Jump to content
IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics


Bristolisredd
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

IMO he was never going to get a decent chance. We had Johnson doing his impression of a 5 year old at Christmas, always more interested in the next present . Szmodics had by all reports, had a good pre season. Then LJ gets his new toy in Palmer, who we paid more for and got a run. Not sure what he was supposed to do without getting a game or two. played a total of 107 minutes over 3/4 games, 1 start. Just had a quick look, in and out of the squad, on the bench one week and not the next. I think that speaks more about Johnsons fickle team choices than anything that Szmodics did.
Whether he was good enough then or now is questionable, it just grates a little that our recruitment would spot and sign a player, only to sign another that clearly played in the same sort of position and would play ahead of him, senseless , and yet very Lee Johnson.

 

Well, he is Mo Eisa the 2nd.  Eisa also scored 16 goals for Peterborough in the season we released him. 

What we don't know is how Szmodics performed off pitch.  Maybe Johnson and Holden didn't really think he was all that there.

Should we have kept him? Dunno. He didn't really show much promise in his 4 appearances. It's a steep learning curve and even having one player who is off the pace will knacker teams.

My sole point is that assuming someone who has a decent scoring record in L1 will also have a decent scoring record in the Championship is a leap of faith. The level is very different.

Szmodics scored a goal every three games for Colchester. But that was in L2

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

IMO he was never going to get a decent chance. We had Johnson doing his impression of a 5 year old at Christmas, always more interested in the next present . Szmodics had by all reports, had a good pre season. Then LJ gets his new toy in Palmer, who we paid more for and got a run. Not sure what he was supposed to do without getting a game or two. played a total of 107 minutes over 3/4 games, 1 start. Just had a quick look, in and out of the squad, on the bench one week and not the next. I think that speaks more about Johnsons fickle team choices than anything that Szmodics did.
Whether he was good enough then or now is questionable, it just grates a little that our recruitment would spot and sign a player, only to sign another that clearly played in the same sort of position and would play ahead of him, senseless , and yet very Lee Johnson.

Szmodics wasn’t standing out in u23’s games when I watched them, if he’s not standing out at that standard why would he get more first team minutes? I think we were too quick to sell him but loaning to league 1 was the right move and should have been integrated this season 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

 I think we were too quick to sell him but loaning to league 1 was the right move and should have been integrated this season 

Maybe. I will be interested to see whether Walsh signs a new contract. Having a good season in L1 might leave a player feeling they'd be better off elsewhere. That has been my feeling with LW since his Coventry loan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Szmodics wasn’t standing out in u23’s games when I watched them, if he’s not standing out at that standard why would he get more first team minutes? I think we were too quick to sell him but loaning to league 1 was the right move and should have been integrated this season 

Made the bench fairly often, must have been in Johnsons plans to some extent, plus I'm not sure U23's is a good judging point for a few reasons .Not too sure the players that have turned out this year while getting fit would have looked like World beaters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LJ didnt hardly play Eisa Sczmodics Adelakun Engval etc etc etc. But he was responsible for bringing them in, unless you believe Mark Ashton did it, without consent.

I don’t think Engval is making to many waves (someone who cares please let me know). Eisa and Sczmodics now have a promotion and Adelakun, who knows what’s ahead for him....I guess Nige has seen the vids!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be fair I wouldn't be surprised to see Kasey Palmer get good numbers in league one.

 

To be fair I wouldn't be surprised to see Kasey Palmer get good numbers in league one.

 

To be fair I wouldn't be surprised to see Kasey Palmer get good numbers in league one.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I like the sound of the “tramsfer window” that Barry Fry refers to! It would probably work best within Manchester though …

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's been mentioned before, but worth saying again (as in New York, New York so good they named it twice) - it was crazy to sign Kasey Palmer after signing Szmodics. Without Palmer Szmodics might have had a chance with City

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It's been mentioned before, but worth saying again (as in New York, New York so good they named it twice) - it was crazy to sign Kasey Palmer after signing Szmodics. Without Palmer Szmodics might have had a chance with City

I still find the signing of Palmer the most baffling since Terry Cooper signed Jimmy Harvey in 1987, played him three times and immediately sold him again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I still find the signing of Palmer the most baffling since Terry Cooper signed Jimmy Harvey in 1987, played him three times and immediately sold him again.

