IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Unan

Def right man for me but he has to be given time going to take a few transfer windows. Hopefully next season we will see a positive style of football especially at home and bring back the feel good factor. May take a few seasons its a huge job.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Nope, please try again though. 

I'm used to being a lone voice on here, whether it be regards the academy, or Bobby Reid or whatever else. 

Clearly I dont see things the same as others, but that's the beauty of having a discussion. If everything was the same it would be deathly dull. 

It would be great if we actually had some sustained success and progression. I think that next season means we're at the longest consecutive time at this level since the mid 1960s but will happily be corrected. 

What I'm currently seeing though is a not so new manager, making the same promises that have been made a million times before, without the results to back it up. 

NPs interview for me was blame bingo. That clearly doesn't tie in with others versions of events, and that's what it is. 

If it changes next year and we dont fall into the same rinse and repeat that we aleays do, then great. However at this stage, words and promises and blame are all we have. 

Call it doom mongering if you want. I'm going on what I've seen and evidence in front of me, which at this point doesnt scream success. 

Blamed fitness

Blamed playets,

Blamed the Pandemic, or tactical preparations (isnt that his job to sort??) 

Blamed Out of contract players

Blamed the fans for not giving him crap

Offered loads of buts. 

I dont want excuses, I want doing, and with us we've not seen that, he's not yet earned it here and we continue to be tripe. 

If and it's if we start next season and things change then great.

However nothing at this stage points to that, so I remain agnostic. 

Dead simple really. 

He's NOT blaming the fans!  FFS.

NP is obviously surprised by the support of the fans despite results.   He must be encouraged too that the vast majority still have faith in his ability to create the right culture and philosophy to achieve success.

He comes across as very restrained in what he says.  Feel like he'd like to say more about what needs to done but I expect him to be more forthright when he start to unveil staff and signings.

It's not gonna be an easy season next year but I think it will be interesting.  We needed radical change and I feel that's what we'll get.  It may be a rocky road though.  I'm excited. 

It was a great interview, but for a bit of balance - I am not overly optimistic, losing becomes a habit and teams forget how to win games or sustain confidence. Nerves become affected by that "here we go again" feeling. It bleeds into the next season (unless you can swap all 11 players) as other long term downward trajectory clubs have shown. That is not Pearson's fault, he is literally playing U23s, but it will be hard work to turn it around.

Back to the interview - the reason I think most sane people have appreciated it, is because we are being told in no uncertain terms that our standards are not high enough, by someone who knows EXACTLY what standards are required because he has achieved what we want to achieve. I liked Lee Johnson and less so Dean Holden, but anything that either of them ever told us came from a position of ZERO authority on what was required.

In LJ's case this was often branded as innovation or unique insight. Sometimes it was, but for the most part we have been fed years of inexperienced assumptions dressed up as leadership. When anyone gets defensive of LJ or DH my simple view is they each had an opportunity to serve an apprenticeship under people who've got to the highest level (or do so themselves) and both chose the fast track. Their inexperience is their own fault.

So in their own way both over achieved and I'm generally complimentary about LJ - but crucially, it makes the things Nigel Pearson now says helpful and reassuring for a lot of us. He has the experience to call it like it is as he actually knows. And as he himself states quite clearly in today's interview - we are going to need to start by being honest. And the last few years haven't been that precisely because of the 2 coaches narrating the story.

48 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

He comes across as very restrained in what he says.  Feel like he'd like to say more about what needs to done but I expect him to be more forthright when he start to unveil staff and signings.

I don’t think it’s that, I just think he’s aware more than most what the media reaction is the what managers say and therefore considers carefully his use of words before speaking 

I know this goes against the grain but I don't fancy nigel here one bit.

Not because he isn't a capable and experienced manager, but this club is beyond his immediate help (in my opinion). 

At some point there will be a clash, and ways will part, Bristol City Football Club will visit league one before they visit the Premier league.

