IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Another crowing update phone call from my brother in law just ended on a sore note (again)....

Him - "The diggers are going in at the UWE in October, looks like we're getting our stadium after all"

Me - "Hmmm a car park actually"

Him - "Well that's because the builders need to park somewhere so they're doing that first"

Me - "Are you actually that stupid?"

Him - "That's what the club were saying today anyway You're just jealous"

Me - "Of a car park? Or League Two football? Or the billionaire who can't fund his own stadium and doesn't appear to have a pot to piss in?...Let me think hmmmm nope"

Him - "Oh fxxk off" (hangs up)

Dont know why he sets himself up every week.....but I love it. 

• Like 17

Just now, Charliesboots said:

Another crowing update phone call from my brother in law just ended on a sore note (again)....

Him - "The diggers are going in at the UWE in October, looks like we're getting our stadium after all"

Me - "Hmmm a car park actually"

Him - "Well that's because the builders need to park somewhere so they're doing that first"

Me - "Are you actually that stupid?"

Him - "That's what the club were saying today anyway You're just jealous"

Me - "Of a car park? Or League Two football? Or the billionaire who can't fund his own stadium and doesn't appear to have a pot to piss in?...Let me think hmmmm nope"

Him - "Oh fxxk off" (hangs up)

Dont know why he sets himself up every week.....but I love it. 

TBF I am a bit jealous of them getting a car park what with how difficult it`s getting finding somewhere to park round AG these days

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, shelts said:

Fair play to em winning again today. Tight league can't afford any slip ups. 

Yep, if they secure back to back promotions then I'd have to say fair play, great achievement...as much as I've hated Dopey's antics over the last couple of years....but two consecutive promotions at any level is to be admired. Not that they've done it yet...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, if they secure back to back promotions then I'd have to say fair play, great achievement...as much as I've hated Dopey's antics over the last couple of years....but two consecutive promotions at any level is to be admired. Not that they've done it yet...

Indeed fair play, and they may do well to keep hold of him if it happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pride of the west said:

So the question has to be asked, what do the investors want in return for their cash

Let's think about this for a moment. Could it be lots of love from the Rovers's fans?  Perhaps not. A few free tickets to watch lower league football? Perhaps not. 

How about a good return on the investment?  As building a new ground for a loss making League 2 club is high risk, the return must be high to justify the risk. It's not the same as a bank giving somebody a loan to buy a house as, if that goes pear shaped, the bank can repossess and sell the house. If a football club goes bust there is little resale value in a football stadium other than the value of the land. 

So, high risk investment = big returns for the investors = a big drain on Rover's finances for years to come. (That's the best case scenario)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Maybe you soon have to drop the dopey??....they will be promoted,back to backs.not too shabby...

Way to go yet. Plymouth and Accrington breathing down their necks, and don't forget they have spectacular form for taking a seemingly impregnable league position and watching it all turn to shit in the last few games.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Way to go yet. Plymouth and Accrington breathing down their necks, and don't forget they have spectacular form for taking a seemingly impregnable league position and watching it all turn to shit in the last few games.

Plymouth are hardly "breathing down their necks"; they were top at Christmas and since then have been on a serious slide.

It turns out that their manager, Derek Adams, plays the exact same players in the exact same formation week in week out and the other teams now know how to counter this.

That sounds very familiar, thought I.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Plymouth are hardly "breathing down their necks"; they were top at Christmas and since then have been on a serious slide.

It turns out that their manager, Derek Adams, plays the exact same players in the exact same formation week in week out and the other teams now know how to counter this.

The fact they had a form slide is neither here nor there, they won last night and are on the same points as the Gas. Only a 2 goal difference is keeping the horse punchers in the top 3.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The fact they had a form slide is neither here nor there, they won last night and are on the same points as the Gas. Only a 2 goal difference is keeping the horse punchers in the top 3.

I'm wondering if rovers have peaked a bit too soon, fantastic form for them lately though

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They, Portsmouth, and Accrington are the form sides who have closed what was a fairly chunky gap on what was initially Oxford and was then Plymouth.

Plymouth and Oxford have both been on the slide.  The autos very much look like Northampton (obvious) and two from Pompey, Accrington and the Gas.

1 minute ago, City169 said:

I'm wondering if rovers have peaked a bit too soon, fantastic form for them lately though

That's undeniable. 

To be honest, they are the size of club that should always be challenging for promotion from that division. 

While we laugh at them for their "Barcelona" delusions and the fantasy of a vast travelling army of Gasheads, they are a very big and well-resourced club by comparison to some of the ramshackle outfits in L2.  When they were in the Conf,  they WERE giants. Half the clubs there had part-timers on their books.

• Like 2

It does seem they have good momentum now and back to back promotions would be impressive if it was any team but Rovers , However  there is still plenty of time for them to slip into the beloved play offs . 

Ah you can tell is international break , that is way too long for a post on Rovers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's undeniable. 

To be honest, they are the size of club that should always be challenging for promotion from that division. 

While we laugh at them for their "Barcelona" delusions and the fantasy of a vast travelling army of Gasheads, they are a very big and well-resourced club by comparison to some of the ramshackle outfits in L2.  When they were in the Conf,  they WERE giants. Half the clubs there had part-timers on their books.

This is always the thing that I find most hilarious; when we are punching at pretty much what could be seen as our level based on our support and current infrastructure (i.e. bottom half Championship club, which tallies with our attendances and spending compared to others in the league, and the rebuild will adjust that upwards still), they still crank on about how well they are doing, when at the very least they should be a level above where they are now (and certainly not recently non-league) when the same factors are consisted.

