IGNORED

Sports Bar rebrand

CyderInACan

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Yeah totally, I remember years ago in the Luckwell there'd be Men's Darts on a Monday, Crib on a Tuesday, Pool on Wednesday, Ladie's darts on a Thursday (always with a decent raffle too) and then a good old fashioned Meat Raffle on a Sunday. That kept the till ticking over. Also a singer in on a Saturday night too. 

Plus clive hall top entertainment ????

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Yeah totally, I remember years ago in the Luckwell there'd be Men's Darts on a Monday, Crib on a Tuesday, Pool on Wednesday, Ladie's darts on a Thursday (always with a decent raffle too) and then a good old fashioned Meat Raffle on a Sunday. That kept the till ticking over. Also a singer in on a Saturday night too. 

The Rising Sun is a good sized pub, could open its doors to different groups during the day. There’s the park opposite, do any of the teams/clubs who use it need somewhere to go afterwards?
…I think I’ve been watching too much ‘Hotel Inspector’

• Admin
3 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

That would be brilliant news if it reopens. Best place for a few ciders pre/post match. Always enjoyed the pub.

That will all depend on who the brewery and owners are - there are not many great pubs in that stretch anymore that haven't been ruined by turning into akin a wine bar

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

Nah it defo closed/landlord moved on.  It did look a bit rub down so it’s getting a fairly hefty refurbishment by looks of it.  I guess it depends on the brewery co.. it could easily be another short lived revival 

I've only been in the Coopers on a non match day a couple of times, and it was quiet. The "New Riser" will have to go some to get enough people though the door to make money. Better these days with Rugby making a possible good day every week during the season, rather than every other week as it was. That usually means food, and that usually means less Pub like. But doesn't necessarily mean crap , finger crossed for a good balance. Get the pricing right and they could grab a chunk of the local trade.

5 minutes ago, TomF said:

With the old brewery development starting last couple of weeks could be getting an increase in locals so to speak. However the completion on north street is pretty tough. Bars pretty much every 100 yards the whole length now 

Yep, and that little stretch opposite the park doesn't get much foot traffic. If they do it right, and maybe use the little carpark in front well, they could do a good summer trade. But it has had so many owners in my time, not an easy thing to get right these days. Not least for the reason you said.

An application for new signage has been made by stonegate group, which, if you go by what they state on their website, sounds like it could be in good hands…….

Originally formed in 2010 with 333 pubs, Stonegate Group is now the largest pub company in the UK following 12 major acquisitions. Our vast portfolio is now home to over 4,500 sites which range from Leased & Tenanted to Managed. We strongly believe that the pub is the heart of the British culture and we strive to deliver fantastic customer experience.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Magger1 said:

Rising sun could be a great boozer again , holds a couple of hundred in back yard on match days as well as a couple hundred inside MASSIVE BOOZER for city and I hope it gets used well by the RIGHT PEOPLE before and after games 

Care to elaborate? That sounds instantly divisive. 

7 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

In the last few years been in the rising sun, about 6 times.

Dunno if its me, but they dont seem to have many regs, like the coopers on non football days.

I used to work 2 doors down from the sun in the 90s when pat ran it.

Was a well used pub on non match days then, plenty of regs.

I could get my wife's Uncle Reg to go if that would help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RedRaw said:

An application for new signage has been made by stonegate group, which, if you go by what they state on their website, sounds like it could be in good hands…….

Originally formed in 2010 with 333 pubs, Stonegate Group is now the largest pub company in the UK following 12 major acquisitions. Our vast portfolio is now home to over 4,500 sites which range from Leased & Tenanted to Managed. We strongly believe that the pub is the heart of the British culture and we strive to deliver fantastic customer experience.

Hmm. Stonegate bought and refurbed the Market House in Glastonbury, which is now a big open warehouse-like space, where they don't serve bitter. They own the Ram in Claverton Street in Bath, which is similar.

According to their website their Bristol pubs include the White Hart in Bedminster Parade and the Victoria Park.  Never been in either. Can any Bristol drinkers give a review? 

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Hmm. Stonegate bought and refurbed the Market House in Glastonbury, which is now a big open warehouse-like space, where they don't serve bitter. They own the Ram in Claverton Street in Bath, which is similar.

According to their website their Bristol pubs include the White Hart in Bedminster Parade and the Victoria Park.  Never been in either. Can any Bristol drinkers give a review? 

Two very different pubs, Victoria Park being more of a food gastropub, and the White Hart turning more into a club on weekend nights. Neither are anything like an open warehouse though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bloody hell that is rare nowadays! Most places will have (at least) something like Doom Bar or similar. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Victoria Park is a decent community gastropub, reasonable selection of beer, good food, pizza oven out the back and nice garden. Usually pretty busy especially at the weekends.

White Hart got taken over recently I think and refurbished (sort of). It's kind of a Wetherspoons wannabe from what I can tell, pretty cheap beer, live sports, sourz shots and karaoke at the weekend.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Victoria Park is a decent community gastropub, reasonable selection of beer, good food, pizza oven out the back and nice garden. Usually pretty busy especially at the weekends.

White Hart got taken over recently I think and refurbished (sort of). It's kind of a Wetherspoons wannabe from what I can tell, pretty cheap beer, live sports, sourz shots and karaoke at the weekend.

I had always assumed that the Victoria was a local indie as it had that kind of feel, shows what I know!   
Guessing the Riser will be modelled more on the White Hart but who knows. 

17 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

That sounds more like the Market House now.  It's a wannabe Walkabout, and I noticed Stonebridge now operate several Walkabouts.

Mind you, it was a pretty rubbish pub before. ?

22 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Bloody hell that is rare nowadays! Most places will have (at least) something like Doom Bar or similar. 

I think that bar next to Za-Za Bazar on the Waterfront is another such. Certainly there was no bitter on tap when I went there on a pub crawl a few years back. Cue 12 blokes turning around and walking straight out. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lenred said:

I had always assumed that the Victoria was a local indie as it had that kind of feel, shows what I know!   
Guessing the Riser will be modelled more on the White Hart but who knows. 

Me too!

My partner used to live nearby so we used to go there a lot (along with the Star and Dove). Maybe it got taken over when the garden got redone or something? They put quite a bit of money into it by the look of things,