IGNORED

Nigel Pearson press conference | Bristol City v Stoke City

Unan

16 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

00:58; has first dig at GMG "You know the answer to the question, but you asked it anyway..."

And fair play to GMG for asking questions about Simpson.

If he knew the answer why ask? I can’t stand journos at the best of times let alone ones that either state or ask bloody stupid things ! ...:yawn:

3 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

If he knew the answer why ask? I can’t stand journos at the best of times let alone ones that either state or ask bloody stupid things ! ...:yawn:

He might know the answer, but the point is to inform the listener. So if GMG knows the answer but the wider listening population doesn't then there is a point to asking the Manager about it. But as GMG has been on the naughty step since day one, maybe he needs to steer clear of this type of 'question'.

7 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

What a manager we've got here. We are so lucky

Couldn't agree more!

Let just hope that behind the scenes discussions have already taken place with our Nige, Ashton, Steve and the boy wonder on keeping him long term, before anyone else comes sniffing.

It's good that Pearson is at least addressing the Simpson question - admittedly in quite abstract terms but I can understand that. I still think it would have been sensible for the club to make a public statement acknowledging the concerns and affirming their commitment to challenging domestic violence at the time of the signing. 

I don't think it would even have needed to be a negative statement. If Pearson has been talking to people who've been supporting Simpson and that means that Simpson is indeed getting guidance and support then it could easily have been "we're committed to making sure people can do better and change their behaviour" rather than "we're defending someone who has done something terrible". 

Best interview from him yet (& they’ve all been good)....

Love it when he talks about players we sign, not having to be big names but having to have “desire, hunger and thirst”.

The comment also about “us having to deliver on the pitch for our supporters”

The biggest indication that he will be here next season - could be exciting times ?

3 hours ago, Banned User said:

Edited 1 hour ago by

I would not say that he is another Pat Lam but he is, permanently I hope, City's version. 

Sports team management is a wide mixture of strengths and weaknesses. The art of it is to make the best use of the strengths and improve the weaknesses. It is more about managing people than being tactically brilliant. Those who are new to it will struggle to pull it all together as we have seen to varying degrees in the last four/five years.

Should Nigel Pearson decide to stay, we will have someone who's made mistakes in the past and will continue so to do as none of us are perfect. But he'll make many fewer than those who have preceded him.

And he hasn't been a manager at high levels for twenty years without being good at it. IMO, the Lansdown era has finally found the round pin for the round management hole.

I really am looking forward to the next three or four seasons. Hoping I last longer!

59 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Best interview from him yet (& they’ve all been good)....

Love it when he talks about players we sign, not having to be big names but having to have “desire, hunger and thirst”.

The comment also about “us having to deliver on the pitch for our supporters”

The biggest indication that he will be here next season - could be exciting times ?

Spot on LB, having had to endure LJ speak for so long it is so refreshing to hear NP speak. Each interview reinforces how, from his experience, he is clear about what is needed to be successful and he never appears to have an ego that needs feeding. 
Really enjoy listening to him and excited by the prospect of him implementing his approaches. 

Well you only have to hear the man speak to realise that he hasn’t come here to manage some mid-table team. He understands our “unique” story and you can see he is genuinely excited to have been given the opportunity to become a legend here by achieving promotion to the Prem.

We are certainly going on a ride over the next 18 months or so and for sure he will get the best out of each individual player & the team collectively.

The final piece of the puzzle is how well we recruit - who, where from, what level, how much etc. I’m not sure he is too hung up on big name players & instead will be seeking value for money.

However I think the difference might be for the next few years we won’t necessarily be selling our best players if he wants them to stay. For example - he already knows he has the best goalie in the Championship.... Also if you are Liam Walsh for example - surely you now want to stay?!?

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

my god he s boring to listen to. 

Have you been on the calvados?

NP is thoughtful and articulate, with few if any, buzz words. Plus he’s here to get a winning team in the pitch and not do Klopp-esque comedy routines at the press conference. 

Perhaps we should focus on the content rather than the tone.....

I like that his answers are delivered slowly but carefully thought out. They’re not PR sound bites or stock answers but they are confident and assured and carry a strong statement that says he is here to achieve. A quiet confidence without making promises other than standards need to be much higher all round. There will be no room for slackers or big egos I think. 

11 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Interesting that he’s outlined his type of player we need. No more promising player but instead ones that can do the job and have the know how. What players out there are realistic that fit this bill that aren’t over the hill?

Challenge for me is getting players young enough who are good enough to play now, but will also grow with us.

I do like the statement that it’s not about marquee players etc:

Let me just clarify one thing about attracting players, it’s not about marquee players it’s about creating a squad that not only has the ability to deliver promotion to the Premier League but has a desire and thirst for success

It wouldn’t surprise me if we see a few signings that look very unfashionable on paper, but then find out they were just what we needed.

Absolutely superb. So measured, oozes confidence, a genius. ... which comes at a risk as most geniuses border on being nutcases, but a risk more than worth taking. 

This is the man who should have followed Cotts. 

Not just a breath of fresh air, a much-needed bloody hurricane to blow away all the crap of the last 5 years. 

Building a team of ‘winners’. Thank the lord, we have finally got a man that realises this is the key attribute of a successful team....not fooking ‘good humans’. 

I've listened to it twice and read through Gregor's manuscript of it...I'm pretty uninspired.

Pearson rambles and goes around the houses just as much as certain other managers have in the past. He uses a more straightforward vocabulary, but he's just as guilty of answering the question he wants to answer rather than the one he's asked. I guess I prefer this style of rambling to Johnson's Brent-like speak, but it's still rambling.

I thought Pearson was occasionally pretty condescending towards Gregor, a guy who is doing his job and asking some decent questions.

To give him the benefit of the doubt I'll assume he just has a reasonable level of contempt for press conferences, and would rather be coaching or working than doing them. If that's the case then fine but I really don't see why everyone is so elated over a press conference like this?

Archived