IGNORED

Kasey Palmer’s finish

Fordy62

11 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Not arguing - plenty of people have said he was offside including the pundits on Quest last night, but didn’t their keeper play him back on from the original save? I thought that if the ball came off an opposition player then you were no longer offside? Van Nistelrooy made a rather successful career from that type of goal poaching. 
Have the rules changed or do I simply not understand them?

I understood it that he was gaining an advantage by being offside and it was the same phase of play. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Not arguing - plenty of people have said he was offside including the pundits on Quest last night, but didn’t their keeper play him back on from the original save? I thought that if the ball came off an opposition player then you were no longer offside? Van Nistelrooy made a rather successful career from that type of goal poaching. 

You are no longer offside if an opposition player makes a deliberate attempt to play the ball, which then goes to you in what what otherwise have been an offside position…other than if it is the result of a save, which is explicit in the rules.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I fear it is the latter.

The importance of the word ‘last’ touch depends on whether or not such touch was deliberate or a save (whether by the goalkeeper or a defender is immaterial).

The misjudged header by Taylor Moore against Middlesbrough was a deliberate ‘touch’ and allowed the previously offside Assembonga (spelling) to go on to score.

Yesterday, Palmer was offside when Martin shot, and the goalkeeper’s intervention was a save, rather than a deliberate touch, so he remained offside when he shot.

Ergo, the goal should have been disallowed for offside.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

They changed years ago.

Man U players can’t be offside if their manager says so, they are entitled to a penalty every single game (sometimes 2, again, depending on their manager’s view) & it’s unfair if the opposition try to put their player off when he’s taking it, apparently..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I fear it is the latter.

The importance of the word ‘last’ touch depends on whether or not such touch was deliberate or a save (whether by the goalkeeper or a defender is immaterial).

The misjudged header by Taylor Moore against Middlesbrough was a deliberate ‘touch’ and allowed the previously offside Assembonga (spelling) to go on to score.

Yesterday, Palmer was offside when Martin shot, and the goalkeeper’s intervention was a save, rather than a deliberate touch, so he remained offside when he shot.

Ergo, the goal should have been disallowed for offside.

I get you - so a save isn’t classed as a ‘deliberate attempt to play the ball’ then - even though it is??!!!

A block by a defender however would be??

again, not arguing- just trying to understand. 

EDIT - ignore. Just read Cityexile’s post -  and re-read yours properly!! :)

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Clarify

For me KP45 is a talented player. It is up to him (as it has throughout his career) to get that balance and consistency in his game. He is another example of good man management by Nige. He's got a great attitude and that overall feeling of togetherness as a squad is becoming stronger by the week.

It will be interesting to see if he's done enough in the manager's view  to start next week.

• Like 1

Undoubtedly offside.

I think the lino didn't see Palmer as he was directly in line with Weimann from his perspective, when Palmer went for the ball the Fulham defenders were back, with number 6 in line with him. Ref was behind play so couldn't give it offside.

God knows how KP managed to squeeze that ball between the post and keeper.

The team deserved that bit of luck.

7 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I get you - so a save isn’t classed as a ‘deliberate attempt to play the ball’ then - even though it is??!!!

A block by a defender however would be??

again, not arguing- just trying to understand. 

EDIT - ignore. Just read Cityexile’s post -  and re-read yours properly!! :)

It’s very open to interpretation like most things in football but a save is exempt from the “deliberate attempt” rule.

I believe a block/deflection also doesn’t count if it just hits the defender, but if he swings a leg or tries/reaches to make a clearance, block, pass etc then it’s a deliberate attempt. Taylor Moore / assambolonga is a good example of it

• Like 1

On his day Palmer is without doubt good enough for the Premier League, unfortunately as we all know though it rarely seems to click for him.. If anyone is going to get the best out of him it will be Pearson IMO. Maybe with the right man management he could turn into the player we all know he is capable of becoming..?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

What a great post match interview too. Pearson is a gem for us , I personally love the attitude that players are showing, how they work together. We have much to improve, but every week we get better. When these players get confidence, they will improve, and we will really just get better and better. I do not think for one second we are playing how Pearson really wants us to play, in the sense he is trying to use what we have and use it to best of our ability, but heck it is so refreshing to see a City side playing with desire and commitment. I love it. Big call, but I am totally convinced that NP will get us to the Prem. We actually look like we have the basics now , the core of what a Prem side looks like, in the sense of organisation, fitness and commitment. we will add the magic as the next step.  I know some do not see it, but I am very excited about where we are heading. This is what should have happened after SC. but 5 years too late, we are on the right road now. We We look like a professional team now. We lack some magic dust, but we are very close. I think we will be very very close to top 6 this season. Forget top 2 , but top 6 , we can do it. 

I totally agree. I also think that when we do get up we will have enough about us to survive. At least for the first season. It just feels like NP knows exactly what he’s doing. We just need to keep the faith and trust him.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Swede said:

For me KP45 is a talented player. It is up to him (as it has throughout his career) to get that balance and consistency in his game. He is another example of good man management by Nige. He's got a great attitude and that overall feeling of togetherness as a squad is becoming stronger by the week.

It will be interesting to see if he's done enough in the manager's view  to start next week.

