IGNORED

Realistically if Pearson stays

onlyotib

How much transfer kitty would he need to make us a top 6 side. Clearly there are a lot of players ooc and a lot that clearly are not good enough at this level. However much he gets to spend I don’t think it will be enough and given the current financial climate we live in I don’t think we can afford it anyway with ffp? It’s all very well saying we have Steve but we have to be realistic

The only thing giving me the slightest glimmer of hope from this car crash of a season is that given the right players, NP can produce an acceptable team.

I am really hoping that he has got some serious contacts in the game which will give us access to some quality players to bring in.

I think that if he has his chosen players, he will be able to work with them and we should be ok.

10+ OOC (with no signs on new contracts thankfully) and several others clearly not good enough, how long will it take to replace potentialy up to 14/15 players of a standard good enough for Pearson. That and working with Ashton to get them ... will potentially take years and a small fortune ... it’s a real mess 

7 minutes ago, Gilli74 said:

10+ OOC (with no signs on new contracts thankfully) and several others clearly not good enough, how long will it take to replace potentialy up to 14/15 players of a standard good enough for Pearson. That and working with Ashton to get them ... will potentially take years and a small fortune ... it’s a real mess 

I agree. The thing is a man with his experience and calibre would probably be looking at players around £8+ million mark just for 1 player who would be good enough at this level and I just can’t imagine us spending that on 4 or 5 players worthy of a top 6 push. Like you said it’s going to be a long and frustrating time to sort this mess out

We have got the opportunity to free up some serious money this summer with the OOC players leaving. 

If (and it is a big if) Nige is allowed to recruit what he wants then my biggest hope is that we can be competitive, difficult to beat and have a group of players who are playing for the shirt and pulling in the same direction.

We haven't had a style or identity for over 3 years since Bobby was playing up top, and that style didn't last very long either!

I wouldn't even care if we went a bit more direct, just as long as there is some passion and intensity to our play.

37 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

I agree. The thing is a man with his experience and calibre would probably be looking at players around £8+ million mark just for 1 player who would be good enough at this level and I just can’t imagine us spending that on 4 or 5 players worthy of a top 6 push. Like you said it’s going to be a long and frustrating time to sort this mess out

Pearson himself said 4-6 windows so 2-3 seasons before he has the squad he wants.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Pearson himself said 4-6 windows so 2-3 seasons before he has the squad he wants.

But when do you start to believe this. Iv been saying “maybe next year” for the last 30 years. I understand it’s not going to happen overnight and we do have some good young players with room for improvement like massengo and seymenyo etc

15 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s not a 1 summer fix, there will be players in contract he won’t want but we can’t budge so we can’t just chuck money at it this summer to try and give him the squad he wants 

Definitely not, the likes of cod, nagy, wells and palmer will be here for a while, they signed their contracts just at the right time, they will all be looking at significant reductions in pay if someone is interested in them,, and i really dont see anyone wanting to pay fees for them for another year or 2.

I'm beginning to think it will be a complete rebuild in the summer, and that includes the management as I don't think Pearson will stick around. 

If he does stay, then we may get 2 or 3 transfers of a few million each, and the rest being free's and/or loans.

This group of players have downed tools, yet again, and some may find the type of clubs that want them won't be as high up in the food chain as they think they will be.

1 minute ago, onlyotib said:

But when do you start to believe this. Iv been saying “maybe next year” for the last 30 years. I understand it’s not going to happen overnight and we do have some good young players with room for improvement like massengo and seymenyo etc

You can either be patient (if you can advise how we turn the current shambles into a promotion chasing squad in 1-2 windows I’m all ears) or be disappointed every season until a Manager is able to build the right squad.

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Definitely not, the likes of cod, nagy, wells and palmer will be here for a while, they signed their contracts just at the right time, they will all be looking at significant reductions in pay if someone is interested in them,, and i really dont see anyone wanting to pay fees for them for another year or 2.

I'm happy to keep Wells tbh, notice his position at the time when he started his run for his goal, central. His finish was also good from a position where he could get slid in behind defences if allowed to play off the shoulder of the last man. I'm hoping Nahki moved central is something we'll see next summer once we bolster our numbers out wide.

There will be plenty of OOC players out there This summer. Key thing is recruitment getting it right guided by hopefully Pearson and maybe Steve Walsh if he brings him in.

if the right type of player is brought in, Pearson can mould the team to be competitive. 
I wonder if we would do a few loan with option to buy deals if promoted so we can walk away if it doesn’t work out or financially not viable by end of loan

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

To be fair COD, Nagy, Wells and Palmer are not bad players. I appreciate that we haven't seen great things from them but they all have ability. We don't have a solid defensive base to build from which creates pressure and uncertainty throughout the team.

If Nige can bring in 2 or 3 experienced and robust defenders then that will be a great start.

The obsession with signing young up and coming players has to stop and he needs to recruit who he wants to without external pressure from the board.

53 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Firstly we need a solid enough defence so we don't let in such soft goals.

We don't have to pay Kalas like prices for good defenders.

I do agree but we also need better midfielder and strikers which let’s face it are not going to be cheap at a top 6 standard. We don’t have a leader, a captain, players that constantly do the unnoticed dirty work and a regular match winner

NP will have loads of contacts and know exactly who to speak to but firstly he needs that chat with SL to know exactly the strategy and budget 

I can see a minimum of 8-9 players being brought in over the summer with a mix of experience, loans from the Prem and maybe one or two from abroad 

The big clear out started today if NPs post match comments are anything to go by and I for one can’t wait to see what happens over the next 3-4 months 

46 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

I think you start to believe it when somebody comes along with a realistic appraisal of where we are - rather than constantly pushing the "we continue to move forward and closer to our targets" type spiel we've been fed. 

