IGNORED

Messi

Lorenzos Only Goal

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It wasn’t well documented enough till very recently, as far as the club were concerned the deal had been sorted.

So they say. I find it hard to believe a club like Barcelona would be unaware of league rules and the country's laws.

33 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It's also well documented that he wouldn't have been able to do so due to La Liga rules and Spanish laws.

I've no doubt he loves Barcelona. But he loves money more. 

I thought he offered to drop 50% but that still wouldn't have worked for Barca's finance, and that he couldn't drop any further due to Spanish employment rules. I don't fully understand it but I'd like to think he tried what he could to stay. 

Barcelona and the wage bill bit...that is in part an arbitrary number tying into Covid- it's not so much FFP as literally wage limits. Still it might be for the best for them in the long run if under absolute restrictions.

Interesting line coming out though...wonder if the EC/UEFA will act upon it?

https://barcauniversal.com/barcelona-file-a-complaint-against-psg-to-block-leo-messi-move/

24 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

So they say. I find it hard to believe a club like Barcelona would be unaware of league rules and the country's laws.

Possibly thought there would be greater leeway and for longer on the % of wages/revenue- however exactly it's calculated- due to Covid.

For context, they had the highest Revenue in World Football ie of the big clubs in 2019/20 and La Liga have slashed their permitted wage bill in the last 2-3 years.

Credit SwissRamble:

These two Tweets are key:

In short, a 2/3 cut in 2 seasons...maybe a 75% and upwards cut. SOME of it will/must be Covid related.

I do have to ask, what % of this cut/forced cut is artificial ie temporary and brought about by Covid- Revenue will bounce back although to what extent clearly unknown.

@TonyTonyTony

You often refer to Barcelona as a basket case but I do have to ask, how would PL wage/transfer allowances be affected were the same regs applied here? Clearly there has been significant mismanagement too but Covid at a time of a large short term debt is the worst timing.

Interested in your thoughts as to whether PL spending would be dampened down if these Salary Regs existed in times of Covid.

Barcelona overspent on their wages for years for Messi to stay, they couldn't replace the irreplaceable Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Guardiola and Dani Alves. They have had to get rid of players (Villa, Suarez, Neymar, Coutinho) to keep themselves onside with Spanish law. That's all from what I understand.

Messi is the best player ever imo, he is also Barcelona's greatest ever, the club owe him nothing and they should have nothing but gratitude for everything he did for them. Am I into emotional interviews? Not really, but I would say it is understandable if you were forced to leave the club you love (Bristol City in our cases). 

Not sure why his wages need to come into occasion, he wouldn't be allowed to play even if Barcelona didn't pay him.

I'd say a pretty sad sight to see the best player of all time leave his club in that manner.

7 hours ago, Coppello said:

I’m not sure that’s fair on Harry Kane? He’s been one of the best strikers in the world for a number of years and doesn’t have a trophy to show for it. He’s outgrown Spurs, is 28 so it’s becoming a case of now or never. 

I dont have an issue for Harry to want to move to a club that will improve his chances of winning a medal. However, how he's gone about it (not turning up for training) and appearing to be trying to force a move shows huge disrespect to the fans/club that pay his wages. End of the day he's under contract and he has to respect that. Only now returning to training when it appears a deal is less likely after they signed Grealish.  

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

I dont have an issue for Harry to want to move to a club that will improve his chances of winning a medal. However, how he's gone about it (not turning up for training) and appearing to be trying to force a move shows huge disrespect to the fans/club that pay his wages. End of the day he's under contract and he has to respect that. Only now returning to training when it appears a deal is less likely after they signed Grealish.  

If he genuinely feels like Levy has gone back on his word then I don't blame him

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

If he genuinely feels like Levy has gone back on his word then I don't blame him

Perhaps Levy agreed to let him go but Man City haven't offered the acceptable (or agreed) amount? Levy would be within his right to say no/not until the agreed price is met, then I'll let you go with good wishes. (I would hope Landsdown would do the same with such an important asset). The player isn't bigger than the club in my opinion.

What isn't OK (again, in my opinion) is for players to not report for training when they should (unless injured/or with club approval). To me, it appears he was throwing his toys out the pram to try to force a move through and is now only returning to training (with his excuse) because the transfer may not be quite as simple to complete and he wants to try to repair/save his reputation at Spurs and with the fans.

I'm sure the transfer will still go through but it feels like a bad way to end his time at Spurs.

I don't get the law about the 50% salary reduction. Surely if he is a free agent, he is no longer subject to it because it is not a renewal of his existing contract?

If he was still under contract and was then offered an adjustment at, for example, a 75% reduction, then I can understand where that rule would apply. But as he is unattached to any club, I don't understand how it can apply. No doubt there's some crappy by-law that was brought in 100 years ago which nobody thought would ever come in to force. 

7 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I don't get the law about the 50% salary reduction. Surely if he is a free agent, he is no longer subject to it because it is not a renewal of his existing contract?

If he was still under contract and was then offered an adjustment at, for example, a 75% reduction, then I can understand where that rule would apply. But as he is unattached to any club, I don't understand how it can apply. No doubt there's some crappy by-law that was brought in 100 years ago which nobody thought would ever come in to force. 

It's not just that rule though. Even with him on nothing Barca are c.20% higher than the wage cap and are barred from registering new players. They'd need to get rid of some high earners as well to be able to register players again, even if Messi was playing for 100% free.

Not really into emotional interviews either, but that probably says more about me. It’s very easy to judge him but I doubt any of us know what really went on in any ‘negotiations’ and certainly don’t know what’s going on in his mind.

I’d imagine the tears were much more about the past than not being able to play for them in the future; he has had such a career and so many moments at Barca. As well as being part of arguably the best club side of all time. 

I read rumours that PSG have pinched our idea for unveiling him as their new signing: just upping the ante a bit by using the Eiffel Tower instead of the South Stand roof.

33 minutes ago, The Batman said:

It would be a similar rule to in the UK about being made redundant and then re-hired, when it should be a TUPE transfer.

Becoming a free agent and then making a new contract offer is just a way to circumvent the law, however it's extremely obvious and one I'm sure was thought of when the employment law was made.

TUPE law is from 2006, so not really 100 years old and was also brought in to protect the employee from being screwed by the employer so not really crappy either.

It's easy to say when you're a billionaire crime fighter though.

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Not really into emotional interviews either, but that probably says more about me. It’s very easy to judge him but I doubt any of us know what really went on in any ‘negotiations’ and certainly don’t know what’s going on in his mind.

I’d imagine the tears were much more about the past than not being able to play for them in the future; he has had such a career and so many moments at Barca. As well as being part of arguably the best club side of all time. 

I read rumours that PSG have pinched our idea for unveiling him as their new signing: just upping the ante a bit by using the Eiffel Tower instead of the South Stand roof.

I really hope he doesn't go to PSG. Poor league and not much to like about that team

Archived