IGNORED

Tactics

cidered abroad

Its a reasonable assumption that many of our OTIB members may not have been born in 1950 to 1960.

Back in those dark post war days, England considered themselves as World leaders in football. The game in Britain was, in general, a long ball game. Get it forward as quickly ad possible. The Wolves team was a very good example. Some like Spurs tried shorter passing. In Bristol, City were like Spurs and Rovers were like Wolves.

Only football on TV was FA CUP Final. FA Amateur Cup Final and the friendly international that England played in November. That was how those few with a TV in 1953 saw Hungary humiliating England with fast inter passing on the floor against the long ball, physical way of England. Hungary wore slippers compared with the massive "mining boots" of England

Then the European Champions Cup started, without English clubs.

We saw Real Madrid with a style similar to Hungary winning the first five years. 

Now to the point of this thread. In the sixth final, Real were losing 2-3 to Benfica with ten minutes to go. The team with Di Stefano and Puskas were losing!

Amazingly, their attempt to come back saw a total change in tactics. Out went the intricate short passing and full backs and wingers long balling in to the penalty area in the hope of getting lucky.

So, Bristol City players, if it was good enough for Real to go up and under, why the hell were you trying to play keep ball in the last five minutes with a 50 yard back pass?

Get Real for pity's sake!!!!

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

You want us to play long ball into a front line where the average height is about 5’11 if not shorter?

Sorry @Lrrr, but you don't understand the meaning of the post.

It is about going toward the opposition goal when you are losing with THREE minutes to go. By any method that keeps the ball in or near opponents goal.

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

You want us to play long ball into a front line where the average height is about 5’11 if not shorter?

Direct doesn't necessarily mean "high", it can be "long" i.e. balls over the top to run onto. What the poster is trying to say that going backwards 40 yards didn't only "not help us" it "finished" us. It was brain dead by Tommy Rowe who I would mark down as one of the few "professionals", attitude wise, in our squad let's be honest about it.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Direct doesn't necessarily mean "high", it can be "long" i.e. balls over the top to run onto. What the poster is trying to say that going backwards 40 yards didn't only "not help us" it "finished" us. It was brain dead by Tommy Rowe who I would mark down as one of the few "professionals", attitude wise, in our squad let's be honest about it.

You're not going to get space in behind in the last 5 minutes or so though as the opposition defensive line will have dropped deep to hold on, so long balls into the penalty area would very likely be aerial duels, so unless you're taking a play from LJ's book in sending a CB forward to act as a target man then its more than likely not the right approach. I'm in no way saying what we did was the right thing either, just to emphasise. But if anyone has watched u23's then they'd know Conway/Pearson (and we know from watching 1st team football) and Wells aren't the players to compete for aerial duels. 

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Sorry @Lrrr, but you don't understand the meaning of the post.

It is about going toward the opposition goal when you are losing with THREE minutes to go. By any method that keeps the ball in or near opponents goal.

As said above I'm not saying we were doing the right thing but playing long balls to the box with the front 3 we had, you're giving Stoke's CB's an easy chance to get good defensive headed clearances in, then it just becomes reset and try it again.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How tall were Godden and Walker?

Different situation, they benefitted with our line was higher and space in behind, in terms of aerial duels Kalas won 10/11 aerial duels and Mariappa 9/11. The post I quoted is talking last 3 minutes when their defensive line is camped back and minimal space behind. Pearson, Conway, Wells aren't the players you  look to compete for aerial duels, your best hope is picking up 2nd balls, but such is the height difference the defenders can probably get good distance.

40 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Different situation, they benefitted with our line was higher and space in behind, in terms of aerial duels Kalas won 10/11 aerial duels and Mariappa 9/11. The post I quoted is talking last 3 minutes when their defensive line is camped back and minimal space behind. Pearson, Conway, Wells aren't the players you  look to compete for aerial duels, your best hope is picking up 2nd balls, but such is the height difference the defenders can probably get good distance.

Which is kinda what we did for 15 mins second half.  We got up the pitch and nicked loose balls.

Agree with rest of post, I was being a bit facetious.

For £1m we could’ve had Walker in the summer, sold Diedhiou for say £2m, saved ourselves £500k on wages (difference between the two)....and had longevity / future value too.  6g / 2a from equivalent of 16 games.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Forget the long ball, lets just try and pass forwards from time to time.

I lost count how many times our players received the ball facing up the field with only 1 marker. Each time we trap the ball and turn to face our own goal. The defender can then get tight as he has no chance of getting beat and back to the goalkeeper it goes.

I have lost count of the numbers of times I have said this BUT we have no movement off the ball and few players really want the ball.

The sooner this season ends the better. Then we can all see what Ashton and SL want to do and make our decision on our season ticket.

Until SL makes a decision on NP he will have little authority and no chance to starts talking to potential new signings.

Please decide one way or the other SL

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I lost count how many times our players received the ball facing up the field with only 1 marker. Each time we trap the ball and turn to face our own goal. The defender can then get tight as he has no chance of getting beat and back to the goalkeeper it goes.

I have lost count of the numbers of times I have said this BUT we have no movement off the ball and few players really want the ball.

The sooner this season ends the better. Then we can all see what Ashton and SL want to do and make our decision on our season ticket.

Until SL makes a decision on NP he will have little authority and no chance to starts talking to potential new signings.

Thats just as I see it CC. Our first thought is backwards, always. Getting it forward doesnt have to mean hoofball. Anyone who saw Tinnion play will tell you it IS possible to play it 40 yards forward to your own player. Our players seem to accept protecting the score even when we are losing.

8 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Odd isn’t it?

The Man City match tonight. At the start of the second half there were over 100 passes from their own kick off without the opposition touching the ball. Around 80% were sideways or backwards. Ended in a German free kick about 10 yards from where they started. That was 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Falling out of love for football? Watching that ..yes...and they’re the masters with the world’s best talent.

We’ve got Tommy Rowe. 

18 hours ago, RedRock said:

Odd isn’t it?

The Man City match tonight. At the start of the second half there were over 100 passes from their own kick off without the opposition touching the ball. Around 80% were sideways or backwards. Ended in a German free kick about 10 yards from where they started. That was 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Falling out of love for football? Watching that ..yes...and they’re the masters with the world’s best talent.

We’ve got Tommy Rowe. 

Nail on the head RR. I find myself looking at my phone during games because I am bored.

Bored with seeing players pass 10 yards and get it back several times from the same player

Bored with passes that do nothing other than allow the opposition to pen you into your half far better

Bored with seeing players make aimless sideways passes until a long hoof is the only option

Bored with diving

Bored with kicking the ball away at every opportunity and generally wasting time

Bored with fake injuries and 93rd minute substitutions

They say how great it is that foreign coaches have improved our game so much. Technically they may be right but as a spectacle and as entertainment it is going down hill fast.

Archived