IGNORED

Matty James - SIGNED - BCFC Twitter

GrahamC

On 27/05/2021 at 07:20, HappyClapper said:

Yes, going there on holiday I believe Major.

Anytime return saver to Brindisi. That takes in a lovely bit of scenery and he can pop in to a few Serie A and B teams while he is at it .. some tasty defenders in them there smaller clubs ripe for pickin.

Just on a technical note, and I'm likely stating a fairly obvious point but in terms of Tapping up and that. I absolutely don't think it's occurred here anyway so this is a general point.

If it is a foreign club or even Scottish making the approach in January, all good. If it's a fellow English club then that would be tapping up, subject to how the Parent club view it.

If he's clearly on the way out and loaned elsewhere as with James here, doubt Leicester would care in any case however beyond such circs it can absolutely be tapping up if an English club does it.

Don't know how it works abroad, if they have different rules ie can a German club approach an out of contract player at another German club in January and make them a pre-contract offer or if what applies here is worldwide, ie no club can approach an imminent free agent in January from the same country without it becoming a tapping up issue.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just on a technical note, and I'm likely stating a fairly obvious point but in terms of Tapping up and that. I absolutely don't think it's occurred here anyway so this is a general point.

If it is a foreign club or even Scottish making the approach in January, all good. If it's a fellow English club then that would be tapping up, subject to how the Parent club view it.

If he's clearly on the way out and loaned elsewhere as with James here, doubt Leicester would care in any case however beyond such circs it can absolutely be tapping up if an English club does it.

Don't know how it works abroad, if they have different rules ie can a German club approach an out of contract player at another German club in January and make them a pre-contract offer or if what applies here is worldwide, ie no club can approach an imminent free agent in January from the same country without it becoming a tapping up issue.

Essentially you can talk to a player at any point, just that you might need the owning club’s permission to do so in certain timeframes.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Essentially you can talk to a player at any point, just that you might need the owning club’s permission to do so in certain timeframes.

Is this English club to English club? I know that e.g. English clubs can have their players approached in January if in final 6 months of contract and I assume it works both ways, by non-English clubs.

Pretty sure that we couldn't have e.g. approached Matty James in January and offered him a pre contract effective from June. Yes he was at Coventry on loan anyway but even despite that.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is this English club to English club? I know that e.g. English clubs can have their players approached in January if in final 6 months of contract and I assume it works both ways, by non-English clubs.

Pretty sure that we couldn't have e.g. approached Matty James in January and offered him a pre contract effective from June. Yes he was at Coventry on loan anyway but even despite that.

There is a difference between signing pre-contract and the rules and timings around that….and speaking to a player.

You can speak to any player at any time, if the owning club agree, which of course they don’t have to.  In some cases the owning club might welcome someone speaking to their player.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is a difference between signing pre-contract and the rules and timings around that….and speaking to a player.

You can speak to any player at any time, if the owning club agree, which of course they don’t have to.  In some cases the owning club might welcome someone speaking to their player.

Add that it would be speaking to Leicester rather than speaking to Coventry

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ah we were cross purposes. I was thinking narrowly of pre-contract rules in different countries. Of course with a clubs permission can speak at any time.

Agreed on that too- if out of favour or even more so wanting them out the door, clubs would welcome it- look at Stoke who loaned out I think 12 the other season season, or this season anyway they would welcome any approach pretty much for those with open arms!

Still being linked.

BBC Gossip...

Rivals Bristol City, Cardiff City and Swansea City are all interested in free midfield agent Matty James, 29, who will be leaving Leicester City this summer after nine years at the club. (Mail)

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Still being linked.

BBC Gossip...

Rivals Bristol City, Cardiff City and Swansea City are all interested in free midfield agent Matty James, 29, who will be leaving Leicester City this summer after nine years at the club. (Mail)

Hopefully previously signed and worked together at Leicester, you’d hope that gives us a slight advantage.

11 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Hopefully previously signed and worked together at Leicester, you’d hope that gives us a slight advantage.

Maybe.

But Swansea must be regarded as one of the playoff candidates, so tough opposition.

He'll probably take his time, knowing that he will have a number of clubs after him.

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe.

But Swansea must be regarded as one of the playoff candidates, so tough opposition.

He'll probably take his time, knowing that he will have a number of clubs after him.

Yes but lots more competition for those central positions there. Depends on if he want to possibly be a squad player for a strong side or a regular in a side that is more likely to be battling relegation than playoff(at this stage anyway). 

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Maybe.

True but Swansea’s parachute payments must be finished now and i dont think they’ll repeat last season.

also imagine having to look at Coopers mug everyday.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Pearson wanting 2 CMs in. If we don't sign Matty James then I'm really struggling to think of many realistic midfielders that are better than what we already have.

KDH - loan (more than perm accepted)

Crooks - something different, complimentary

Probably several more….we just don’t know of them.  I’d have Wing or Wiles from Rotherham (Wing back to Boro), so irons in fire…potentially.

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but lots more competition for those central positions there. Depends on if he want to possibly be a squad player for a strong side or a regular in a side that is more likely to be battling relegation than playoff(at this stage anyway). 

It will surely depend on who is paying the most and I  doubt it will be us.

10 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

It will surely depend on who is paying the most and I  doubt it will be us.

If we are going for ‘quality over quantity’ perhaps we can , and should, be competitive in our offers to the caliber of player we want to bring in . 

Although Largish Nige said he wanted parity in player’s wages , which player could argue that he deserved more than a guy who has played regularly in the highest division and in Europe  ? 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

If we are going for ‘quality over quantity’ perhaps we can , and should, be competitive in our offers to the caliber of player we want to bring in . 

Although Largish Nige said he wanted parity in player’s wages , which player could argue that he deserved more than a guy who has played regularly in the highest division and in Europe  ? 

I hope your theory is correct.

24 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

I hope your theory is correct.

The Yanks have a charming expression for where we are;

’ Either shit or get off the pot’.

We must pay the going rate or lose out to clubs who will.

The big problem we have at the moment is ‘ What is the going rate? ‘ 

We are between a rock and Joe Jordan, we need players in but we also need to be smart and get the right ones in at the right price which may mean waiting and sweating it out .

Not at all easy. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The Yanks have a charming expression for where we are;

’ Either shit or get off the pot’.

We must pay the going rate or lose out to clubs who will.

The big problem we have at the moment is ‘ What is the going rate? ‘ 

We are between a rock and Joe Jordan, we need players in but we also need to be smart and get the right ones in at the right price which may mean waiting and sweating it out .

Not at all easy. 

I'd imagine one of the issues at the moment is that no one knows what the going rate is anymore. Agents will still be asking for pre-pandemic wages but clearly most clubs won't be in a position to offer 2019 sized contacts now. You'd imagine what will happen is that quite a lot of late business will be done outside prem as reality starts to set in for players that there aren't clbs out there willing to pay their previous 'going rate'. Players might start looking for onger contracts at 'reduced' wages for a bit of certainty and security. Or clubs get edgey, pay over the odds, and 6 months down the line can't pay their wage bills. 

Archived