IGNORED

Scoring Centre-Backs

The Original OTIB

It won't be Kalas (especially when he's throwing it), it won't be Baker (based on what we've seen), could it be Atkinson? We damn well need extra goals so surely they are working on hitting him from set pieces.  I've not seen that so far. Yes, Flint is/was a bit of an anomaly, but surely one of or big lads can get a few and surely we can work on that. Was Flint coached or was it just his natural, aggressive way? How many headed goals have we scored from set pieces post Flint?

1 minute ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Flint was better than most of the strikers we've had since for scoring headers!

His height was a massive advantage obviously, Kalas hasn't got the size to get above opposition centre backs on a regular basis.

That's partly my point, Atkinson is about 6' 3" I think. Part of it is natural spring, of course, see Sergio Ramos, for example (only 6', I believe). Does Atkinson "Spring" I wonder, or is he largely a static unit?

12 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

It won't be Kalas (especially when he's throwing it), it won't be Baker (based on what we've seen), could it be Atkinson? We damn well need extra goals so surely they are working on hitting him from set pieces.  I've not seen that so far. Yes, Flint is/was a bit of an anomaly, but surely one of or big lads can get a few and surely we can work on that. Was Flint coached or was it just his natural, aggressive way? How many headed goals have we scored from set pieces post Flint?

Not sure how many center backs since Flint left but there will be others that can google this info. It is a different game now from many years ago around center backs.

Many years back City always had some great center backs that moved up when corners were taken like Collier, Rodgers back in the golden years

Just now, City oz said:

Not sure how many center backs since Flint left but there will be others that can google this info. It is a different game now from many years ago around center backs.

Many years back City always had some great center backs that moved up when corners were taken like Collier, Rodgers back in the golden years

Not a different game for Flint, still scoring!

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Not a centre-back.

I suppose what any one thoughts are in what is actually a centre back position these days.  More apparent know where formations change week in and week out. Years ago it was normally a 4-4-2. Or a 4-3-3. Now some times a 4- 3- 2-1. 

Any way a center back to me was a number 5 or 6 shirt 

Flint is a far better player than many on here gave him credit for. How many centre backs have scores a perfect hat trick and 20 goals in a season? Not many, even amongst those who take penalties (which Flint doesn’t). Most of our strikers in the past few years have a lower strike rate than Flint.

As Baker is the only player left from the time of Flint here and played centre back with him during our best period in 2017/18, then NP should be trying to get the lowdown from him, and potentially how to both target Flint and stop him.

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Flint is a far better player than many on here gave him credit for. How many centre backs have scores a perfect hat trick and 20 goals in a season? Not many, even amongst those who take penalties (which Flint doesn’t). Most of our strikers in the past few years have a lower strike rate than Flint.

As Baker is the only player left from the time of Flint here and played centre back with him during our best period in 2017/18, then NP should be trying to get the lowdown from him, and potentially how to both target Flint and stop him.

Completely agree. I think Flint was superb, and improved massively during his time at City. His goal-scoring exploits (the variety as well as quantity) in that promotion season - we’re unlikely to ever see anything like that again from a centre back. 

Archived