IGNORED

Benarous

GrahamC

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I assume you are referring to Gerry Gow - Bristol and Manchester City.

Gerry was certainly skinny and raw when he made his first team debut, but I would suggest that GG and AB are (were) somewhat different characters - Gerry was always a confident, brash even, hard man, especially as part of that wonderful youth team, whereas I perceive AS as being more of a skilful, graceful player; not to say that GG wasn't skilful.

He only played for one City, albeit twice.

I was just trying to highlight that a twenty minute sub debut isn't the best way to decide how well an 18 years lad will progress.

Also I'm not privy to Pearson's reasons for bringing him on. What I do believe is that NP knows exactly why he gave him his debut and trust that he would not risk his football career.

If we can stay in this league at end of season, the club will benefit from the appearances last/this year by the City Academy boys.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t want to knock the kid, but how much off the standard was he?

Could see a case for taking him back off, so weak and letting his man go repeatedly.

It was like playing with 10 men, not sure he made a single positive contribution.

I hate to say this but...

I seriously worry about a manager's judgement if he thinks this kid is ready because for that 20 mins cameo we were, like you say, playing with 10 men. Then again, he replaced Bakinson, which meant we'd be playing with 10 men for the previous 70 mins anyway. Palmer would have held onto the ball better, which says it all. 

We are a shambles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jasper Testimitanu said:

Embarrassing how our ‘fans’ write a player off on 25 minutes, wasn’t the most complete performance, however it’s a start and hopefully more to come, plenty of energy and if you listened to his interview you’ll see he’s level headed enough to recognise his personal performance wasn’t at the level he wanted/expected. 

We’ve got some good young lads that will no doubt come good, fans have to play there part with a bit of reality abs patience. 

He’s not written him off. He’s merely stated that in that game and in that situation, he wasn’t ready or able to do what was required. He makes a sound tactical point and it crossed my mind, too, that AB could have been taken off. It’s not a comment about his undoubted potential, just an analysis of what was needed in the last 20 minutes. 
I agree with Graham - it was a poor choice of sub and the young lad really struggled. But good luck to him. I hope he’s got something about him. We could do with some players who get us excited because we don’t have many of them at the moment.

• Robin 1

9 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Who was your choice of sub ? Or no sub maybe ? 

Scott. 

I'd back him not to have a heavy touch virtually every time he had the ball, or choose wrong options or, extraordinarily, tackle - and flatten - his own team mate and in the process gift possession straight to the opposition in our own half (at which point, because I was looking right at him, Pearson went mental - and I mean mental).

The lad's clearly a talent but I'm struggling to remember a worse sub cameo. 

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I was surprised it was not Scott. COD no way after his useless contribution in closing out the Forest game. Bold putting on AB , NP explained why , so he thought someone fresh without baggage was needed. I'm delighted for AB and whilst it was a tough baptism I don't share the negative vibes on here. These players are the players that will form the core of any promotion side. We are not going to buy our way to the top. We also need to know what they are made of. Very very young of course but both Scott and AB look to have a great future. 

I don’t think he was anywhere near as bad as made out, but it shows how some come in and look ready (Scott, Conway) and others might need more than 25 mins (Benarous, Bell).  No shame in an 18 year old needing time to adjust, least of all in a frantic game like today.  Some of our more senior players having given far worse at times!

Its all about taking the learnings from it.  He’ll realise he has to think a bit quicker next time.

Edited by Davefevs

Just now, billywedlock said:

You don't recall Palmer and COD at our previous home game ! 

I do and I've also given up on Palmer as the answer to any of our problems - which indicates how poorly i think the young man played today.

Just telling it straight, like Pearson does Bill !

He's obviously a good player but is he ready?? Not on the evidence of that today - even if it's just for 20 mins, I expect him to control the ball and find a team mate, something he failed to do repeatedly. Never mind tackling his own team mate when we had possession which gifted the ball to Barnsley in our own half.

Not the lad's finest moment.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point that we're unlikely to buy our way to promotion and so the likes of Benarous will form the basis of any successful City side going forward.

But based on the team's performance today, that might be a successful City side that wins promotion from L1 to the Chamlionship.  

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’ll realise he has to think a bit quicker next time.

He had 1 moment where he had the ball under control and was facing up 2 defenders just outside their area.

He didn't look to just keep possession and pass backwards to a team mate (first mistake).

Instead he wanted to take them on. Fair play lad, I thought, show us what you're about.

He started to dribble... and was dispossessed like taking candy from a baby. 

As you say - absolutely everything he did needs to be quicker. Sharper. More precise.  

He's better than what he showed today.

What I question is the person who thought he was ready.

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He had 1 moment where he had the ball under control and was facing up 2 defenders just outside their area.

He didn't look to just keep possession and pass backwards to a team mate (first mistake).

Instead he wanted to take them on. Fair play lad, I thought, show us what you're about.

He started to dribble... and was dispossessed like taking candy from a baby. 

As you say - absolutely everything he did needs to be quicker. Sharper. More precise.  

He's better than what he showed today.

What I question is the person who thought he was ready.

I remember that incident…I agree.

This next comment is not about Benarous, but generally about how “match-like” training is?  I watched Callum O’Dowda skin his man 3 times in one Robinstv clip recently, and then I saw him try to “do” Joe Williams, who just put his arm across him and eased him off the ball.  That’s not having a go at O’Dowda either, but Williams for me, showed how you train at “match intensity”.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I remember that incident…I agree.

This next comment is not about Benarous, but generally about how “match-like” training is?  I watched Callum O’Dowda skin his man 3 times in one Robinstv clip recently, and then I saw him try to “do” Joe Williams, who just put his arm across him and eased him off the ball.  That’s not having a go at O’Dowda either, but Williams for me, showed how you train at “match intensity”.

