IGNORED

Bristol Underground

Super

1 minute ago, Globe Trotter said:

Marvin was on points west last night saying it’ll cost around £4billion.

Points west then said ‘no detail of how this could be funded has been announced.’ Good luck with that then! 

He does come across as pretty clueless tbh.

If/when the finances become available  to fund such a huge project you can bet that whatever the price is now £4b you can quadruple that amount

If when tunnelling starts there is  an enormous amount of archeology underneath the City of Bristol just as there is in London in the Power tunnels  and the archaeologists would be  thrilled to examine whatever is found and they have the right to hold up any progress.

Could probably put another couple of years on the build time and that costs money.

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

P.S.It will never happen after a fortune is wasted on planning,consultations etc.

Aaaaaah but when it comes to spaffing council taxpayers money up the wall, we have fantastic experience of wasting tens of millions of money on the square root of naff all. Get Cheney in charge of it and we’ll be talking telephone numbers of money wasted. Again. 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

It's like we have an election looming in 2 months time. 

Too right.  In my job I deal with residents.  I've been doing it for 2 and a half years.  Out of 3 councillors in the ward I deal with I've only ever heard from one.  

However, in the last 3 weeks all 3 have suddenly sparked into life trying to give the impression to the voters they've actually done something for the previous 5 years.  

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Too right.  In my job I deal with residents.  I've been doing it for 2 and a half years.  Out of 3 councillors in the ward I deal with I've only ever heard from one.  

However, in the last 3 weeks all 3 have suddenly sparked into life trying to give the impression to the voters they've actually done something for the previous 5 years.  

This time last year it was fresh arena plans iirc 

It looks lovely on a flat piece of paper, but how are the trains going to get up the many hills 'round yer? No mention of the actual technology to create and run on the lines. London benefits from being a relatively flat area, no Totterdowns there.

Or as us old locals still say 'I'll believe it when I sees it.'

This could be slightly feasible if Bristol was somewhere else - i.e. a flat part of the country. As Bristol is basically a series of hills, the the tunnels would  be a long way underground when they reached the suburbs (With the exception of funicular trains etc they can’t go up steep hills so track gradients are slight). This means stations in the suburbs would be at a great depth, resulting in increased costs.

Another factor is the number of passengers who might use the system. Undergrounds such as London have high usage all day. In Bristol there would probably be high use during morning and evening rush hours but low usage during the rest of the day meaning the system could never be truly profitable 

If it was possible I reckon Bristol would need to embrace some form of Mass Passenger Transit train system that can travel overland like a tram, underground (like the Tube) where neccessary and probably overhead like a monorail in the congested zones. That might address some of the challenges of the great variation of height, plus the practical need to get as many people in and out of stations. If only IKB was still around, eh?

Clearly a lot of joined up thinking is demanded for the city's transport network, plus a shedload of cash from somewhere. Give me a prod when it occurs...

7 hours ago, Erithacus said:

If it was possible I reckon Bristol would need to embrace some form of Mass Passenger Transit train system that can travel overland like a tram, underground (like the Tube) where neccessary and probably overhead like a monorail in the congested zones. That might address some of the challenges of the great variation of height, plus the practical need to get as many people in and out of stations. If only IKB was still around, eh?

Clearly a lot of joined up thinking is demanded for the city's transport network, plus a shedload of cash from somewhere. Give me a prod when it occurs...

To quote a sensible g*shead I know when talking about their imaginary new stadium

`I`ll believe it when I`m sat in it`

20 hours ago, Globe Trotter said:

Marvin was on points west last night saying it’ll cost around £4billion.

Points west then said ‘no detail of how this could be funded has been announced.’ Good luck with that then! 

£4bn seems like a bargain....there will easily be another zero on the end of that.

10 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Something like this perhaps, just scaled up to bus size

A33F764A-6E57-46F9-B470-4AE6391EBA27.jpeg

I might be a lone voice, but I feel quite positive about this. 

Firstly, it's a great idea, and would do wonders for Bristol. Public transport that really works.

And if Marvin Rees is the person who wants to push for it then all power to him. Some of the posts on here read almost like 'it's a great idea, shame it came from Marvin Rees'.

Every great scheme like this starts with that kind of vision - but it needs a bit of belief and positivity or else its never going to happen.

Of course the election's not a co-incidence. The scheme itself isn't new (I remember it being touted a year or so ago) so it's not just been dreamt up yesterday. But isn't the whole point of elections and election campaigns to set out what you as a candidate will do for your constituency if you get elected? 

Expensive? Yes. Pipedream? Maybe - but I think it is the kind of scheme that government will be looking to as part of it's post pandemic rebuild. Capital, construction, schemes like this are high up the agenda to rebuild the economy. It will have competition, but it's got to be in with a shout.

Good luck with it Marvin. Always believe!

19 hours ago, Erithacus said:

It looks lovely on a flat piece of paper, but how are the trains going to get up the many hills 'round yer? No mention of the actual technology to create and run on the lines. London benefits from being a relatively flat area, no Totterdowns there.

Or as us old locals still say 'I'll believe it when I sees it.'

Aye, come and dig me up when it happens so I can have a look.

Archived