Dicking pub teams last year, and now riding high in a league where Accie Stanley are true contenders and Northampton are looking to win it at a canter - seems a little like a pro boxer giving it the big un after turning up to an under-14 training night and knocking out some kids - hardly worth yelling about.

The (tiny) handful of sensible gasheads I've ever encountered recognise this, and don't tend to crow about hammering the likes of Braintree or Morecambe, instead keeping their powder dry for when they might end up doing similar to the Sheffield Uniteds or even potentially Fulhams of this world again, and even with their current form they could still be facing the same sides next year again.

Problem is that most of the loudest (and likely stupidest) amongst them don't realise how foolish they look trying to show off escaping the basement, when we're more concerned with winning games in the 4th best supported league in Europe, not overhauling the club with the lowest average attendance in the entire 92 (hi again, Accrington).

I'll be impressed if they can go up and maintain this momentum, but part of me is pretty sure they'll go back to the days of Trollope, where midtable league one gives them a nose bleed, and they undermine themselves by sacking anyone who can't deliver better, leaving them floundering.

And this car park nonsense; calling that a step forward after Sainsburys walked away with their legal bills paid is like calling breaking only one arm and one leg a 'victory' when you trip on the carpet walking to to the front door - you don't get to call it 'progress' if you don't actually go anywhere.

I'll start listening to their rubbish on that front when they open the doors on a new ground; anything before that point they are liable to balls up.

Edited by samo II
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Argyle fan I works with begs to differ, both their first choice central midfielders have been missing for the last six weeks, one injured, the other was recalled by Palace.

Both are now back.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's undeniable. 

Completely agree, that fact that rovers are league 2 is underachievement on their end. 

10 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

" #BristolRovers chairman Steve Hamer confirms to @bbcbristolsport they are seeking investment partners for the new stadium. "

Wait a minute... Thought these lot were billionaires? That statement should bring them down to earth with a bump.

I caught a few minutes of his interview - his comment was along the lines that no single individual would ever fund a development of that cost on their own.

Once again, thankyou SL....

• Like 4

You can only beat what's in front of you and to their credit they seem to making a good job of it for now. 

But as Samo and others have said, they just seem to be finding their level again. Them slipping to the basement would be like us slipping to league two. 

They're finding their level again. And i can't wait for them to take on the likes of MK Dons (ideally still under that scouse bloke) because they're going to get smashed. And a whole different level of hilarity will ensue. 

For the moment, fair play to the gas. Let's hope that the hatred we all once had can return, because at present they're still comedy rivals rather than genuine rivals. 

• Like 5

On 2/22/2016 at 01:59, BCFC Jordan said:

One day after watching them for the first time and he looks depressed and is already needing to go elsewhere for a fix of a decent standard of football.

12743873_10205660624214724_4992261339245

14 hours ago, shelts said:

On 3/23/2016 at 21:50, bs3 said:

For those saying 'Fair play to Rovers', I say 'Bollocks to Rovers'.

A predictable comment from me perhaps, but if nothing else hopefully it clears this mess out of my reply box.

Plus, it needed saying imo. :yes::city:

• Like 8

2 hours ago, samo II said:

This is always the thing that I find most hilarious; when we are punching at pretty much what could be seen as our level based on our support and current infrastructure (i.e. bottom half Championship club, which tallies with our attendances and spending compared to others in the league, and the rebuild will adjust that upwards still), they still crank on about how well they are doing, when at the very least they should be a level above where they are now (and certainly not recently non-league) when the same factors are consisted.

Dicking pub teams last year, and now riding high in a league where Accie Stanley are true contenders and Northampton are looking to win it at a canter - seems a little like a pro boxer giving it the big un after turning up to an under-14 training night and knocking out some kids - hardly worth yelling about.

The (tiny) handful of sensible gasheads I've ever encountered recognise this, and don't tend to crow about hammering the likes of Braintree or Morecambe, instead keeping their powder dry for when they might end up doing similar to the Sheffield Uniteds or even potentially Fulhams of this world again, and even with their current form they could still be facing the same sides next year again.

Problem is that most of the loudest (and likely stupidest) amongst them don't realise how foolish they look trying to show off escaping the basement, when we're more concerned with winning games in the 4th best supported league in Europe, not overhauling the club with the lowest average attendance in the entire 92 (hi again, Accrington).

I'll be impressed if they can go up and maintain this momentum, but part of me is pretty sure they'll go back to the days of Trollope, where midtable league one gives them a nose bleed, and they undermine themselves by sacking anyone who can't deliver better, leaving them floundering.

So spot on.

What their upturn in form has also done is allow the local media (Bristol Post & Radio Bristol) to start off yet another Rovers wankfest whilst singularly failing to point out the current pathetic level they play at.

There genuinely was an article in the Post by their new sports reporter (an idiot by the name of Dan Newman) the week before last, comparing Clarke and Cotterill's win ratios over their time in Bristol and deducing in all seriousness that the former's was better, strangely failing to point out Cotterill was facing the likes of Burnley, Derby and Hull this season whereas Clarke's record included wins against footballing giants such as Telford and Braintree.

On this basis those goals I scored in the school playground between 1975 and 1980 obviously demonstrated how much better a striker I was than Ian Rush.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 18

They had a full house yesterday....taken them long enough this season but then it's amazing how many 'loyal' Gasheads suddenly remember they support Rovers when they look likely to get promoted. 

According to many I've seen on Facebook, yesterday's crowd PROVES that they have fantastic fans and need a much bigger stadium. Imagine how bursting with pride they would be if they'd had as many 'sell outs' as us this season at the wrong end of the table? 

Hope they don't get promoted but they probably will, don't mind too much as long as we stay up.

• Like 1