IGNORED

Came across this post Luton

DT The Optimist

Its an interesting listen, particularly in respect of us, and very respectful.... and what a decent side we are with great players.  It is worth a listen.  I warmed to the guy.  Strange how never worked out for him at Stoke but done a good job at Luton who i thought were the best this season at the gate.

9 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Its an interesting listen, particularly in respect of us, and very respectful.... and what a decent side we are with great players.  It is worth a listen.  I warmed to the guy.  Strange how never worked out for him at Stoke but done a good job at Luton who i thought were the best this season at the gate.

Some good comments in there wasn’t there?

10 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Doing a very good job at Luton.

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It was such a poor performance from us first half. They have injuries and we started quite brightly but blimey that was so poor them having so many good chances.

2nd half was better. But overall we had one good chance and they had loads of them. Preston was a bit better but we should have lost too.

I liked that interview. He has done a very good job with Luton.

It’s interesting the view of the first half.  We had 11 shots first half (2 second half) versus 12 for Luton (6 second half) - BBC website.  I’m not saying it was great btw…for me it was more that we conceded chances in batches (3s n 4s).  I thought bar their opening salvo, it was fine for 30 minutes, a bit slow but ok.

This is why I like E361’s xG graphics….not for the xG. But the flow of chances.  Sometimes you can create really good positions without getting a shot, so always treat with caution.

26A5BE5D-D451-4659-8FAC-A087B78E3E27.thumb.jpeg.2b5ebda88c3e4b27af94acb339f1d29a.jpeg

So the timeline shows reasonable parity across the opening half hour, and then thankfully we were grateful to get in at h-t 0-0.  Not arguing that.

Again, the opening 20 mins of the second half, they did nothing, we controlled a fair bit of the game, scored. Great!

Then they had another flurry, we saw it through (phew), brought King on, job done….almost.

If we can limit a team to one chance when they create, not 3 or 4 I think it will give the whole complexion of our performance a different feel.  Can’t remember the exact sequence, but for example we concede a really good chance, they get another chance, we half clear, cross comes in from the left and Jerome glances wide.  It’s that kinda stuff we need to cut out….learn how to take the sting out of the game.

From Wyscout:

Batch 1:

image.png.dfdd58392a22bd5b0c6b00d29b580522.png

Batch 2:

image.png.52ac18fa7e3b953140080cf3c2597b6d.png

Batch 3:

image.png.e96aae42064a2baf7233e00118987290.png

Batch 4:

5F36F51F-8655-4003-8427-2846A06B56FC.jpeg.e5215b15f105d34ba01200961d65d5b2.jpeg

Worked with him when I was at Yeovil Town, one of the most driven, passionate men I have ever met in football. Supremely fit, finished in top ten of Yeovil half marathon after he'd retired, he demands of hs players but doesn't ask more than he knows they can offer.

Yeovil dropped a clanger letting him go; they had Gary Johnson, Terry Skiverton, Darren Way and Jonesy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Way should have gone. Instead, Jonesy felt he was a spare part & that his coaching career would have been stunted so left his comfort zone and went to Brighton, then Charlton. 

Best of all, he is a bloody good human being too. 

Archived