He gets labelled as lazy. I saw an OTIB reference to being on a “Caribbean beach” this week - which is very lazy thinking and referencing. (Maybe a trip to the mumbles). I’ve seen criticism of his wife’s/ partner’s Instagram activity - which is very lazy stereotyping.

There persists the idea that he is a fancy Dan, taking the money to live a fast life. In reality he is a family man with kids, who possibly goes to church on Sundays. 

There seems to be an assumption that, because he can play the Glenn Hoddle / Xavi / Toure / your fav player/ pass he somehow decides not to be part of the team or is above “putting in a shift” like a good honest player. 

I just don’t think he has been coached for an all round game. I wonder what those premier league academies really do beyond manage the farm. 

I hate the game of “question the player motivation because if I was on that per week”.  There guys are well paid but they want to achieve. Very few go though the motions. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, fairweather said:

He gets labelled as lazy. I saw an OTIB reference to being on a “Caribbean beach” this week - which is very lazy thinking and referencing. (Maybe a trip to the mumbles). I’ve seen criticism of his wife’s/ partner’s Instagram activity - which is very lazy stereotyping.

There persists the idea that he is a fancy Dan, taking the money to live a fast life. In reality he is a family man with kids, who possibly goes to church on Sundays. 

There seems to be an assumption that, because he can play the Glenn Hoddle / Xavi / Toure / your fav player/ pass he somehow decides not to be part of the team or is above “putting in a shift” like a good honest player. 

I just don’t think he has been coached for an all round game. I wonder what those premier league academies really do beyond manage the farm. 

I hate the game of “question the player motivation because if I was on that per week”.  There guys are well paid but they want to achieve. Very few go though the motions. 

Great post.

Palmer has always worked hard.  Inefficiently? Absolutely.  Not always fit enough / stamina to last a game? Yep.  But I’d never accuse him of being work-shy.  He might stroll occasionally, I saw Andreas Weimann do it twice on Saturday!!!

To me he looks like “another” player who’s coasted through age-group football, and the reality of senior football is different.  There is no disgrace in being a Championship squad player.  It’s not his fault he cost £3.5m and if we could negotiate our own wages and get £20k+ p.w. so be it.

I’d rather not jump on our own player’s backs.  On occasion you can question effort of several players, certainly last season, and you’d argue why aren’t they motivated.  There will be a variety of wages.  But surely we’ve all gone through the motions a bit in our jobs too.  Also, worth remembering that we only see a small fraction of their weekly work.

And finally re Church on a Sunday…..he also watched the Vixens at Failand, along with Tyreeq.  Not the first time he has either.  Little things!

• Like 5

I’d love to ask Nige directly what a player has to do earn a midfield starting place. 

He has a plethora of options to select from - Massengo, Weimann, Williams, Palmer, Bakinson, James, King, Pring et el.

He’d probably say it’s about having the right attitude, performing well in training and being committed to the squad ethos and taking your chance when you get it.

Did Palmer do enough in his cameo on Saturday?  We’ll know midweek.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’d love to ask Nige directly what a player has to do earn a midfield starting place. 

He has a plethora of options to select from - Massengo, Weimann, Williams, Palmer, Bakinson, James, King, Pring et el.

He’d probably say it’s about having the right attitude, performing well in training and being committed to the squad ethos and taking your chance when you get it.

Did Palmer do enough in his cameo on Saturday?  We’ll know midweek.

Think much also depends on those who started and therefore have possession of the shirt too.  Did they do enough to retain their shirt.  You could argue Bakinson didn’t have a great game nor Pring.  But Nige has said he won’t necessarily drop someone for one poor game either.

So I don’t think Palmer not starting on Wednesday is something to read lots into.  As a forum we are great at coming up with stuff / reading into stuff, to justify selection / non-selection in our minds.  As you well know we don’t get to see the training ground, the sports science, etc

Its really interesting to observe / listen to Nige.  He made some comment about O’Dowda last week along the lines of “he’s someone that the fans perceive should be in / around the starting eleven”.  Very careful wording.  Very non-committal.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think much also depends on those who started and therefore have possession of the shirt too.  Did they do enough to retain their shirt.  You could argue Bakinson didn’t have a great game nor Pring.  But Nige has said he won’t necessarily drop someone for one poor game either.

So I don’t think Palmer not starting on Wednesday is something to read lots into.  As a forum we are great at coming up with stuff / reading into stuff, to justify selection / non-selection in our minds.  As you well know we don’t get to see the training ground, the sports science, etc

Its really interesting to observe / listen to Nige.  He made some comment about O’Dowda last week along the lines of “he’s someone that the fans perceive should be in / around the starting eleven”.  Very careful wording.  Very non-committal.  

Crucially, it seems to me that selection is more about our players - strengths, form, how we want to play etc - than constantly changing in order to counter the opposition. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nige is a clever, thoughtful and very professional guy and I for one could listen to him talking football all day. 

I might hang around Nailsea Tesco hoping to bump into him as Red Squirrel did!

• Like 2

One thing that having a choice of midfield players does, is allow players to be that little bit fresher and not to have to play while carrying an injury. 

I like that Nige used the term, "genuine options", players that will give you a similar level of performance to the player they replaced, rather than someone "who can do a job".

I think we will see COD for Pring tomorrow night for this reason.