IGNORED

Brian Clough started at Nottm Forest in January 1975 ....

Bristol Oil Services

.... they were 13th in the old Second Division. They finished 16th that season. 

Just sayin, like.

It was another full season before Peter Taylor joined him, in the summer of 1976. Then they were promoted that following season. Clough didn't/couldn't do it by himself. 

Cloughie was pretty ordinary/shite by himself, in fact. A big-mouth, a show-off, a piss-artist, but no miracle-worker. Not by himself.

Just sayin ....

These things take time. And trusted right-hand-men. Even for "miracle workers" like Brian Clough. Who was no miracle-worker by himself (by himself being more of a big-mouth, show-off and piss-artist).

Just sayin, like ....

These things take: 1. Time. 2. Trusted right-hand-men. And 3. The opportunity to sign your own players. Clough wasn't the talent spotter, Peter Taylor was. By himself, Cloughie signed some proper crud.

The idea that one bloke can parachute in and immediately motivate players and transform a team with some Henry V/Agincourt like oratory and a bit of clenched-fist tub-thumping is a seductive one. But Brian Clough couldn't do it. Not at Nottm Forest. 

That's all I'm sayin. If you know what I'm sayin, like.

Alec Ferguson could, though. But that's another story .......

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just sayin, like.

It was another full season before Peter Taylor joined him, in the summer of 1976. Then they were promoted that following season. Clough didn't/couldn't do it by himself. 

Cloughie was pretty ordinary/shite by himself, in fact. A big-mouth, a show-off, a piss-artist, but no miracle-worker. Not by himself.

Just sayin ....

These things take time. And trusted right-hand-men. Even for "miracle workers" like Brian Clough. Who was no miracle-worker by himself (by himself being more of a big-mouth, show-off and piss-artist).

Just sayin, like ....

These things take: 1. Time. 2. Trusted right-hand-men. And 3. The opportunity to sign your own players. Clough wasn't the talent spotter, Peter Taylor was. By himself, Cloughie signed some proper crud.

The idea that one bloke can parachute in and immediately motivate players and transform a team with some Henry V/Agincourt like oratory and a bit of clenched-fist tub-thumping is a seductive one. But Brian Clough couldn't do it. Not at Nottm Forest. 

Which is possibly why any announcement is on hold if we are going NP. There are other staff he will obviously want on board, it's a team effort which seems to be what you are alluding to?

Our two most successful managers in recent history also had a bit of a rubbish start as well - Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill.

Hughton at Forest - crap start and gradually got better. 

It's not just the playing staff that are crap, we have to rebuild behind the scenes as well. It's not going to be an overnight turnaround, and changing manager now, is just going to put us on the backfoot again.

Anybody who thinks otherwise, is to be quite frank, deluded. As deluded as the blue side.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Assume you mean Alex Ferguson - who was nearly sacked in early 1990 (one story being that a certain Mark Robins saved Fergie's job by scoring the goal that kept Utd in the FA Cup).  It took even Fergie a long time to start winning titles.

23 minutes ago, red panda said:

Assume you mean Alex Ferguson - who was nearly sacked in early 1990 (one story being that a certain Mark Robins saved Fergie's job by scoring the goal that kept Utd in the FA Cup).  It took even Fergie a long time to start winning titles.

.....but not to win games. They were 21st when he started, and finished 11th that season. And 2nd the next season. 

People aren't upset because Nige int winning titles, they're fretting because he can't win a bloody game.

Fergie's spell before he finally delivered the title was interesting, all over the place from 2nd to 13th to 2nd again.

Point is, what Nige is doing with the fag end of this dud season might be telling us something vital or instructive, or it might not. But we have no way of knowing.

SL won't have the foggiest whether it's the right idea either. He'll just have to see the whites of Nige's eyes, feel the firmness/limpness of his handshake (or fist/elbow pump) and just go with his Guernsey gut feeling. And make sure he gets the right people around him.

I said this, like to my brother yesterday like.

Pearson is either off.

or Pearson needs time to get his backroom team in agreement to come together. And. Big Steve needs to sign it off. 

Not small decisions. multi-million pound decisions. especially if big Nige doesn't take it on and we're relegated.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Our two most successful managers in recent history also had a bit of a rubbish start as well - Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill.

It's not just the playing staff that are crap, we have to rebuild behind the scenes as well. It's not going to be an overnight turnaround, and changing manager now, is just going to put us on the backfoot again.

Anybody who thinks otherwise, is to be quite frank, deluded. As deluded as the blue side.

And it took Alan Dicks 5 years to get us out of the bottom half of (what is now) the Championship.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

After just 12 months in post, "Dicks must go" was frequently heard at the Gate.

7 hours ago, Taz said:

Did Hughton have a crap start at Forest? Three wins, three draws and one defeat in his first seven games wasn’t it? That was in his first month or so in charge - not sure I’d call that a ‘crap start’ but he certainly improved them further after that ...

16 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just sayin, like.

Just sayin ....

Just sayin, like ....

I was laughing like and gave you a laugh not in disrespect tho. Laughing and agreeing just to be clear. Taylor was much underrated at the time.

Archived