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Did you read my post, or just react to it? 

Genuine question seeing as you quoted it but ignored what was said.

Auch well.  Carry on trying to to tell me my own views on stuff.

Hopefully things will improve and changes will be made, enjoy the off season and see what happens moving forwards. 

I did read it. And I just read it a second time to see where I misquoted you. I do not believe I misquoted you.

You are very welcome to your own views but you are not welcome to your own facts. In the post I replied to you state that he blamed the fans. You don’t couch it as an opinion but as a fact. Having watched the video, the fact is he does not do that.

Like any poster on here, I can only react or reply to what you have written. If you are finding that how people react to what you have written does not reflect what you think, it might be worth checking whether you have phrased your posts in the clearest way possible rather than berating others for reacting to the words you have put on the page.

Key takeaways for me:

• Mentions backroom staff and need to improve fitness
  • Loss of first team players to injury - indicates he rates the injured players. Clearly thinks some players are simply picking up the wages and dialling in performances - but doesn't mention bringing in players.
  • Importance of collective responsibility (not leadership, interestingly)
  • Recognises he's personally had an easy ride so far, given the results.

7 hours ago, Olé said:

And as he himself states quite clearly in today's interview - we are going to need to start by being honest. And the last few years haven't been that precisely because of the 2 coaches narrating the story.

This is the most important bit for me as well.

Nobody knows for certain whether Nigel Pearson will be a success, but I too became very bored of the spin and narrative that the club would pump out over the last 3 years. 

It’s important to be positive but it’s also important to recognise the challenges and and take responsibility for them. The Lee Johnson years always ended in failure. I grew sick of the ‘progression’ narrative when every season we simply fell away.

15 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Her, misgendering is so much fun isn't it

There's no way anyone could tell your gender from your forum name, any more than they could from mine.

Mind you don't get hurt getting off your high horse.

4 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

He was surprised that he didn't have more criticism, which to me suggested that he was saying a) we lacked passion and are generally placid about disasters unfolding (we are, I can't remember genuine fan movements here since rail seating, open the east end, and Red Card to Russe in the main)

Definitely has a point there doesn’t he?

Look how easily we would just accept the inevitable end of season implodes under Lee Johnson? 

11 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Im not welcome to my own facts? 

Interesting posit, and certainly ties in with previous conversations ive had here avout people being keen to explain my own views too me, which is certainly, different. 

Your post sees things one way, clearly mine another, the black and white in the post you quoted previously says it all, and either you missed a bit or your post is conveniently wanting to promote a different narrative. 

"Blamed the fans for not giving him crap

That's what I posted. 

He was surprised that he didn't have more criticism, which to me suggested that he was saying a) we lacked passion and are generally placid about disasters unfolding (we are, I can't remember genuine fan movements here since rail seating, open the east end, and Red Card to Russe in the main) and in general whine on here instead, myself included and b) that he thrives on that style of banter, much in the way that Colin manual manipulator does etc. Maybe a bit pantomime villiain like and wants that interaction to help him be motivated. It's clear he reads here or other social media

It seemed like blame to me, others may wholeheartedly disagree. 

I agree that for all the rose-tinted glasses, the jury should be out on NP. However, I disagree with some of your earlier points about him criticising the fans (I didn't hear that) and blaming everyone else (nope, sounded like an analytical assessment of where we are).

Maybe I'm taking too much at face value, and not reading enough into his words.

7 hours ago, Olé said:

It was a great interview, but for a bit of balance - I am not overly optimistic, losing becomes a habit and teams forget how to win games or sustain confidence. Nerves become affected by that "here we go again" feeling. It bleeds into the next season (unless you can swap all 11 players) as other long term downward trajectory clubs have shown. That is not Pearson's fault, he is literally playing U23s, but it will be hard work to turn it around.