I've been wanting to post something about that Failand Uncut video! 

O'Dowda looks like Messi in that video - skinning people for fun in tight spaces with incredible skill.

Who the hell is that bloke cos the fella who turns up on matchday is someone completely different!?!

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, petehinton said:

Speaks more volume about what he thinks about Bakinson’s performance and what he thinks about CO’D. Hell of a risk, and didn’t really pay off. Win is all that counts I suppose 

Yes, Bakinson and COD is not the players who is strong to defend. Im sure our young player is good. Barnsley were all over us and difficault for B to make an impact. Williams, King injured, not many players left to play in midfield. As you say, win is all that counts.

I didn't think Benarous was that bad, certainly no worse than the rest of the side, and Martin tackling him in the last few minutes was awful on Martin's part, not the other way round.

Having said that, I thought at the time it was a very strange substitution to be making, especially as Bakinson had just had his best 10 minutes of the match when he was taken off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I didn't think Benarous was that bad, certainly no worse than the rest of the side, and Martin tackling him in the last few minutes was awful on Martin's part, not the other way round.

Having said that, I thought at the time it was a very strange substitution to be making, especially as Bakinson had just had his best 10 minutes of the match when he was taken off.

I think what happens with Bakinson is Nige reacts to certain situations, there was one just in front of me in the Dolman when he made no attempt whatsoever to put a challenge in, just after he was too weak in a tackle & was taken off.

He isn’t my favourite but thought he was no poorer than others yesterday & could have stayed on, at least for another 10.

I’d have moved Weimann up top for Martin & brought on Scott first, then O’Dowda for Bakinson afterwards.

• Like 1

Fair play to him proud day for him and his family. Imagine being 17 coming on for your debut in circumstances of immense pressure for many reasons. He was bound to be nervous and that probably showed . But he done ok even our own players wanted to tackle him. Have no doubt this boy is the real deal. Well done lad

• Like 5

got to also remember its still early in the season,come christmas, i dare say we will have a few more out with injuries/isolating etc, so the more players Nige has with experience ,the better. towler out on loan is an example should pring get whacked bid time,or jd for that matter. martin will need a rest sooner or later ,imagine if wells gets a cruncher at the same time. i think someone already mentioned that the second half of the season is being planned for in these earlyish games

Had no problem with the change. He needs some minutes at this level to show the standard he needs to be at. Not as if city are going to be cruising at 2 or 3 nil anytime soon. He had a couple poor touches and was caught out a few times. On the flip side, he just saw how perfect and switched on he needs to be.

Positive 25 minutes for him and we still got the 3 points. Rode our luck at times but we were always going to need a fair portion of luck to get that win at home. These young players are only going to help us going forward and as I said there will be no easy games to come into. Going to have to persevere at times as fans. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think what happens with Bakinson is Nige reacts to certain situations, there was one just in front of me in the Dolman when he made no attempt whatsoever to put a challenge in, just after he was too weak in a tackle & was taken off.

He isn’t my favourite but thought he was no poorer than others yesterday & could have stayed on, at least for another 10.

I’d have moved Weimann up top for Martin & brought on Scott first, then O’Dowda for Bakinson afterwards.

I think that was nearer my thinking. When Bakinson came off I would have wanted a little more solidity or impact. COD slotting into CMF and able to run at their defence takes pressure off too. For that situation I thought Banarous was a little light weight for the situation, I know there are rarely perfect times to blood youngsters, but we needed to battle through that last 15 minutes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, firstdivision said:

He’s not written him off. He’s merely stated that in that game and in that situation, he wasn’t ready or able to do what was required. He makes a sound tactical point and it crossed my mind, too, that AB could have been taken off. It’s not a comment about his undoubted potential, just an analysis of what was needed in the last 20 minutes. 
I agree with Graham - it was a poor choice of sub and the young lad really struggled. But good luck to him. I hope he’s got something about him. We could do with some players who get us excited because we don’t have many of them at the moment.

Fair point however it would be more constructive to feed some positive energy behind the lad rather than highlighting a hypothetical tactical situation/weakness that didn’t transpire in fact the change rightly or wrongly in anyone’s eyes resulted in a home win and 3 points, Benarous played his part. Agree I’m also hopeful he can bring some positivity to the season! 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Nige is quite reactive. It's the reason Tanner was subbed last week. Tanner was jogging instead of running back into position and Nige went mental on the touchline. Couple of minutes later and Tanner was subbed off.

It could be seen as a weakness, letting your emotions influence decisions too much.

I think it's also a case of Nige putting down markers on the squad though, and setting standards. 

If you want to come on this journey then 95% commitment isn't good enough. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Nige is quite reactive. It's the reason Tanner was subbed last week. Tanner was jogging instead of running back into position and Nige went mental on the touchline. Couple of minutes later and Tanner was subbed off.

It could be seen as a weakness, letting your emotions influence decisions too much.

I think it's also a case of Nige putting down markers on the squad though, and setting standards. 

Spot on.  It's aimed at the whole squad.  An indication he will not accept mental weakness.  Shape up or shove off.  
It didn't stop Tanner getting selected next game.  I much prefer this to the LJ policy of naming them in post match interviews then banishing them for months before picking them out the blue for a big game.  I can remember that being done with the likes of Adelukan at Leeds for example. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 30/10/2021 at 17:28, GrahamC said:

I don’t want to knock the kid, but how much off the standard was he?

Could see a case for taking him back off, so weak and letting his man go repeatedly.

It was like playing with 10 men, not sure he made a single positive contribution.

Too small, too slow, too passive and just not ready

22 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well if that is the standard set I think he could make 3 or 4 changes each week including Bakinson every time he plays