IGNORED

Baker

daored

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He made 79 appearances in 5 seasons for Villa.

It was actually 80 appearances in 5 seasons (??) but that’s still quite a lot isn’t it ... an average of 16 games per season in arguably the best division in the world - and in two of those seasons he made 26 then 30 appearances, in the premier league - not too shabby

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It was actually 80 appearances in 5 seasons (??) but that’s still quite a lot isn’t it ... an average of 16 games per season  

The 5 seasons in question are 2010/11 - 2014/15 incl.

Baker's PL apps., according to wiki: 4,8,26,30 &11.

Due to your insistence above that I'd given a wrong total I've had a recount.

I still make the total 79 - the difference of 1 game is not important except you've chosen to correct me.

Anyway, if you think an average of 16 appearances per season over 5 years is impressive then you're more easily impressed than me.

No record of how many of these 79 games he came off early in either, but with Baker's record at City of failing to complete the match in 1 in 4 of his starts we can safely assume it was unlikely to be an insignificant number.

Nathan Baker and Nahki Wells are two players that I got really enthused about signing for us, then felt annoyed that they haven't justified the money spent on fee and wages.

Not quite in the same catfish league as Bridges and Stewart, mind!

On 03/05/2021 at 10:15, Taz said:

A lot had been said about Bakers availability/mindset.

Has anyone actually thought that Pearson may actually bring someone in like a sports psychologist, along with the new medical team?

An interesting point - is it a mental thing?

On 03/05/2021 at 12:53, Taz said:

Why do I think of Steve Brooker when I read that last part :doh:

I always felt sorry for Brooker, but again - you wonder with some sicknote players how much is physical and how much mental.

But someone like Ribeiro - tragic - lad just couldn't stay fit. I remember he joined Oxford from Exeter, then broke his ankle in his first game. Poor kid was cursed, jacked it in after that. Heartbreaking...

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

And Kasey Palmer has to be up there as one of the worst in terms of money paid. 

3.5 million, and one of our highest earners. Incredible when he couldn't get in our team on loan!

But just think of the relationship we have with Chelsea as a result. ???

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The 5 seasons in question are 2010/11 - 2014/15 incl.

Baker's PL apps., according to wiki: 4,8,26,30 &11.

Due to your insistence above that I'd given a wrong total I've had a recount.

I still make the total 79 - the difference of 1 game is not important except you've chosen to correct me.

Anyway, if you think an average of 16 appearances per season over 5 years is impressive then you're more easily impressed than me.

No record of how many of these 79 games he came off early in either, but with Baker's record at City of failing to complete the match in 1 in 4 of his starts we can safely assume it was unlikely to be an insignificant number.

Cheers for the reply - I didn’t use Wiki as the source, I followed the recommendation of our resident statto@Davefevs and looked here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-baker/leistungsdaten/spieler/62638 - you'll see it states that Baker made 80 appearances for Villa in the seasons you highlighted.

Yep, as I said, in these modern times, with constant squad rotation being a significant part of the game at the top level, averaging 16 games per season in the premier league isn’t too shabby in my opinion - and apart from that, my original post to which you replied simply stated Baker is an experienced premier league player - I still think that 80 appearances at the top level allows Baker to be described as having some decent experience in the premier league - but it’s all up for debate

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But just think of the relationship we have with Chelsea as a result. ???

Our relationship with Chelsea is incredibly fruitful but it's not paying dividends as much as LJ making a lasting impression on Pep Guardiola. Those Man City stars that come to us are making a huge impact.

42 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cheers for the reply - I didn’t use Wiki as the source, I followed the recommendation of our resident statto@Davefevs and looked here: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/nathan-baker/leistungsdaten/spieler/62638 - you'll see it states that Baker made 80 appearances for Villa in the seasons you highlighted.

Yep, as I said, in these modern times, with constant squad rotation being a significant part of the game at the top level, averaging 16 games per season in the premier league isn’t too shabby in my opinion - and apart from that, my original post to which you replied simply stated Baker is an experienced premier league player - I still think that 80 appearances at the top level allows Baker to be described as having some decent experience in the premier league - but it’s all up for debate

I imagine what's clear to most observers is that Baker has had a very patchy appearance record throughout his career, a state of affairs which is unlikely to suddenly improve at 30 years old; also that he has failed to start in considerably more than half the games in a very highly paid 4 year career since signing permanently at AG - indeed, even those games he did start he was unable to complete 25% of them. 