Back to the interview - the reason I think most sane people have appreciated it, is because we are being told in no uncertain terms that our standards are not high enough, by someone who knows EXACTLY what standards are required because he has achieved what we want to achieve. I liked Lee Johnson and less so Dean Holden, but anything that either of them ever told us came from a position of ZERO authority on what was required.

In LJ's case this was often branded as innovation or unique insight. Sometimes it was, but for the most part we have been fed years of inexperienced assumptions dressed up as leadership. When anyone gets defensive of LJ or DH my simple view is they each had an opportunity to serve an apprenticeship under people who've got to the highest level (or do so themselves) and both chose the fast track. Their inexperience is their own fault.

So in their own way both over achieved and I'm generally complimentary about LJ - but crucially, it makes the things Nigel Pearson now says helpful and reassuring for a lot of us. He has the experience to call it like it is as he actually knows. And as he himself states quite clearly in today's interview - we are going to need to start by being honest. And the last few years haven't been that precisely because of the 2 coaches narrating the story.

Mate, I'll contradict you in the name of blind optimism... In 2019-20 Barnsley lost 21 games with a -20 gd. Yesterday, they finished 5th.

That losing mentality could also depend on who the leaders in the team are. Bring 2/3 strong characters into the set up and maybe they lift others to their level?

Finally, we're currently trapped in a perfect storm of having nothing to play for, players leaving and general transition at the club. The environment will be more settled and focussed on a goal come August.

So I'm confident we can improve next season, but at the same time I don'texpect us to shoot up to the upper reaches of mid-table simply because the squad won't be sufficiently rebuilt yet.

You touched on Johnson and I wonder how he would have got on with a DoF (minus Ashton)?

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

To a degree, I can understand your position, many  to an extent share it.Results are terrible, totally awful But you have now gone to an extreme to justify why you are suggesting caution. If NP is pointing out where we have failed, and we have (largest wage bill in history and transfer spend) , but you see that as excuses rather than areas of improvement then it is rather strange. NP has to prove himself, and any person coming into our car crash would have to do the same. But you have tuned your reasonable voice of caution into a nonsensical argument where you are expecting 5 years of transfer mayhem, poor leadership etc etc into a comment about how someone on their own was expected to have solved all in 3 months (within the context of the current situation). Your initial comments of caution and need to view what happens were sensible, the latest additions for me are nonsense .We have issues to solve, yet you view those as excuses. That is bizarre. We have issues, they need solving but they were years in the making, but you think one person arriving mid crisis should solve all overnight.. If this time next year it is the same then that is a different issue. I have no idea if NP is going to work, results have been a disaster. But he has achieved what we are trying to achieve, and knows more about how to do that that anyone else in modern BCFC history. You are not being agonistic in any way, you have become antagonistic . A little bit of pragmatism goes a long way. 

Great post ??????

8 hours ago, Olé said:

and another ??????

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I did read it. And I just read it a second time to see where I misquoted you. I do not believe I misquoted you.

You are very welcome to your own views but you are not welcome to your own facts. In the post I replied to you state that he blamed the fans. You don’t couch it as an opinion but as a fact. Having watched the video, the fact is he does not do that.

Like any poster on here, I can only react or reply to what you have written. If you are finding that how people react to what you have written does not reflect what you think, it might be worth checking whether you have phrased your posts in the clearest way possible rather than berating others for reacting to the words you have put on the page.

And one more ??????

(From a sports journo)

11 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Nope, please try again though. 

I'm used to being a lone voice on here, whether it be regards the academy, or Bobby Reid or whatever else. 

Clearly I dont see things the same as others, but that's the beauty of having a discussion. If everything was the same it would be deathly dull. 

It would be great if we actually had some sustained success and progression. I think that next season means we're at the longest consecutive time at this level since the mid 1960s but will happily be corrected. 

What I'm currently seeing though is a not so new manager, making the same promises that have been made a million times before, without the results to back it up. 

