him on his next move.

We were offered £12m for a defender who hadn't even played the equivalent of a full season of championship games, frankly we can't turn down offers like that, all it would have taken would be Lloyd having an average season the year after or worse suffering a bad injury for his value to drop significantly, expect MA has negotiated a good sell on as well so if he does move for anything like a John Stones/Nathan Ake transfer then we'll be pretty well compensated through the clause.

37 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

He is the example of three things that we all witnessed if you watched his progress on the pitch at BS3;

1) THe academy proves it's worth time and time again and is one of the many great achievements by SL

2) He came through and was developed hugely by Lee Johnson who did this with several players

3) Mark Ashton again extracted good money from a EPL club for a 'potentially good player

I liked Kelly but he had numerous nightmares for us too as any very young player stepping up into the Champiosnhip will do. Interesting now to see how  the next group of youngsters come through and either make it at City or get sold on to enable the manager to mix the blend of youth and experience he wants.

I was interested to hear Nigel say he was pleased with Lansbury's brief appearance last night, i havent seen much to be positive about so far and feel he is always close to a yellow or red card

Give your public worshipping of Lee Johnson a rest.

Kelly was an outstanding prospect a long time before LJ arrived as Head Coach. 

There were personal reasons why LK could not go out on loan or be taken by a top club while still an Academy pupil. Thus, IMO, LJ actually slowed his development by  not playing him enough in City's first team. Blocking his passage with a Chelsea loanee! So Dasilva got the game time instead of Kelly. How many millions of £'s did that reduce the fee we got? And did it mean that LK went to Bournemouth instead of Liverpool?

@Hampshire Red

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

There were personal reasons why LK could not go out on loan or be taken by a top club while still an Academy pupil. Thus, IMO, LJ actually slowed his development by  not playing him enough in City's first team. Blocking his passage with a Chelsea loanee! So Dasilva got the game time instead of Kelly. How many millions of £'s did that reduce the fee we got? And did it mean that LK went to Bournemouth instead of Liverpool?

@Hampshire Red

Many prospects don’t fulfil their potential. Kelly has been coached well, whether you like it or not. He has even said so himself in the past 

13 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

@Hampshire Red

So you'd have relied on a 19 year old who'd played less than 900 minutes of first team football as you're only main option at LB? Also Lloyd played plenty of football in 18/19 he played over 2400 minutes which is 26 1/2 full 90's of the 34 appearances he made that season, flip side if we didn't give Jay as much game time that season he may not have joined the following summer, it probably helped convince him this was the place to join.

How many 19 year old defenders who haven't played in the top flight are being picked up for 8 figures? End of the day Lloyd was well managed by the club and received a very good fee for him.

10 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Dont think Bournemouth fans are that keen on him to be honest. Looking at their forum at the weekend, someone said " We played really well, and even Kelly looked Ok"

Well that just shows you that whoever made that ridiculous comment knows absolutely nothing about football and tells you all you need to know about some fan bases. 

There was talk of Liverpool coming in for him but I believe it was the lure of quicker first team opportunities which tilted him towards them 

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

@Hampshire Red

The reason why Dasilva was played over Kelly is because Kelly is not a natural left back. It has always been the intention of the academy (and presumably Bournemouth) to mould him into a CB. He was identified at a young age as having the outstanding physical attributes for a top modern defender (think Tyrone Mings) but needed to grow into his man strength. 

Obviously until he's strong and imposing enough to play CB they will try him as a fullback - fairly common with young defenders to do this - but at the time Dasilva was a more experienced and effective LB/LWB for what we needed at that time.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The reason why Dasilva was played over Kelly is because Kelly is not a natural left back. It has always been the intention of the academy (and presumably Bournemouth) to mould him into a CB. He was identified at a young age as having the outstanding physical attributes for a top modern defender (think Tyrone Mings) but needed to grow into his man strength. 

Obviously until he's strong and imposing enough to play CB they will try him as a fullback - fairly common with young defenders to do this - but at the time Dasilva was a more experienced and effective LB/LWB for what we needed at that time.

I agree on that physicality point, we might be seeing it with Ryley as well. 

When you consider that it makes you appreciate what a ‘finished product’ and outlier Caulker was when we had him. Absolute gun of a player at a young age.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

But ironically was exactly what happened to Lloyd Kelly when Bakinson broke on the counter down the right and had half a yard on Kelly who got close enough to him to stumble and get awarded the foul on halfway.

It curtailed a promising break for us, whereas the Vyner incident in their build up didn't. Either both are fouls of neither are, and Lloyd did very well out of both! He's added a Premier League level of "managing" situations.

Bournemouth had it in abundance, Cook hurling himself headlong on the touchline by a bemused Wells to win a foul, only to later rant and rave to the ref when he conceded a foul. The Prem gold standard of managing a ref.

Ref was abysmal....couldn’t wait to give them decisions.  Does my head in how easily bought they are.

3 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I agree on that physicality point, we might be seeing it with Ryley as well. 

When you consider that it makes you appreciate what a ‘finished product’ and outlier Caulker was when we had him. Absolute gun of a player at a young age.

Good point. I think that'll come into their thinking with Towler.

The reason I reference Tyrone Mings (and I've mentioned this a few times on here so apologies for repeating myself!) is because that's what happened with him. He was playing at a local level for Chippenham before Ipswich picked him up. He was identified mainly for his natural physical attributes - as they often do in the NBA - and thought they could work on the 'footballing' side. They were right and the rest is history. 

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lloyd actually played more minutes that season, 51 but still, more minutes

7 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I like Lloyd Kelly, he's a decent player and will only get better.  But never worth the money Bournemouth are said to have paid for him in my view.  Sometines offers for young players are just so silly that you can't say no even if you risk losing a rising star.

Time will tell. He is only 22 so I can see him going on to play for a good Premier League team and Bournemouth selling him for a lot more than they paid for him 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

True - I'm sure you get my point behind the reasoning though

Oh yeah was more just disproving the 'Lloyd was sidelined for Dasilva' line earlier mentioned. They literally shared the minutes which on the face of it is wise for a 19 year old who'd played less than 900 minutes of first team football and a 19 year old stepping up from league 1. For Lloyd 900 mins to 2400 was a good jump.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Time will tell. He is only 22 so I can see him going on to play for a good Premier League team and Bournemouth selling him for a lot more than they paid for him 

I'm absolutely sure he will. I rate both but would not be surprised if Kelly goes on to have a more successful career than Webster. Being naturally left sided is also a bit of an advantage.

Archived