IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Has anyone seen the article where Harry Redknapp suggests a couple of Jordan internationals could play for the Gas? Would be hilarious to see the new owner force a couple players on DC that can't speak a word of english and have no clue about english football!

Harry thinks they have several that are good enough but surely if that was the case they wouldn't be playing in the middle east still.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

i think in past years, back in the day when there was never more than a division between us etc then this kind of reporting by the media did indeed do the gas a lot of good and created a lot of latent support for them in the city.

I like to think that the larger gulf between us of the past few years has seen the gas sympathisers as an aging bunch and the younger generation increasingly more drawn towards City.

In Weston at least, you see a lot more City attire being worn than you did even four or five years ago, especially by kids at school where the only English club I see represented these days is City, although RM & Barca still have their adherents. Anything rovers is only ever worn by people over 50 and it always looks a little weatherbeaten to say the least!

A few more years of the gap and it could well become a difference in support that would be insurmountable for a generation at least. Fortunately for the gas the takeover has happened just in time and, should they begin to close the distance, then things will return to what they were. Fingers crossed it all goes tits up :P

Finally, as a bit of a straw poll I was at Slimbridge on Good Friday, and the football clothing count in my head that day was City 4, Manchester City 1, Arsenal 1,  the rest 0 so not too bad a result :)

I had the distinctly queasy experience of seeing one of those god awful tramps' pink away strips in Aberfoyle, when on holiday some years ago. Fair put me off my victuals.

1 hour ago, nathredwood said:

Has anyone seen the article where Harry Redknapp suggests a couple of Jordan internationals could play for the Gas? Would be hilarious to see the new owner force a couple players on DC that can't speak a word of english and have no clue about english football!

Harry thinks they have several that are good enough but surely if that was the case they wouldn't be playing in the middle east still.

As opposed to North-West Bristol, that is?

• Like 1

• Admin

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/harry-redknapp-we-could-see-jordan-players-join-bristol-rovers-a3211036.html

• Like 1

If they move to Roverzzz it'll be like playing in middle earth..

• Like 1

You might like to hear an independent opinion of the gas.  An acquaintance of mine - a life-long Wimbledon supporter, experienced his first visit to our dear rivals and described them as "the most unpleasant, ignorant, moronic bunch of hooligans he had ever come across at a football ground".  I rest my case.

1 hour ago, Red Bill said:

You might like to hear an independent opinion of the gas.  An acquaintance of mine - a life-long Wimbledon supporter, experienced his first visit to our dear rivals and described them as "the most unpleasant, ignorant, moronic bunch of hooligans he had ever come across at a football ground".  I rest my case.

And that was just the pasty sellers :wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Bill said:

And that was just the mascots.

2 hours ago, Red Bill said:

It was interesting to read some posts on gaschat when they played Wycombe recently. Our fellow Bristolians were describing the opponents and their supporters as "inbred cheats".

On 28 March 2016 at 17:55, Port Said Red said:

651 listening  to Radio Bristol, on an Easter Monday and as a percentage of their usual home gate it's pretty good. I would imagine all but one would not have made that journey if they werent in the top 3 though. :) 

Not that I really care but they haven't been in the top 3 at all this season have they?!

14 hours ago, Red Bill said:

And that was the women.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Good grief, I apologise chief, I never realised they'd hit heights as dizzy as that!

I still laugh about the post on their forum which said they've got a better away following than Liverpool....

Barcelona of league two.........

that is all

23 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think there's also the Somerset hinterland effect on City's support.  

Although there are lots of City fans in the historical county of Gloucestershire, in my experience any identification with the Gas doesn't go much north of Thornbury and certainly there is virtually none by the time you get to Gloucester. 

Historical Somerset is actually a very big county - it would be pushing a million people if all its constituent parts were stitched back together - and other than Bath [rugby] and Yeovil, Wincanton, Crewkerne, Langport [all YTFC] the majority of football fans in its towns and cities are probably City.

In both counties I'm discounting the Arsenal/Man U/Chelsea "fans" who never go to matches. Sadly they ate probably the majority throughout southern England - including Bristol.

Regarding Somerset, your spot on, certainly Bridgwater has a large City following. Unfortunately not as big as Man U and Liverpool though. Sometimes I wonder if I live in the north fn west!

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Like 1

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Regarding Somerset, your spot on, certainly Bridgwater has a large City following. Unfortunately not as big as Man U and Liverpool though. Sometimes I wonder if I live in the north fn west!

Would agree about the Southern parts of Somerset. Whilst watching the cricket over the summer there will be City, Yeovil, Exeter and Plymouth supporters, thankfully only know of 1 Rovers fan - sadly he travels with me 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nathredwood said:

Is Jordanian football really that bad ? 

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Gloucester has an unholy mess of plastics and egg chasers. A valiant City contingent try and spread the gospel.