Therefore we should welcome the opportunity City now have to offload such an unreliable player and replace with a younger, cheaper, and almost certainly far more dependable alternative.

I hope we can at least agree on that.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I imagine what's clear to most observers is that Baker has had a very patchy appearance record throughout his career, a state of affairs which is unlikely to suddenly improve at 30 years old; also that he has failed to start in considerably more than half the games in a very highly paid 4 year career since signing permanently at AG - indeed, even those games he did start he was unable to complete 25% of them. 

Therefore we should welcome the opportunity City now have to offload such an unreliable player and replace with a younger, cheaper, and almost certainly far more dependable alternative.

I hope we can at least agree on that.

Well, you’ve ignored my points about Baker’s premier league experience - putting that aside I’m genuinely interested in your point about Baker’s ‘starting’ stats - honestly, not looking for any confrontation or a row, but can you share the stats regarding the number of games Baker has started after signing for City vs the number of games he hasn’t been a starter?

And you say he went off injured in 25% of the games he started? Again, please share the numbers and evidence behind that stat ... I’m not saying you’re incorrect Nogbad, but it would be good to see this analysis of Baker’s City career, you may even change my mind! Cheers ...

34 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, you’ve ignored my points about Baker’s premier league experience - putting that aside I’m genuinely interested in your point about Baker’s ‘starting’ stats - honestly, not looking for any confrontation or a row, but can you share the stats regarding the number of games Baker has started after signing for City vs the number of games he hasn’t been a starter?

And you say he went off injured in 25% of the games he started? Again, please share the numbers and evidence behind that stat ... I’m not saying you’re incorrect Nogbad, but it would be good to see this analysis of Baker’s City career, you may even change my mind! Cheers ...

I have not ignored your points about Baker's PL experience. However you present them I do not find 79 games - or your 80, either way 16 per season - over 5 seasons as impressive as you apparently do. 

The stats for Baker's apps. at City are there for all to see. If Baker's made 85 apps. in 4 seasons since signing for City permanently (with 1 game to come) he clearly has not started the rest.

4 seasons = a total of 184 league games - minus the 1 still to come - so he has started 85 and failed to start 98 games in that time.

The 'he's played just over 80 games and failed to finish 20 of them' (i.e. 25%) came from one of the podcasts, which I assume to be correct - or as near as damn it. Sounds about right to me but If you take issue with that the stats are no doubt available for you to trawl through to present your own figures.

Whatever the exact percentage, the fact remains that we've all seen that Baker has left the pitch due to injury on an extraordinarily large number of occasions.

Far more often than any other City player I've ever seen at the club, and imo. he's definitely not proven reliable enough during his very well paid time at AG to be offered another contract at 30.

21 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I have not ignored your points about Baker's PL experience. However you present them I do not find 79 games - or your 80, either way 16 per season - over 5 seasons as impressive as you apparently do. 

The stats for Baker's apps. at City are there for all to see. If Baker's made 85 apps. in 4 seasons since signing for City permanently (with 1 game to come) he clearly has not started the rest.

4 seasons = a total of 184 league games - minus the 1 still to come - so he has started 85 and failed to start 98 games in that time.

The 'he's played just over 80 games and failed to finish 20 of them' (i.e. 25%) came from one of the podcasts, which I assume to be correct - or as near as damn it. Sounds about right to me but If you take issue with that the stats are no doubt available for you to trawl through to present your own figures.

Whatever the exact percentage, the fact remains that we've all seen that Baker has left the pitch due to injury on an extraordinarily large number of occasions.

Far more often than any other City player I've ever seen at the club, and imo. he's definitely not proven reliable enough during his very well paid time at AG to be offered another contract at 30.

Cheers Nogbad, I appreciate your detailed response ?

Whatever the arguments for and against Baker, there comes a time in any footballers career that they have to move on to pastures new. I have no idea how NP feels about Baker but I guess the odds are that we could have three decent players in various positions for the same wage rate as one Baker. 

I know which way I would go but I'm not Nigel Pearson.

Archived