 

Surely you can return a product that is faulty for up to a month under the Sale & Goods Act. ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

It's been mentioned before, but worth saying again (as in New York, New York so good they named it twice) - it was crazy to sign Kasey Palmer after signing Szmodics. Without Palmer Szmodics might have had a chance with City

I don't get this. If szmodics wasn't good enough to dislodge Palmer from the team and then Palmer wasn't good enough for the team why would szmodics then be good enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I don't get this. If szmodics wasn't good enough to dislodge Palmer from the team and then Palmer wasn't good enough for the team why would szmodics then be good enough.

I agree that it does seem strange. I suppose it’s all about opinions. My logic is that only one of Palmer or Szmodics could play in the team at any time, as they had a similar playing style. During the season Szmodics was at City he only played 3 league matches whilst Palmer played 25. Szmodics wasn’t brilliant, but he was young, had come from Colchester, and needed time to adapt to Championship football. He didn’t get time.  Palmer, on the other hand played 25 matches. The first 5 or 6 when Benik Afobe was in the team Palmer played well but after Afobe was injured he was average to poor. I think LJ stuck with Palmer because he was the big money signing and he was convinced he could turn him into a good player. If Palmer hadn’t  been there Szmodics would probably have had more starts and may have developed into the good player he is now. 
 
At the end of the season one of them had to go. It had to be Szmodics as City wouldn’t have been able to sell Palmer and recover the fee paid. (And probably because Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton didn’t want to admit they had made a mistake. As I said, this is just an option and hindsight is a good thing 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I don't get this. If szmodics wasn't good enough to dislodge Palmer from the team and then Palmer wasn't good enough for the team why would szmodics then be good enough.

Probably end up at Coventry with Palmer again !!!!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I still find the signing of Palmer the most baffling since Terry Cooper signed Jimmy Harvey in 1987, played him three times and immediately sold him again.

Beginning of the end for poor TC around then. Tony Caldwell signed the same year and only 17 games. A few months in to '88 and TC was gone. A year or so later JJ brings in Gary Shelton in midfield and Bob Taylor up front. Bit more like it.

Someone should start a football programme: Recruitment, Recruitment, Recruitment. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, pongo88 said:


 
At the end of the season one of them had to go. It had to be Szmodics as City wouldn’t have been able to sell Palmer and recover the fee paid. (And probably because Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton didn’t want to admit they had made a mistake. As I said, this is just an option and hindsight is a good thing 

Exactly the same as the Pato v Palmer dilemma at the end of the season before last. Pato had to go.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/07/2022 at 16:39, Red-Robbo said:

 

Surely you can return a product that is faulty for up to a month under the Sale & Goods Act. ;)

That's why we should in future only buy players via the internet. No quibble return policy within 14 days.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

That's why we should in future only buy players via the internet. No quibble return policy within 14 days.

And when the box arrives you think it contains a 6`5` CB but when you take out all the packaging it`s actually a 5`2` winger..........

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And when the box arrives you think it contains a 6`5` CB but when you take out all the packaging it`s actually a 5`2` winger..........

Plus the goods are damaged, requiring 6 months on the treatment table and another 6 months 'on the grass'

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2022 at 09:41, Bristol Oil Services said:

Beginning of the end for poor TC around then. Tony Caldwell signed the same year and only 17 games. A few months in to '88 and TC was gone. A year or so later JJ brings in Gary Shelton in midfield and Bob Taylor up front. Bit more like it.

Someone should start a football programme: Recruitment, Recruitment, Recruitment. 

Also the case that before JJ brought in Super Bob & Shelts, he signed Scott McGarvey from Grimsby (with Tony Caldwell going the other way) & Gary Stanley.

That definitely wasn’t a “bit more like it”.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Set to sign for blackburn for 2.5mill. We likely due a reasonable sell on fee here? 10-20% of 1.7mill? Every little helps

I wonder if the sell on filters down to Colchester still?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...