Jump to content
IGNORED

Jamie Patterson


Recommended Posts

It's not really a case of if he's anyone's cup of tea...it's more the case that he simply isn't consistent enough.  There's a player in there, but he just doesn't do it on a regular enough basis.  Which seems to be a trait that has blighted his career so far.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i read a few championship clubs are after jamie. what on earth is this club doing. i know he is not everyones cup of tea. it will cost us so much to replace someone with his ability. come on steve make some decisions. 

Cost us so much to replace someone with his ability? Really?

He shows this ability about once every 30 games. 

I think we probably have already replaced him with someone with arguably better ability in Semenyo.

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

It's not really a case of if he's anyone's cup of tea...it's more the case that he simply isn't consistent enough.  There's a player in there, but he just doesn't do it on a regular enough basis.  Which seems to be a trait that has blighted his career so far.

Spot on. 

Similar to COD just fails to perform on a consistent basis and turns up once or twice a season to frustrate the hell out of you when you see there is some talent there.

I have had enough of thinking “perhaps he will come good this season”. Along with everything else that is tainted by Johnson and Ashton he needs to go.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is going to be a very interesting summer.  And one of the things that interests me is what level of clubs will be in for our our of contract players. And then seeing how they do for those clubs.

Pato can be a very good player at this level imo. I am happy for him to leave though as I think we struggle to get the best out of him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Cost us so much to replace someone with his ability? Really?

He shows this ability about once every 30 games. 

I think we probably have already replaced him with someone with arguably better ability in Semenyo.

Agreed, rather see our youngsters in midfield than players like Pato. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of players I suspect will be replaced with players out of contract at other clubs.

Others have said it but we've rarely found a way to get the best out of Paterson for more than a few games at a time. At his best, he is a superb player. But I think the question of whether to keep him is tied in with all these other questions about who the manager will be and how we'll play next season. At the moment I don't see him as a consistent starter but maybe, if we appoint Pearson or another manager, they'll feel differently. At the moment my instinct is, if he is not going to be a starter, freeing up his wage to get someone who better fits a new manager's approach might be the way to go. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good player, probably another victim of our injury curse / medical mispractice. Needs movement in front of him like a Reid or Wiemann rather than Dave, and a midfield that can cover him whilst he tries to be creative.

Would be sad to see him go, but wouldn’t mind another season in an NP team if he can get himself fit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Super said:

I would keep him on a short contract. 

Personally I sort of think that is the worst of all worlds. At the moment, we're stuck in a rut and need to plan for the future. I think we need to either plan around senior players or plan for a future without them. A short term contract gives Paterson and us more uncertainty, blocks us from being able to plan around Paterson and blocks us from being able to move on.

I think it really important, with every senior player out of contract, that we either commit to keeping them or we commit to not keeping them. But, like so many other things at the club, a decision needs to be made rather than kicked down the road. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

This is going to be a very interesting summer.  And one of the things that interests me is what level of clubs will be in for our our of contract players. And then seeing how they do for those clubs.

Pato can be a very good player at this level imo. I am happy for him to leave though as I think we struggle to get the best out of him.

He struggles to get the best out of himself!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Personally I sort of think that is the worst of all worlds. At the moment, we're stuck in a rut and need to plan for the future. I think we need to either plan around senior players or plan for a future without them. A short term contract gives Paterson and us more uncertainty, blocks us from being able to plan around Paterson and blocks us from being able to move on.

I think it really important, with every senior player out of contract, that we either commit to keeping them or we commit to not keeping them. But, like so many other things at the club, a decision needs to be made rather than kicked down the road. 

Fair points mate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every team needs a creative flair player like Pato, but can we carry two inconsistent ones in him and Palmer? If I had the choice it would be Paterson for me as I think he’s contributed more but the contract situation will dictate it’s going to be the other way around

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scored some good goals for us. Understand the form criticisms and it's something we need to fix, if NP stays I trust he'll make the right call.

If JP is leaving I hope he takes O'Dowda with him. Both players have never really consistently clicked here. Though, when we were flying at times, it felt like JP was more a part of the team! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too inconsistent for me, seemed to up his game when he came back from Derby on loan, but drifts in and out (more often than not) and doesn't influence enough games for his talent. Whether the set up is wrong, another 'club in the bag' so to speak, and he's not utilised to his best potential? Having been out injured, have we missed him in midfield?  Maybe.

Going forward, we need players who are going to be on the money for the majority if not all of the 46+ games of the season, not pick n choose when they 'turn it on'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am always in two minds about Paterson.

He does hit purple patches and then has long periods out of form.

The trouble is that he is one of the few players we have that can create a goal out of nothing, and probably the best one we have for that. That's invaluable when you are under the cosh as we so often are. He has won us many points on his own over the years. But then too many games where he may as well not be there.

I won't be upset if he stays or goes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BanburyRed said:

Too inconsistent for me, seemed to up his game when he came back from Derby on loan, but drifts in and out (more often than not) and doesn't influence enough games for his talent. Whether the set up is wrong, another 'club in the bag' so to speak, and he's not utilised to his best potential? Having been out injured, have we missed him in midfield?  Maybe.

Going forward, we need players who are going to be on the money for the majority if not all of the 46+ games of the season, not pick n choose when they 'turn it on'.

The inconsistent label is interesting as you can apply that to pretty much all the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Super said:

The inconsistent label is interesting as you can apply that to pretty much all the team.

Yep, I'd agree with that.  Too many have coasted towards the end of the season.  Bentley has been the most consistent you would say, followed by Kalas (possibly), then who..? Injuries certainly haven't helped but that isn't something to hide behind as all teams have them, ours just seem to have been magnified by an inept medical team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pato is 29. He has probably had his best years with us. He would be a squad player at most Championship sides. Been an ok player for City over the years, but I think time to move him on, out with the old and in with the new

Edited by 2015
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I am always in two minds about Paterson.

He does hit purple patches and then has long periods out of form.

The trouble is that he is one of the few players we have that can create a goal out of nothing, and probably the best one we have for that. That's invaluable when you are under the cosh as we so often are. He has won us many points on his own over the years. But then too many games where he may as well not be there.

I won't be upset if he stays or goes.

Which is exactly why he should go 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I am always in two minds about Paterson.

He does hit purple patches and then has long periods out of form.

The trouble is that he is one of the few players we have that can create a goal out of nothing, and probably the best one we have for that. That's invaluable when you are under the cosh as we so often are. He has won us many points on his own over the years. But then too many games where he may as well not be there.

I won't be upset if he stays or goes.

Agree with a lot of this.

I think he’ll go & overall that probably is for the best, but am not surprised at all there is Championship interest in him.

I look at our midfield options & can think of 2 others with their little fan clubs (one of whom has played a fair bit at Championship level & consistently contributes far less & the other has no track record at all, yet apparently is another Lionel Messi). For me he’s a far better option than either.
Paterson is two footed, technically excellent, as likely a scorer as our midfield has & ahead of most re assists.

He’s also lightweight & inconsistent, though if he wasn’t the latter, we would never have signed him, he’d be playing for someone far better.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably our best technical player.

29 (30 in December).

Decision should be on:

  • how does NP want to play next season
  • is Pato considered better than what else he has (Pato v Palmer for example - could he move Palmer on?)
  • has he someone else in mind that is an upgrade

You will find a mix of opinions above.  Pros and cons.

Despite perceived inconsistency, his actual output (goals and assists) is better than any other midfielder we currently have.

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...