How has it come to this? Watching football at any level within the Football league i haven't seen a side with less drive, skill or movement off the ball.

Why have we attracted so many players that seem to be so out of their depth without skill or guts?

The Scary thing is we seem to create no goal scoring chances at all, apart from charging down keepers or scoring direct from a corner whenever do we look like scoring a goal?

Thank **** my grandson's u9s is up and running, although i can't watch at the moment it's a 1000 times more appealing to get back to that than going back to the Gate.

46 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

How has it come to this? Watching football at any level within the Football league i haven't seen a side with less drive, skill or movement off the ball.

Why have we attracted so many players that seem to be so out of their depth without skill or guts?

The Scary thing is we seem to create no goal scoring chances at all, apart from charging down keepers or scoring direct from a corner whenever do we look like scoring a goal?

Thank **** my grandson's u9s is up and running, although i can't watch at the moment it's a 1000 times more appealing to get back to that than going back to the Gate.

Simple - you make a numptie like Ashton In charge of recruitment and hand him all the power he needs to facilitate the selling of our best players. A strategy that is doomed to failure. SLs mistake and he is not keen to admit defeat on this front.

Ashton has been given too much power IMO. Look at the signings and no. of failures ratio. I can’t be assed to list them all but someone might have a list already created. It is a long list.

9 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Simple - you make a numptie like Ashton In charge of recruitment and hand him all the power he needs to facilitate the selling of our best players. A strategy that is doomed to failure. SLs mistake and he is not keen to admit defeat on this front.

Ashton has been given too much power IMO. Look at the signings and no. of failures ratio. I can’t be assed to list them all but someone might have a list already created. It is a long list.

Cough cough 

AAD97703-ACA7-453D-B7B9-9A7E794954F7.jpeg

I’ve always liked, supported and been profoundly grateful for SL, but I wouldn’t place much reliance on him now. It seems to me that in recent months his head has moved on. When billionaire owners start ‘looking for additional investment’ it means that they’ve crossed the line that leads to sale and a relinquish of control. My guess is that having spent the last year exiled on Guernsey with no live football with fans, he’s surprised to realise that he’s not missed it as much as he assumed he would. Does he need the hassle and grief that comes with the responsibility of ownership? He has a legacy and it’s a decent one. We will always remember and revere what he’s done. He’s a genuine fan but he can still watch every game home and away in luxury without being the owner. Jon, meanwhile, could have done little more recently to show that he has no measurable interest in the club when compared to a life developing property in the Caribbean. And who can blame SL  or resent his desire for a quieter life. Frankly, he owes us nothing. The point is that while a Championship club sells better than a League 1 outfit, owners looking to sell are not famous for pumping tens of millions into player acquisitions as they prepare to sell. At best it works, whereupon your successor gets the credit. My guess is that any expenditure will be modest at best, with Covid as a smokescreen, as Steve takes his last big commercial gamble- can  he clear his book before it goes spectacularly rats on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, Taz said:

I'm beginning to think it will be a complete rebuild in the summer, and that includes the management as I don't think Pearson will stick around. 

If he does stay, then we may get 2 or 3 transfers of a few million each, and the rest being free's and/or loans.

This group of players have downed tools, yet again, and some may find the type of clubs that want them won't be as high up in the food chain as they think they will be.

There are very few players at BCFC who will be playing mid-table Championship (or above) football a year or two from now. The sooner they realise that, the sooner they can reign in their personal spending and plan their futures as pub landlords etc. 

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I'm happy to keep Wells tbh, notice his position at the time when he started his run for his goal, central. His finish was also good from a position where he could get slid in behind defences if allowed to play off the shoulder of the last man. I'm hoping Nahki moved central is something we'll see next summer once we bolster our numbers out wide.

Pearson loves utilising a target man to switch it up, just don't see it happening. 

Id flog Nakhi off ASAP to get him off the wage bill, take a risk get Yates off Blackpool using Moore as make weight if we want a like for like on a quarter of the wages. 

5 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Pearson loves utilising a target man to switch it up, just don't see it happening. 

Id flog Nakhi off ASAP to get him off the wage bill, take a risk get Yates off Blackpool using Moore as make weight if we want a like for like on a quarter of the wages. 

Agreed. Holding on to Wells is like holding shares that have plummeted because you just don't want to face the truth. 

He's a pretty useless team player in the Championship. 

6 hours ago, onlyotib said:

The financial reality has changed at this level, @Davefevs posted elsewhere that as many as 10 clubs might be under an embargo atm.

That as one of the better run clubs could give us an advantage, not least with so many out of contract across this League- bargains to be had. Think smart, outside the box a bit- Pearson himself said as much in an Interview.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The financial reality has changed at this level, @Davefevs posted elsewhere that as many as 10 clubs might be under an embargo atm.

That as one of the better run clubs could give us an advantage, not least with so many out of contract across this League- bargains to be had. Think smart, outside the box a bit- Pearson himself said as much in an Interview.

We don’t why they are under embargo, just yet.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We don’t why they are under embargo, just yet.

Sounds like at least 4 are/were late filling accounts. Company House gave clubs a grace period, the EFL hadn't or couldn't change the rules. 10 went into embargo, one out already another 3 sound likely to be out soon. None of the clubs are saying much so not sure if they are all in the same boat, or it's a little more serious and long term.

Archived