IGNORED

Messi

Lorenzos Only Goal

Just now, pride of the west said:

Agreed. Go out as an absolute legend and play for nothing. His sponsorship deals alone would probably still make him the highest paid player in the league. 

He can't actually. Spanish employment laws mean there can't be a deduction in wage of more than 50%. if you half his wages he was on, he would still keep them over the % that would allow Barcelona to register him.

The lack of belief that a man who has spent 21 years of his life at a club, departing this club against his will and will go down to me and most others as the best of all time, cried at a press conference is really sour. He was earning obscene money, yes, but not everyone in football is heartless. 

3 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

The lack of belief that a man who has spent 21 years of his life at a club, departing this club against his will and will go down to me and most others as the best of all time, cried at a press conference is really sour. He was earning obscene money, yes, but not everyone in football is heartless. 

He literally held Barca to ransom every summer to keep getting higher deals , now they are in the shit and can’t afford to pay him big wages he’s leaving and not taking a wage drop for the team he so say loves dearly

54 minutes ago, grifty said:

He can't actually. Spanish employment laws mean there can't be a deduction in wage of more than 50%. if you half his wages he was on, he would still keep them over the % that would allow Barcelona to register him.

Surely there's an ability for him to waive that? Same as every contract in the UK says "I accept that I might have to work for more than 48 hours a week, even though that's the legal limit."

25 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

He literally held Barca to ransom every summer to keep getting higher deals , now they are in the shit and can’t afford to pay him big wages he’s leaving and not taking a wage drop for the team he so say loves dearly

It’s well documented that he was taking a 50% decrease to sign for them again. 
He can go anywhere in the world for probably more than the full wage he was already on. Clubs are queuing up to talk to him.
He was clearly emotionally moved by the standing ovation and applause he got at the press conference, his wife and three children were at the front looking at him, that was no act, clearly genuine. 

1 minute ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s well documented that he was taking a 50% decrease to sign for them again. 

It's also well documented that he wouldn't have been able to do so due to La Liga rules and Spanish laws.

I've no doubt he loves Barcelona. But he loves money more. 

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

He could always reduce his demands and stay if he wanted. He must have more than enough money to do whatever he wants for the rest of his and his families lives.

4 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It's also well documented that he wouldn't have been able to do so due to La Liga rules and Spanish laws.

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

Agreed. Go out as an absolute legend and play for nothing. His sponsorship deals alone would probably still make him the highest paid player in the league. 

Even if he played for nothing (rumours are he offered to play for free), it still would’ve been blocked by La Liga because Barca are THAT far over their wage bill 

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

This week, he and Harry Kane have highlighted everything that is still wrong with football. Two greedy *******.

I’m not sure that’s fair on Harry Kane? He’s been one of the best strikers in the world for a number of years and doesn’t have a trophy to show for it. He’s outgrown Spurs, is 28 so it’s becoming a case of now or never. 

Bloke has spent 20 years at Barcelona and won it all. He’s entitled to be a bit upset about leaving. Money is irrelevant.

As been explained elsewhere and many times previously, it isn’t just a case of him accepting a new contract on reduced terms.

He’s arguably the greatest there has ever been or ever will be. Don’t go comparing him or this situation to Luke Freeman or any other player.

Just now, Coppello said:

I’m not sure that’s fair on Harry Kane? He’s been one of the best strikers in the world for a number of years and doesn’t have a trophy to show for it. He’s outgrown Spurs, is 28 so it’s becoming a case of now or never. 

Funny that Messi's agent is his father. Kane's agent is his brother. Both players have found themselves in a right pickle.

Kane inexplicably signed a 6 year deal then gave credence to a verbal agreement with Levy - embarrassing. 

Messi, formerly convicted of tax fraud, didn't have the clarity of mind to see that Barcelona couldn't afford him, then sobbed while his dad rang around the wealthiest clubs in the world to see who could afford to further enlarge his already obese wealth.

Whilst I don't condone super agents, it makes you wonder how different their careers would have been in a safer pair of hands.

32 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It wasn’t well documented enough till very recently, as far as the club were concerned the deal had been sorted.

Also, if money is that important to him, do you not think a number of clubs would have paid him far more than Barcelona did, if he had wanted to leave over the last 15 years.

Archived