IGNORED

Championship this season is a joke

Baldyman

4 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Perhaps making it compulsory that all player contracts contain a very large salary reduction in the event of relegation would help.

Although, quite a lot already have wage flexing built into contracts in the event of relegation. Do you think Norwich, Sheffield United and Watford eg wouldn't? West Brom surely do. Most also sell key assets although I also believe reform is needed.

Think I even read that Bournemouth did with all but 5, but they managed to sell 3 in the Summer window of 2020 offload a 4th in Jan and Begovic left in Summer 2021.

Rodwell obviously didn't but I believe any prudent club would in general.

The one I don't get is Fulham. They sold virtually nobody of note this summer, retained the wages of Mitrovic, added Gazzaniaga, Wilson and Muniz, Silva may not be on tiny wages yet all seems well? Chalobah and someone else from Watford as well joined on deadline day.

Fulham I do not get. Could be a bit of a go up now or hit the buffers type scenario.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Said before but you could keep Parachute Payments but ring-fence for specific issues, perhaps treat it as loans, or cash flow except for the amount equivalent to Championship Solidarity Payments.

Rest is excluded from Profit and Loss, hits Balance Sheet, Cash Flow kinda thing but suddenly you're looking at either significantly more cutbacks more quickly or restraint having to be shown by Championship clubs in order to stay within FFP and enforced through EFL monitoring if needed.

Thereby helping with the competitive balance.

Yes, but look what happens when they go up. Norwich walked the Championship last season but are getting slaughtered this, WBA, Fulham and now Bournemouth up and down like Irene's drawers. Sheffield United had one good season before the inevitable drop, Brentford enjoying their 5 minutes of glory before the big boys push them back down. 

Agreed, massive gap between the Championship top 3 and the rest, but even bigger gap to survive and thrive in the Premier League. Fair play to Palace and Brighton for breaking the glass ceiling ?

• Like 1

Not having a match day income has screwed up the balance of a league which was already dysfunctional. According to this article Championship clubs are spending a lot less on transfers than they were a couple of years ago, premier league transfer fees (not the net spend just the money going out) were down 9% and 11% in the past 2 seasons but championship clubs were down 38% and 64%.

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/press-releases/articles/premier-league-clubs-spend-1-1-billion-in-summer.html

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Not having a match day income has screwed up the balance of a league which was already dysfunctional. According to this article Championship clubs are spending a lot less on transfers than they were a couple of years ago, premier league transfer fees (not the net spend just the money going out) were down 9% and 11% in the past 2 seasons but championship clubs were down 38% and 64%.

https://www2.deloitte.com/uk/en/pages/press-releases/articles/premier-league-clubs-spend-1-1-billion-in-summer.html

Interesting article. The Harry Wilson deal is supposedly a one year loan with obligation to buy for £12m next summer. 

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree and disagree.

In many ways I agree with your post but and this isn't to knock SL at all, a) Covid lost revenue is excluded from FFP and b) If the owner is willing and able they can make good the shortfall and keep financing to pre Covid levels, subject to FFP of course. Stoke perhaps an example?

Also the loss for all clubs in, 2019/20 and 2020/21 is added and then halved.

I don't understand what a) is? How is 'lost revenue' calculated and is it then taken off our annual loss as used for FFP?

53 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Yes, but look what happens when they go up. Norwich walked the Championship last season but are getting slaughtered this, WBA, Fulham and now Bournemouth up and down like Irene's drawers. Sheffield United had one good season before the inevitable drop, Brentford enjoying their 5 minutes of glory before the big boys push them back down. 

Agreed, massive gap between the Championship top 3 and the rest, but even bigger gap to survive and thrive in the Premier League. Fair play to Palace and Brighton for breaking the glass ceiling ?

I think Brentford might still do okay and tbh given their relative lack of spending in the summer vs significantly increased revenues plus good FFP headroom I am surprised that they did not spend more, their squad looks thin in a few key positions.

Bournemouth on paper shouldn't have dropped IMO, I also would suggest that Watford on paper had a good enough squad to survive in 2019/20- not blaming NP, the damage was done before he arrived.

48 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Brentford might still do okay and tbh given their relative lack of spending in the summer vs significantly increased revenues plus good FFP headroom I am surprised that they did not spend more, their squad looks thin in a few key positions.

Bournemouth on paper shouldn't have dropped IMO, I also would suggest that Watford on paper had a good enough squad to survive in 2019/20- not blaming NP, the damage was done before he arrived.

He gave them a fighting chance of staying up in fairness.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He gave them a fighting chance of staying up in fairness.

For sure, worded badly by me- damage was done by the prior two managers and he nearly retrieved the situation.

I'm suggesting though that man for man, and credit to him for nearly retrieving it, the prior 2 managers shouldn't have steered them down there- same side that reached Cup final and finished 10th or 11th, then added Dawson, Sarr and Welbeck.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Although, quite a lot already have wage flexing built into contracts in the event of relegation. Do you think Norwich, Sheffield United and Watford eg wouldn't? West Brom surely do. Most also sell key assets although I also believe reform is needed.

Think I even read that Bournemouth did with all but 5, but they managed to sell 3 in the Summer window of 2020 offload a 4th in Jan and Begovic left in Summer 2021.

Rodwell obviously didn't but I believe any prudent club would in general.

The one I don't get is Fulham. They sold virtually nobody of note this summer, retained the wages of Mitrovic, added Gazzaniaga, Wilson and Muniz, Silva may not be on tiny wages yet all seems well? Chalobah and someone else from Watford as well joined on deadline day.

Fulham I do not get. Could be a bit of a go up now or hit the buffers type scenario.

Perhaps thats why Parker left

• Like 1

The Norwich case study is interesting. I struggle to see how Brentford and Watford have in the space of a few months, become massively better sides than them. Yet the gap is 8 and 10 pts respectively already.

Some writer asked in The Game yesterday where the fight, endeavour and ability,  adventure that saw them go up has gone.

Don't get me wrong the gap is major but also saw it suggested that their stated ambition of being one of the top 26 clubs has basically mentally sealed their fate. Watford I accept were up for several years but seems strange that Norwich when set against say Brentford are so feeble.