NPs interview for me was blame bingo. That clearly doesn't tie in with others versions of events, and that's what it is. 

If it changes next year and we dont fall into the same rinse and repeat that we aleays do, then great. However at this stage, words and promises and blame are all we have. 

Call it doom mongering if you want. I'm going on what I've seen and evidence in front of me, which at this point doesnt scream success. 

Blamed fitness

Blamed playets,

Blamed the Pandemic, or tactical preparations (isnt that his job to sort??) 

Blamed Out of contract players

Blamed the fans for not giving him crap

Offered loads of buts. 

I dont want excuses, I want doing, and with us we've not seen that, he's not yet earned it here and we continue to be tripe. 

If and it's if we start next season and things change then great.

However nothing at this stage points to that, so I remain agnostic. 

Dead simple really. 

Knob

43 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I agree that for all the rose-tinted glasses, the jury should be out on NP. However, I disagree with some of your earlier points about him criticising the fans (I didn't hear that) and blaming everyone else (nope, sounded like an analytical assessment of where we are).

No you are not.

In the world of root cause analysis and cause and effect, doing your analysis and finding the true problems….and stating them (as NP has) is not blaming, nor is it failing to take responsibility, but….giving you the points to make change.  It’s as simple as that.

Its fine to say results are shit….they are.

The other stuff is spin / agendas.

18 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

@davefevs got out of the bed on the right side!

My bed only has a right side ?

43 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

No you are not.

In the world of root cause analysis and cause and effect, doing your analysis and finding the true problems….and stating them (as NP has) is not blaming, nor is it failing to take responsibility, but….giving you the points to make change.  It’s as simple as that.

Its fine to say results are shit….they are.

The other stuff is spin / agendas.

18 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

@davefevs got out of the bed on the right side!

My bed only has a right side ?

16 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's a discussion forum, it's not a dream like panacea where everything is blind to what's being served up ona mix of hope and blind faith

You've got form for doing the same for previous managers and it would be easy to write off  your response. However I'm not

I'm not actually negative, I'm actually saying it as I see it. 

I dont expect it to be popular and, I'm not sorry for being honest. if you dont like that, then there's really nothing I can do about that except keep discussing stuff. 

Her, misgendering is so much fun isn't it

I think it’s entirely justified to question the lack of impact NP has had on the team and its results. Healthy questioning is important.

i was in favour of him coming in when DH was sacked but, even with all the current problems, I expected a more organised, determined team. We’ve had neither.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Been very clear about my gender on here

I'll take the not being discriminated against thanks. 

Not a high horse then is it. 

Yes, you've certainly used it as a source of indignation when people have mistaken it on a few posts, although in your profile information, under gender it says 'not telling' which I find curious.

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

I think it’s entirely justified to question the lack of impact NP has had on the team and its results. Healthy questioning is important.

i was in favour of him coming in when DH was sacked but, even with all the current problems, I expected a more organised, determined team. We’ve had neither.

The question we should be asking is why has it been nigh impossible to turn the performances around?

My opinion, based on a lot of hindsight.

Two rookie managers. One who thought he was more important than the players. The other too matey with them.

A club decision to sell top players at the first opportunity and replace them with a scattergun policy operated by a self opinionated CEO who didn't have a clue about the quality and excessive numbers of players that he was buying.

Add to that the shambles in the medical and fitness background which created a truly amazing number of long term injuries. More hamstring problems than I can ever remember.

And some expected that Nigel Pearson would arrive and repair all the damage in five minutes!

Even the great Sir Alex found it tough going for a few YEARS at Man U. Similarly Klopp needed three years. And look at how much decline this season almost certainly due to all their centre back injuries.

We should have been relegated. We managed to perform a minor miracle and stay up.

If we finish between 12th and 18th next season, I'll be grateful. It will take Pearson or any other manager you care to name at least two to three years to dig us out of this pile of smelly brown stuff!

Archived