IGNORED

R-I-P Gerald Sinstadt:

Never to the dark side

He had a distinctive voice and spoke with a lot of authority. 

The iconic match not mentioned by the BBC here was his coverage of City's 1-0 win at Old Trafford in the old Second Division around 1974. 

I seem to remember him thanking Alan Dicks for daylight robbery! 

RIP Gerald. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HomerRed said:

The iconic match not mentioned by the BBC here was his coverage of City's 1-0 win at Old Trafford in the old Second Division around 1974. 

RIP Gerald. 

"Well Alan; how do you explain this day light robbery" to which AD replied he was not there to provide entertainment for Manchester United fans.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, HomerRed said:

RIP Gerald. 

I will never forget his post match assessment that we had time wasted and spoiled the entire match and got the benefit from it in injury time. :laugh:!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 22A said:

"Well Alan; how do you explain this day light robbery" to which AD replied he was not there to provide entertainment for Manchester United fans.

Did the double over them that season.

Sinstadt was an iconic commentator from an era when there were a lot of them, RIP.

• Like 1

Excellent commentator.

Unfortunately, like Frank Bough, his  career ruined by what might now be considered a trivial indiscretion. Given I worked in the area and knew all the 'alternate' establishments at the time (restricted myself personally to illegal drinking clubs a la The Winchester,) I thought he was set up by the Old Bill.

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I will never forget his post match assessment that we had time wasted and spoiled the entire match and got the benefit from it in injury time. :laugh:!

He was apoplectic, how dare you come to this great club and rob them of the points ! Never liked him after that, showed his true colours then. He also (allegedly ) a very dark side to him which came out in the papers in the 80's.

Just putting the other side to him, is all.   RIP anyway 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

a very dark side to him

Think 'dark side' is a tad harsh Slarti.

Irony being I used to walk past the doorway every morning and evening to and from the office wearing a very expensive Aquascutum raincoat replete with false pockets (as all fine quality Macs have.) The occupants through Gerald's doorway were nowhere near as dark as most of the characters in the underground drinking den around the corner, but that's for the memoir....

5 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Think 'dark side' is a tad harsh Slarti.

Irony being I used to walk past the doorway every morning and evening to and from the office wearing a very expensive Aquascutum raincoat replete with false pockets (as all fine quality Macs have.) The occupants through Gerald's doorway were nowhere near as dark as most of the characters in the underground drinking den around the corner, but that's for the memoir....

I just had this feeling there was "more" to it than that....... there was a bit of innuendo flying about, but I may be misremembering  ,I am 70 next month ! :dunno:

Edited by slartibartfast

19 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I just had this feeling there was "more" to it than that....... there was a bit of innuendo flying about, but I may be misremembering  ,I am 70 next month ! :dunno:

You've 10 years on me Slarti but our memories aren't that bad.

The incident I recall that brought his career low was in 94 but that establishment (illegal at the time,) burnt out a year or so later (killing two blokes in the process.) It appears Gerald was involved in a 'replay' a dozen or more years later at a now licenced establishment, though charges were eventually dropped.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HomerRed said:

RIP Gerald. 

Yes, I was there that day and the old man told me not to talk coming out of the ground !

RIP Gerald. A true sportsman.

• Like 2